Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Cab Project

I've been looking at 10" eminence speakers and I think i've got 2 options.

Either a 100w guitar speaker or go into loudspeakers which can be 150 - 300w.

The details on the loudspeakers info say that it can be used for guitar and bass amps aswell so would I be aswell trying for one of them?

like i said i will always go with a higher rated speaker than what you need just for safety i think you will be fine with those highwattage emmi's' what do you think chobbers

Moncur showed me a picture of the cab in the pub tonight, it's pretty small... tiny in fact. I think a 10" would be the best bet.

sounds good what was the original size of speaker in the cabinet do you kno

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by theweemidget View Post
    like i said i will always go with a higher rated speaker than what you need just for safety i think you will be fine with those highwattage emmi's' what do you think chobbers
    TBH I'm not a huge eminece fan I go more for Jensen in the comparisons I tried & IMO celestion didn't even enter the race. But certainly the high output emmis would be fine in so far that it will give you a clean sound at higher volume, I just prefer the tone of Jensens which is why we have two 2x12 alnico jensens & a fender pro fitted with ceramic jensens

& another factor that just kicked me in the head is the coil. Ceramic or Alnico................alnico always seems to be more revered??

What are you trying to achieve with this cab? Acoustic and electric would seem to have different needs particularly with a small cab like this. Using a 150 watts with a 10" driver would seem like trying to get a quart out of a pint pot (don't know the metric version!!!!). I wouldn't use a bass speaker, as someone suggested, as the cone is too slow for the higher frequencies and you will spend all your time trying to cut the bass frequencies to get your guitar to sit correctly with a band and you would risk cutting the punch of bass instruments as bass sounds conflict and cancel each other (sound mans nightmare). With solo guitar they can be very pleasing in my experience and I can see why some one would like a bass speaker with tweeter and squawker or, depending on the range of the speaker, just tweeter for acoustic. I would, without hesitation, avoid modern HH speakers. They tend to lack sparkle and depth. Although Laney used to fit them in their guitar amps (they now use Celestion) every one swaps them out eventually in search of better tone. I swapped the 10" in my LC15 for an Eminence legend (discontinued version, years ago). Although I would normally agree with Chobbesjnr about Jenson I tried their CQ10 in the amp but preferred the less farty (which can be a good thing ) Eminence with that amp.

It has to be a case of suck it and see.

I would be surprised if a 12"x 12" cab is not a little bit small even for a 10" and would think it more at home with an 8". At least partially close the back or you will be dialing in the bass and it will probably sound unnatural and age the speaker prematurely. Completely open it would loose projection and not have the balls to make up for it. Science is much less important than taste in a guitar speaker than a Hi-fi or PA speaker. In the latter you are striving to produce a pure, uncoloured tone, but in the former cabinet/speaker tone is as important and individual as that of the guitar and amp. I can find good tone in most boxes but, of course, the real tone is in the fingers but I have never got quite there!!!

If you do build a cabinet never nail. Either use carpentry joints or baton screw and glue.
    They break our legs and we say "thank you" when they offer us crutches!!!

stratman it was me that suggested a bass speaker with the use of tweeters, I use bass speakers for guitar and tbh i really like em and the same goes for accoustic guitar with or without tweeters I found that my 2x12 with bass speakers sounded better than a mate's 4x12 with celestion G12Ts but modern speakers sound crap (can i say that) because the speakers have not been broken in properly i prefer the older speakers cause they are easier to break in than these modern1s imo. My bass speakers are as old as the hills yet they are still very tight so maybe that is how they sound good to my ears. but cabinet construction wise i agree with you

I guess the best idea is trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by theweemidget View Post
    stratman it was me that suggested a bass speaker with the use of tweeters, I use bass speakers for guitar and tbh i really like em and the same goes for accoustic guitar with or without tweeters I found that my 2x12 with bass speakers sounded better than a mate's 4x12 with celestion G12Ts but modern speakers sound crap (can i say that) because the speakers have not been broken in properly i prefer the older speakers cause they are easier to break in than these modern1s imo. My bass speakers are as old as the hills yet they are still very tight so maybe that is how they sound good to my ears. but cabinet construction wise i agree with you
    You surprise me theweemidget. What style are you playing and in what sort of setting.? I could imagine with a big jazz guitar they would be a winner. What make/model are the drivers? I have heard 15" bass speaker used with beautiful effect with Celtic harp, but that's another story. Sound is a very subjective thing but I would worry about those lower frequency cancellations and a pleased you are happy with your sound. I have spent nearly 40 years trying to get the perfect sound at the expense of learning to play properly!!!

i play through an old marshall valve head with my sg in to the ugliest looking 2x12 you have ever seen these have celestion powercells they have 150 watts a piece. I play bass through them as well. I play a lot of rock'n'roll to jazz to country to classic rock and they produce the magic everytime. bass wise i play everything and it sounds sweet. Hmmm place settings i just play in my room just now but i have played with bands and it really was the icing on the cake. I have been playing 8 years and i have found my sound.

I wonder what is going on with speaker makers over here i mean they reissue all the old stuff yet they can't do it as good as the americans. the americans can do it right and i have heard the proof.

powercells are a unique speaker and i think celestion discontinued them bout 20 years ago they are a very heavy duty speaker solid cast iron frames huge magnets that weigh about 5kg each.

Bass speakers have changed over the years the 1s up until 20 years ago handled higher frequencies better than these new ones so yeah i do agree that the modern cones are slower heck the old 15 i used to have sounded superb with guitar.

I can't really comment on new bass speakers are mine are very old but the old speakers sound real good.

jeid trial and error is usually not the best way to go but in this case it might be more suitable
    Last edited by theweemidget; 01-Jul-07 at 13:13.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

AHEM, I erred. Pointed out by Stratman

alnico & ceramic magnets.................I realised the misteke as soon as the ol' man said it after I got back from the wedding I played

ATC speakers........................they got rep, lots of it as well

ahhh this has become an interesting thread atc are good. Moncur i bet ye are hevin your doubts now. You think speaker cabinets are simple but i think i took this thread off track man sorry bout that and the fact i thought your cabinet was for 12" speakers, maybe we should have a speakers etc thread

Okay what i've done is bought a 10" Eminence speaker which is capable of 150w (the 250 and 300w ones were out of stock). Im going to go for a closed back design aswell. Remember folks all im wanting to do is see if my wee project is do-able or not.

So.... next question......

What type of cable and jack socket do i need to buy to hook the whole thing up? are there any other parts I should know about which I need to buy?

Good move on the closed back. Use heavy duty single mains cable (preferably different colours for identification. As short a length as possible and a normal 1/4 inch jack socket. Alacam could probably sort you out if you are up here or Maplins or any music shop or ebay. Socket and plate from an old scrap les paul type axe? Solder the ring of the socket to neg. and the tip to pos. (poitive os usually shown by a red dot or + sign) You will probably need a recess plate for the socket and and solder of course. Hope it does what you want.

I've spoken to Duress' soundman and he says he'll sort me out with the wiring on it.

Now all i need is some suggestions to customise the cab!!!!! lol

tartan, flaps on the side for holding beer glasses, u could have a mic stand attached to it, oh the possibilities

I believe certain sporran embellishments are about to be banned. get them on. I have no idea what they are and would probably find the offensive but there you go.

I actually think the Denim idea is a very good one, you could have pockets on their and buttons and so on, put plecturms and so forth in the pockets or some smokes if you smoke. The Tartan idea is a good one too.

Im liking the tartan idea lol! Think the sporran laws is to do with types of furs and leathers being used if its been purchased within the last few years or something. Mother used to hire out kilts so im sure il find something old/tatty/suitable up in her loft.

Sumethin abowt Kiwlts!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast