Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Brexit beginning to bite?

Default Is Brexit beginning to bite?

It seems to me there is increasing evidence that Brexit is having a detrimental effect upon the economy. According to news reports The UK's economic recovery is being slowed as a result of labour shortages - EU citizens have left the UK in huge numbers. In the meat industry, for example, they are considering using prisoners to cover for staff shortages. Transport bosses have also flagged recruitment difficulties as a serious and on-going problem. In addition, there appear to be huge problems for many businesses acquiring materials. The construction industry is reportedly dealing with major supply problems especially affecting cement and timber. The two countries which are the biggest cement producers in Europe are France and Germany. 90% of the UK's building timber is imported, with Scandinavia, Germany and Austria being the biggest suppliers. The UK is not guaranteed the continuity of supply it enjoyed whilst we were in the EU.

At a local level Tesco in Wick have started to widen the aisles by removing shelving. Prior to this it cannot have escaped anyone's notice that, at times, some shelves have been vary bare. Are Tesco removing shelving so as not to have large tracts of it lying empty? Presumably it looks better to have fewer but full shelves rather than lots of empty ones. Fewer shelves, of course, means a reduced range of items on sale. Are we witnessing Tesco effectively acknowledging that some items are no longer going to be available?

I realise that there are lots of other factors affecting business at the moment; not least of which is Covid but I can't help but think that the full impact of Brexit is finally becoming clear.

!00% agree, it was only a matter of time as the populations emerged from lockdown that the full cost of Brexit would start to be seen.

Regards labour shortages, it would be good to see some employers and Govs spending money on training schemes so that people that actually live in the UK are given the chance to learn skills etc. I know we need the trained people now but we also need to think of the future.

I suspect some labour shortages will be filled by the Afghan refugees that the west has let down so badly, they will, I'm sure appreciate a new life opportunity. Good luck to them !

But there is another factor that is to blame for empty shelves and that is squeezing lorry drivers of a fair day's wage over that last few decades, that should have nothing to do with Brexit but unfortunately it did as Eastern EU drivers who filled the gap in numbers had lower standards of living in their countries where their wages went further.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Brexit really is beginning to bite. New customs regulations came into force on 1 January 2022 which have resulted in huge queues at ports, particularly Dover.

There are a number of reasons why this is not headline news in all the papers. Firstly, the various scandals afflicting the Tory government, secondly the situation in Ukraine and lastly and most importantly the fact that a great swathe of our press campaigned for Brexit and they don't want you to know this is happening in case you blame them.

Have a look at this video in which some lorry drivers describe how things have changed for the worse since the new year.

I came upon a Peter Sefanovich (lawyer, political commentator and vlogger) video today. It was a sort of fact checking of a Jacob Ress Mogg interview with Nick Ferrari on LBC. You can view it here if you wish - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA1byj0QRJU

The one thing that stood out was the extent to which Brexit has caused GB to miss out on a global economic recovery. The screen grab below is from a section of the video that illustrates the issue graphically. I'm sorry it is not great quality but if you click on the image to enlarge it you will see the what has been happening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brexit trade slump.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	35763

All very worrying I am sure you will agree. Not only worrying but annoying since those of us in Scotland voted 2:1 against this folly.

Here is the Guardian's take on how Brexit is impacting prices.

https://archive.ph/30y8g

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Here is the Guardian's take on how Brexit is impacting prices.

https://archive.ph/30y8g
    Brexit was always going to hit prices.

Here is a take on inflation after brexit that also impacts prices massively https://www.newstatesman.com/busines...flation-causes

Part of the problem was that many people were not voting for brexit for any good reasons - just the issues they did not like such as immigration. The government thought it would go the way they wanted but got it massively wrong - exit David Cameron. They never explained the possible consequences on a whole range of issues but argued for things they thought would win the vote - make our own decisions etc as if the EU decisions were all bad. Have control over our own affairs- well now we have it and look where it got us but the arguments will run on and on as covid and war pile on the pressures and allow the brexiteers to blame other matters for our current woes.

We knew what we had with the EU membership and now we know what we have outside it but how many people really understand now the consequences of brexit that will unravel for a few years to come. Many rules and regulations have not been sorted out yet. We have yet to see any benefits that I can find but plenty of downsides. Ministers may go on about Trade regulations that will benefit us on trade- really - so far it looks like a dogs breakfast of trying to dump rules and change logos.

I did not vote for brexit but am not crowing about how its turning out as it affects everyone. I just with wish the vote had never been put as a referendum on 50%plus majority hardly gets a good answer to anything. The other side will be unhappy and the told you so can go on for years either way.
    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 31-Jul-22 at 21:50.

I imagine you know that I didn't vote for Brexit either. The emotions I am feeling, as the full implications of Brexit emerge is not schadenfreude but rather is anger at the way in which the entire issue of Brexit has been handled. Everyone living on these islands is going to feel the effects for a very long time. Virtually every aspect of our lives will be detrimentally affected. That is nothing to crow about.

I think I reserve my greatest anger for the print media who from the moment the UK joined the Common Market in 1973 have relentlessly lied about the role and actions of the EU. They bear a heavy burden of blame for what has happened yet, even today, continue to smear the EU and its member states for the problems we are all experiencing. Witness the attempts to blame France for delays at Dover. Over the years the press whipped up a storm of anger over immigation and asylum seekers and demanded an end to freedom of movement. They got their wish. However, whether by accident or design, they failed to admit that ending freedom of movement would work both ways and so our freedom would be substantially curtailed when we want to travel to or work within the EU. The delays at Dover are almost entirely as a consequence of Brexit. The reality is that France is doing all it can to speed up transit but is bound by law to conduct checks on travellers wishing to cross into the EU whether they are from the UK or Australia or Brasil etc, etc. If France were to conduct the checks in strict accordance with the law then the delays would be far longer.

And just to keep the mood cheery (not) we have the delightful prospect of Sunak or Truss as PM. The far right agenda they have been peddling sends a shiver down my spine. Things are going to get much worse when our human rights have been reduced; trades unions have been further restricted; the MSM continues to reflect the views of a few billionnaire owners; the cost of living skyrockets; the right to peaceful protest is restricted; millions enter fuel poverty, etc, etc. but large corporations continue to make vast profits.

Welcome to the nightmare.

Fully agree with Bill Fernie on the statement "I just with wish the vote had never been put as a referendum on 50%plus majority hardly gets a good answer to anything" Lets hope any future referendum's on anything demand at least a 60% majority before they are acted upon. The UK would be an entirely different place if that plan had been followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Lets hope any future referendum's on anything demand at least a 60% majority before they are acted upon. The UK would be an entirely different place if that plan had been followed.
    Quite right - with 62% of the population of Scotland voting against Brexit we should never have been dragged out of the EU against our will. I think that's quite a decisive result and gets a "good answer" to the question. Such a shame it meant bu**er all because the wishes of the people of Scotland don't amount to a hill of beans in the UK.

‘Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…’

Winston S Churchill, 11 November 1947

Democracy is a fragile thing and we must do all we can to protect it. After all, it invites its own downfall as people could democratically vote to abolish democracy. Setting the bar at anything other than 50% (plus one vote) may not be perfect but it is a damn site less imperfect than a system where the majority does not win. Imagine the ructions if 59.9% of people voted for a change but things stayed the same because 40.1% voted for the status quo. That is not democracy. That is a recipe for disaster.

I really don't need to say anything about this video. The message is pretty clear.

Corky Smeek says ...."Quite right - with 62% of the population of Scotland voting against Brexit we should never have been dragged out of the EU against our will."

Do you deliberately lie or are you just being obtuse?

62% of the Scottish population did not vote to remain, as well you know.

Less than 42% of eligible voters voted remain.

Out of 3,987,112 eligible voters, 'only' 1,661,191 voted to remain.

1,018,322 voted to leave.

1,307,599 were happy to accept the result whichever way it went, therefore the vast majority of the Scottish population were happy to accept the result of Brexit, so stop your bleating and whinging about things being unfair and implying Scots were dragged out of the EU kicking and screaming. Many of us can see Brexit hasn't been that great but the vast majority of Scots were happy for it to happen.

and there was a large number of scots (Brits) in europe working that werent even alowed to vote.
    my problem now is that anything ordered from UK takes at least 5 weeks and if the pack is to big then come extra costs.
    the other plus is that now all those eu workers that left UK are now emploed in the EU.

Nothin is perfect but why make it worse.....

Corky Smeek says ...."Quite right - with 62% of the population of Scotland voting against Brexit we should never have been dragged out of the EU against our will."

Do you deliberately lie or are you just being obtuse?

62% of the Scottish population did not vote to remain, as well you know.

Less than 42% of eligible voters voted remain.

Out of 3,987,112 eligible voters, 'only' 1,661,191 voted to remain.

1,018,322 voted to leave.

1,307,599 were happy to accept the result whichever way it went, therefore the vast majority of the Scottish population were happy to accept the result of Brexit, so stop your bleating and whinging about things being unfair and implying Scots were dragged out of the EU kicking and screaming. Many of us can see Brexit hasn't been that great but the vast majority of Scots were happy for it to happen.
    Ok, I'll accept that I should have said 62% of those voting. But I will not accept anything else you say as it is just utter nonsense within the context of how democracy works in the UK. People vote: you count the votes and whichever side gets the most votes wins. Scotland voted overwhelmingly to Remain and for you to suggest that those who didn't vote somehow be included in the equation is ludicrous. According to you, 58% of Scots were happy for Brexit to happen. I'm sorry but that is just not a credible view to hold

Things are unfair. Scotland is treated appallingly by this Union and I will bleat and whinge for as long as it takes to get Scotland out of it. Oh!, and "Brexit hasn't been that great..." ​must rank as one of the greatest understatements of all time.

@ Goodfellers

I'm beginning to see where you garner your ideas from. GBNews and the Daily Mail really do have a lot to answer for.

Corky…remember the hundreds of people who marched on Wick in The 1800’s…..
    Ya gotta get something going…and the local Politicians are ‘quite comfortable as they are! Big salaries and expenses!

Rattle their Chains!

Corky's explanation of how democracy works "People vote: you count the votes and whichever side gets the most votes wins." He therefore accepts the UK wide vote for the UK to leave the EU. I'm glad you cleared that up.

The people of the UK voted to exit the EU so therefore you must accept that wish. Just because the people of a certain area didn't vote that way is irrelevant in a UK wide vote. It wasn't a town, county or region specific vote, it was a UK vote which means the votes from the entire UK are counted, so get it out of your head that Scotlands vote should somehow be assessed differently.

It is fact that anyone who doesn't vote is happy to accept the result of the vote whichever way it goes, that's widely accepted. Therefore I stand by my comment that the majority of eligible Scottish voters were happy for the UK (including Scotland) to leave the EU.

Corky's explanation of how democracy works "People vote: you count the votes and whichever side gets the most votes wins." He therefore accepts the UK wide vote for the UK to leave the EU. I'm glad you cleared that up.

The people of the UK voted to exit the EU so therefore you must accept that wish. Just because the people of a certain area didn't vote that way is irrelevant in a UK wide vote. It wasn't a town, county or region specific vote, it was a UK vote which means the votes from the entire UK are counted, so get it out of your head that Scotlands vote should somehow be assessed differently.

It is fact that anyone who doesn't vote is happy to accept the result of the vote whichever way it goes, that's widely accepted. Therefore I stand by my comment that the majority of eligible Scottish voters were happy for the UK (including Scotland) to leave the EU.
    When have I EVER said I did not accept the Brexit vote result? Answer: NEVER! I didn't and still don't like the result but I have accepted it despite the fact that Scotland voted Remain. That doesn't mean I am going to sit idly by and do nothing so please expect more "bleating" and "whinging" as you so inelegantly put it. Scotland at least has a chance of re-entry to the EU if we first divest ourselves of this iniquitous Union. The No campaign lied through its teeth throughout IndyRef1. Leavers lied through their teeth throughout the Brexit campaign. Both decisions have had a calamitous impact upon Scotland. If you were one of those who voted No and Leave then you bear a heavy burden of responsibility for what is occurring. But I know you don't care about that. After all you have "assets" and are quite prepared to let others feel the pain that you (in part) have caused.

I would like to see some evidence to back your assertion that non-voters are widly accepted to be happy to accept vote outcomes. Certainly, it is a concept that I have never encountered before.

By all means stand by your ludicrous comment. It seems entirely apt that you should do so.

@ Goodfellers

I have been thinking about your logic on non-voters being considered as "happy to accept the result". It seems I may have been rash in jumping to such an early judgement. An apology may even be in order as it turns out you have possibly just put forward the greatest idea yet to ensure Scotland gains it independence.

Douglas Ross has previously said the Scottish Conservatives will play no part in IndyRef2. It has even been suggested that Unionists boycott the vote. That being the case the Yes side is very likely to win the greater share of votes actually cast. If that occurs then the No side will presumably point to the invalidity of the result, as they see it. But using your logic, all the non-voting Unionists will be considered as de-facto Yes votes, ie, voters who are "happy to accept the result". This would result in a massive majority for Yes and so end any arguments about the validity or otherwise of the result.

So, in conclusion, I take it all back. I support your idea whole-heartedly and I am sure those of us on the Yes side will forever be in your debt for securing an independent Scotland. I may even make representations to have every Union Street in Scotland re-named as Goodfellers Street.

Are you performing at Edinburgh this year, if not you should!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laughing-emoji-3.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	35825

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast