Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: CNN..Cable News Network…America.

  1. #21

    Default

    As a matter of interest…..there are Two Television Series which shows how Politics and Media mesh.
    They are both called…..House of Cards. One is British and the other American….. same plot— different styles. Both on Netflix….or DVD.
    Quite true to the real World.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    As a matter of interest…..there are Two Television Series which shows how Politics and Media mesh.
    They are both called…..House of Cards. One is British and the other American….. same plot— different styles. Both on Netflix….or DVD.
    Quite true to the real World.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Moore, former Press Secretary, Military Legislative Aide at U.S. Senate (1984-1986)
    From the point of view of someone who worked on Capitol Hill for 14 years (House and Senate), and worked for 16 more years under four Presidents (Ds and Rs), and who is a native-born Washingtonian who still lives across the Potomac from the Nation’s Capital, I have no problem saying that House of Cards bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Hill or the presidency. None.
    Nor was it supposed to. It was a fun fictional romp filled with bad guys, sex, bad women, sex, occasional shots of the real Washington, DC, sex, and a whole bunch of political nonsense (and sex) that played well outside the Beltway because that’s what the American audience wanted.
    Here, inside the Beltway, we all had our favorite villains (plenty of those to go around in the real Washington) and heroes (not too many of those here in town in real-life). Many of the scenes were shot outside Washington, and that used to be one of the drinking game pleasures of House of Cards: take a shot every time someone drove across a bridge with the wrong background.
    In real life, watching paint dry is a lot more interesting than watching politicians and their staffs.
    https://www.quora.com/How-realistic-is-House-of-Cards
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."


  3. #23

    Default

    US rendition. Yup.
    UK Ditto. Yup……….Both called entertainment…..or Poetic Licence!

    Don't tell me Politics ‘is lily white’. Wasn't there ‘much horse trading’ etc.,etc going on within the SNP where the Two Fish got into it, and Salmond’s legal bill was in excess of £500,000…and that was all that was announced.
    And of course Watergate which was a tiny expose’ of the entire event….And the Two Kennedy’s were Assassinated!
    And I was Seconded to Govt for a time…………

    What was The Crown! Again Enuff said. Watch….
    Last edited by The Horseman; 18-Jan-22 at 15:35.

  4. #24

    Default

    I find it strange that you find no place, in your critique of the not-so-lily-white UK political scene, for those wonderful, money-saving Conservatives you have been praising so much.

    If anyone were to write the history of political sleeze in the UK then at least ¾ of it would be taken up by the Conservative party and the various nefarious deeds of its politicians in office. Macmillan's government saw the Profumo affair; one of the biggest political scandals ever and one which indirectly led the PM to resign. Various members of the the Thatcher/Major governments were also embroiled in seemingly endless scandals. Jump forward to the current Conservative government and the pattern continues with Boris Johnson making most of the current headlines.

    The Tories have taken sleeze to new and previously unchartered depths. If you wish to malign any politicians for involvement in sleeze then that's fine but don't do it in a manner which implies that the Tories are paragons of virtue. They most certainly are not.


    Links:-

    Profumo Affair - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profumo_affair

    Thatcher/Major Gov't - https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...t-1592762.html

    Cameron/May.Johnson Gov't - https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0ab5f28460b65

  5. #25

    Default

    Perhaps I should have said….All Governments have problems/issues with Honesty.
    BUT not all Politicians are corrupt.
    We have them also.

    The most extreme that I have heard, was The Disaster Aid being sent to Haiti, where the entire Gov’t sold all the Donated items.
    AND…How Salmond was charged with 13 Counts of Sexually related Offences..2 of Rape, the most serious of all Sex Crimes, and he was found Not Guilty! I don't understand.

    My comment on the Tories saving money, comes from the years when I was Seconded to The Canadian Gov’t.
    To me, an Outsider/Insider, I worked within a Conservative Gov’t, and did find that they ‘Counted their Pennies’. But people are people and the individual does get into Mischief!
    What is fortunate is that they do get found out and sometimes prosecuted. Or they will resign ‘To spend more time with their Families! (Always a hint at Misdeeds).

    House of Cards…UK edition. …..quote from Gov’t…Teresa May became PM The House of Cards way!
    House of Cards US edition…..Bill Clinton said it was quite true, BUT in the real World they would never get an Education Bill passed so quicklyI. Yup, even Obama made some positive comments about it.

    But as with the Populace…..what I comment on will be disputed……..but before you do…there is Google!
    There are 3 sides to every story. 1 for…1 against….1 In the middle!
    Regards…..

    ps…Watch ‘The Wire’…Crime Series…..Crave, HBO on several……….Quite real…Been there…done that!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 18-Jan-22 at 19:43.

  6. #26

    Default

    Cheeze Whizz…
    Now the BBC are running Fake stories of ‘our trucker’ convoys.
    It is amazing that the Main News Stories are based on some ‘Nutbar’ posting Garbage info on her Twitter Account!…
    What a sad World!

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Now the BBC are running Fake stories of ‘our trucker’ convoys.
    What do you mean "now"? Are you trying to suggest that this is a new thing for the BBC? Or is it that they have reported something in a manner you don't like so it suddenly becomes fake news?

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    What do you mean "now"? Are you trying to suggest that this is a new thing for the BBC? Or is it that they have reported something in a manner you don't like so it suddenly becomes fake news?
    No Corky…I originally said beware of News on BBC as they were Copying CNN., the disgraced US TV station.
    Now I see they are ‘citing’ matters that were posted by some Nutbar on her Twitter Account….with No Proof.
    Now meant they are reporting on Canada!
    So u r not for Scottish Autonomy?!

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    So u r not for Scottish Autonomy?!
    You really haven't been paying attention.

    Just out of interest, Canada only became fully independent from the UK in 1982. Would you advocate a return to any level of UK involvement in the government of Canada? My guess is that your answer would be "No". What percentage of Canadian citizens do you think would wish to give up even the slightest level of control over their lives and pass it back to the UK? My guess would be less than 0.01% and that is probably a massive over-estimate. So, of course I favour autonomy. It's the natural way of things for people to want to live in a country where the decisions affecting their lives are made in that country. In Scotland our lives are largely controlled by what England wants or votes for - Brexit for example.

    So, to get back to the main topic of discussion. I am always wary of news on the BBC no matter where it comes from. They showed their true colours in 2014 and I no longer have any faith in their impartiality.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    You really haven't been paying attention.

    Just out of interest, Canada only became fully independent from the UK in 1982. Would you advocate a return to any level of UK involvement in the government of Canada? My guess is that your answer would be "No". What percentage of Canadian citizens do you think would wish to give up even the slightest level of control over their lives and pass it back to the UK? My guess would be less than 0.01% and that is probably a massive over-estimate. So, of course I favour autonomy. It's the natural way of things for people to want to live in a country where the decisions affecting their lives are made in that country. In Scotland our lives are largely controlled by what England wants or votes for - Brexit for example.

    So, to get back to the main topic of discussion. I am always wary of news on the BBC no matter where it comes from. They showed their true colours in 2014 and I no longer have any faith in their impartiality.
    Am confused…isn't that what the SNP is leading, but u say ur not SNP…..

  11. #31

    Default

    Not everyone who supports independence is a member of the SNP. For example, the Greens and Alba provide an alternative home for many. Then of course, there are those folk who don't like being a member of any party but still exercise their right to vote on polling days.

    Any chance you could comment on my post about Canada???

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Not everyone who supports independence is a member of the SNP. For example, the Greens and Alba provide an alternative home for many. Then of course, there are those folk who don't like being a member of any party but still exercise their right to vote on polling days.

    Any chance you could comment on my post about Canada???
    The Queen is still our Sovereign, I suppose…..
    One thing I know is that all Federal Gov’t vehicles are registered to Her Majesty The Queen!
    I was in The US and was stopped by the State Police……they were trying to understand The Concept! Haha.
    True, we are fine the way we are……but we are not ‘joined at the hip’ like Scotland is!
    If the Majority of Scots want to ‘take a hike’ good luck to them!
    I did read somewhere that Alba was the work o’ Wee Eck, so that people had a choice and it perhaps it would increase the chances of a Victory.
    My thoughts were that to pushing the Separation during Covid was not good.
    Better working together….
    ’What will be, will be’!
    I remember many years ago when I was young, seeing a Rock at Lybster Harbour with the letters SNP written in White paint. I think it still exists.
    And I guess that ‘James Bond’ wont be donating this year…What a great man!
    Canada has been ‘middle if the road’, but we are also changing. Tremendous pressure from America, and their way of life. A bit sad….

  13. #33

    Default

    The Ukraine/Russian Conflict.

    ******* An independent News Source has ‘proved’, that most of the Images seen of Destruction in Ukraine, came from ‘File Footage’ taken over the years. The pics are mostly a Total Fake!
    And Bernie Sanders, the American Politician made a Huge Speech recently!
    Yes, he sat and read the Speech to an empty Chamber….if you watch it, there is no one there. His assistant turns the Video on and the Speech is produced and sent to the Media outlets!
    TV, and pics in the Newspapers are not what they seem…..

    Caveat Emptor!

  14. #34

    Default

    Come on Horseman, you can do better than that.

    Which independent news source?
    Who has decided that the news source you mention is actually independent?
    Who has been printing these "fake" images?
    How have they been proven to be fake?
    And what are you actually trying to prove - that there is no war in Ukraine; that Ukraine has always looked like a war-zone so any photos and video footage from the recent past could be used and we would none the wiser or that very few western newspapers have journalists present in the area?

    I think everyone knows that newspapers are not impartial - at least in the UK. If someone buys a newspaper then presumably it's one whose editorial stance they are comfortable with. As you say, caveat emptor.

  15. #35

    Default

    Comparison of Pics from recent stories…
    The woman with the cuts and burns on here face. Yup, inflicted by the Russians…NO..it was a Gas explosion 2018.
    Jets being shot down……Iraq War.
    Buildings on fire…….It’s nearly all File Footage….A Company Analyzed them, then gave the results to a Uni for comparison, and Students confirmed same.
    Just ‘Sayin’…….
    People seem to believe what they are being told…I have over the years, and then become cynical when it is discovered.
    Much of it is ‘creative’ reporting and far from The Truth.

    Now which of the ‘Fish’ do you believe? Pls answer that one!!

  16. #36

    Default

    A few of us on here have been saying for years that you cannot trust the print media. I'm pleased that you now seem convinced of that. Their lies and manipulations are just two of the many reasons why circulation for most has been in free fall in recent years.

    But, you still haven't really backed up your assertions about the war in Ukraine. "A" company; "A" Uni; and "Students" is hardly definitive evidence.

    As to your last point I believe neither, both and each individually depending on what they have said.

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    A few of us on here have been saying for years that you cannot trust the print media. I'm pleased that you now seem convinced of that. Their lies and manipulations are just two of the many reasons why circulation for most has been in free fall in recent years.

    But, you still haven't really backed up your assertions about the war in Ukraine. "A" company; "A" Uni; and "Students" is hardly definitive evidence.

    As to your last point I believe neither, both and each individually depending on what they have said.
    *******/Corky………I shall attempt to retrieve….It was a Simple Study!
    The pictures were compared against Stock Footage from previous years, and they were identical!

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    The Ukraine/Russian Conflict.

    ******* An independent News Source has ‘proved’, that most of the Images seen of Destruction in Ukraine, came from ‘File Footage’ taken over the years. The pics are mostly a Total Fake!...
    That's one of the reasons I trust CNN...
    How CNN geolocates and verifies social media footage from Ukraine

    & the BBC...
    Many misleading images have been shared online
    Further false images shared online

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    ...And Bernie Sanders, the American Politician made a Huge Speech recently!
    Yes, he sat and read the Speech to an empty Chamber….
    Quite a common practice I believe on both sides.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."


  19. #39

    Default

    CNN is likely America’s Most Corrupt media Source.
    Just Google what they have been doing.
    They are the Voice of The Democratic Party, and heavily profiled Donald Trump and his link to the Russians, which was all lies, and now those involved are before The Courts.
    And look at the Management. Perhaps a dozen gone, with Zucker the Main Man……at the top is gone.
    A picture on a computer screen does not prove anything!

    I do agree with your final comment of Bernie performing….but this is The ‘Fakeness’ which many people are not aware of!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 01-Mar-22 at 17:54.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    I forgot to add that over here we have OFCOM regulating accuracy of facts to ensure that there is no intentional lying on broadcast media, you may not agree with the spin they put on the facts (& I often don't) but at least you can trust them to be truthful. That is why Fox News no longer broadcasts in the UK unlike CNN which does.

    The US used to have similar rules to ensure accuracy of reporting but they where scrapped in the 80's by Reagan.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •