Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Speaker Cab Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Speaker Cab Project

Hey Folks need a bit of advice

Building a compact 1x12 speaker cabinet out of an old combo amp.

My amp heads that i would like to use on it are a Marshall AVT150 (for rock music) and a Crate powerblock (for acoustic gigs).

Now, Im needing advice on what the best speaker to use for this project is, and also where can i get the necessary parts from (speaker, wire, input jack etc).

PLUS im looking for suggestions on what material to use to customise the cabinet. Best suggestion so far is Denim with pockets for my plectrums/ slides etc lol.

The best speaker depends on the sound you want I guess. The speakers that you have in both cabs you use are Celestion G12T-75's. Use that as a reference point for your sound. Celestion also have clips on their website of the kind sounds their speakers cab achieve. Other speaker companies to look into are Eminence and JBL. I'm sure there's more. Remember to make sure that you get one with an ohm rating suitable for both amps (8 shoud probably be fine).

Watford Valves sometimes have good deals on speakers (www.watfordvalves.com), that's where I got my four Celestion Vintage 30's. You can pick up good quality inputs, cable and handles from eBay for pennies.

Make sure you use good thick strong wood. I'm sure nailing it together would be ok... but making wood joints would probably make it sound a whole lot better.

There's plenty of companies on eBay that sell vinyl covering for amps as well.

Oh aye, to remove purple, think paint stripper. How much is that thing selling for now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    The best speaker depends on the sound you want I guess. The speakers that you have in both cabs you use are Celestion G12T-75's. Use that as a reference point for your sound. Celestion also have clips on their website of the kind sounds their speakers cab achieve. Other speaker companies to look into are Eminence and JBL. I'm sure there's more. Remember to make sure that you get one with an ohm rating suitable for both amps (8 shoud probably be fine).

Watford Valves sometimes have good deals on speakers (www.watfordvalves.com), that's where I got my four Celestion Vintage 30's. You can pick up good quality inputs, cable and handles from eBay for pennies.

Make sure you use good thick strong wood. I'm sure nailing it together would be ok... but making wood joints would probably make it sound a whole lot better.

There's plenty of companies on eBay that sell vinyl covering for amps as well.

Oh aye, to remove purple, think paint stripper. How much is that thing selling for now?
    Cheers for that, yeah found a couple of 8ohm ones that should do the trick as both ampheads have 8ohm impedance. The G12T-75 is sold out on that page so leaning towards the G12K-100 as it's more powerful as well (im just hoping that it will fit into the cabinet i've got lol).

May open up the back of my 2x12 later on to see what other parts i'll need but just now im assuming that i just need an input socket with the relevant wires to the speaker?

Oh and im not selling the cab at the moment, depending on how this turns out I may try to sell it later.

moncur a G12T75 sounds crap imo for rock stuff yeah it might be good but acoustic stuff not really i would go for a lower frequency speaker if you are going to do acoustic stuff and the G1275t ain't' warm enough. I would actually put a bass guitar speaker in for acoustic and imo bass guitar speakers sound better for electric guitar they handle the lows better. I would use mdf for an acoustic cabinet 12mm thick but remember to allow room for the speaker and air flow

I suggest a G12T75 as a reference point anyhow. I am also not so keen on them. They lack definition if you ask me. They seem to have a huge gap in the mid range field. However, they supposedly sound good when mixed in a 4x12 with Vintage 30's(which are awesome for heavy rock music). Check out the sample on the internet though. Power isn't everything. Greenbacks are great speakers... however, opinions on good tone are radically different.

greenbacks hmmm not really suitable you would be more apt to blow em G12T75s yes they have a very boosted midrange i don't think the new G12T75s are that good the older 1s are better. but for an acoustic cab you may want a tweeter/horn for the tops. i played a superbass and played guitar throught it with a g1275 loaded cab and it sounded like crap it didn't have the oomph and when i played through my 2x12 loaded with celestion powercells same power rating as the whole 4x12 and my 2x12 was better to my ears. I would say get a powercell but celestion don''t make em anymore