Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Cab Project

Default Speaker Cab Project

Hey Folks need a bit of advice

Building a compact 1x12 speaker cabinet out of an old combo amp.

My amp heads that i would like to use on it are a Marshall AVT150 (for rock music) and a Crate powerblock (for acoustic gigs).

Now, Im needing advice on what the best speaker to use for this project is, and also where can i get the necessary parts from (speaker, wire, input jack etc).

PLUS im looking for suggestions on what material to use to customise the cabinet. Best suggestion so far is Denim with pockets for my plectrums/ slides etc lol.

The best speaker depends on the sound you want I guess. The speakers that you have in both cabs you use are Celestion G12T-75's. Use that as a reference point for your sound. Celestion also have clips on their website of the kind sounds their speakers cab achieve. Other speaker companies to look into are Eminence and JBL. I'm sure there's more. Remember to make sure that you get one with an ohm rating suitable for both amps (8 shoud probably be fine).

Watford Valves sometimes have good deals on speakers (www.watfordvalves.com), that's where I got my four Celestion Vintage 30's. You can pick up good quality inputs, cable and handles from eBay for pennies.

Make sure you use good thick strong wood. I'm sure nailing it together would be ok... but making wood joints would probably make it sound a whole lot better.

There's plenty of companies on eBay that sell vinyl covering for amps as well.

Oh aye, to remove purple, think paint stripper. How much is that thing selling for now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    The best speaker depends on the sound you want I guess. The speakers that you have in both cabs you use are Celestion G12T-75's. Use that as a reference point for your sound. Celestion also have clips on their website of the kind sounds their speakers cab achieve. Other speaker companies to look into are Eminence and JBL. I'm sure there's more. Remember to make sure that you get one with an ohm rating suitable for both amps (8 shoud probably be fine).

Watford Valves sometimes have good deals on speakers (www.watfordvalves.com), that's where I got my four Celestion Vintage 30's. You can pick up good quality inputs, cable and handles from eBay for pennies.

Make sure you use good thick strong wood. I'm sure nailing it together would be ok... but making wood joints would probably make it sound a whole lot better.

There's plenty of companies on eBay that sell vinyl covering for amps as well.

Oh aye, to remove purple, think paint stripper. How much is that thing selling for now?
    Cheers for that, yeah found a couple of 8ohm ones that should do the trick as both ampheads have 8ohm impedance. The G12T-75 is sold out on that page so leaning towards the G12K-100 as it's more powerful as well (im just hoping that it will fit into the cabinet i've got lol).

May open up the back of my 2x12 later on to see what other parts i'll need but just now im assuming that i just need an input socket with the relevant wires to the speaker?

Oh and im not selling the cab at the moment, depending on how this turns out I may try to sell it later.

moncur a G12T75 sounds crap imo for rock stuff yeah it might be good but acoustic stuff not really i would go for a lower frequency speaker if you are going to do acoustic stuff and the G1275t ain't' warm enough. I would actually put a bass guitar speaker in for acoustic and imo bass guitar speakers sound better for electric guitar they handle the lows better. I would use mdf for an acoustic cabinet 12mm thick but remember to allow room for the speaker and air flow

I suggest a G12T75 as a reference point anyhow. I am also not so keen on them. They lack definition if you ask me. They seem to have a huge gap in the mid range field. However, they supposedly sound good when mixed in a 4x12 with Vintage 30's(which are awesome for heavy rock music). Check out the sample on the internet though. Power isn't everything. Greenbacks are great speakers... however, opinions on good tone are radically different.

greenbacks hmmm not really suitable you would be more apt to blow em G12T75s yes they have a very boosted midrange i don't think the new G12T75s are that good the older 1s are better. but for an acoustic cab you may want a tweeter/horn for the tops. i played a superbass and played guitar throught it with a g1275 loaded cab and it sounded like crap it didn't have the oomph and when i played through my 2x12 loaded with celestion powercells same power rating as the whole 4x12 and my 2x12 was better to my ears. I would say get a powercell but celestion don''t make em anymore

I wasn't suggesting that he get a Greenback, lol. Just that they are good speakers and that tonal preference is subjective.

I'd be more inclined to say that the G12T75's are actually LACKING in mid range, especially when compared with a Vintage 30.

man this is all getting a bit too technical for me lol.

Bear in mind folks that it is a VERY small cab. And once a 1x12 is in then I cant fit anymore tweeters horns etc into it.

Now.... has anyone got a 12" speaker i could borrow for the day? Doesnt matter if it doesnt work. All i'd like it for is to check that it wil fit (my cab measures 12x12" EXACTLY so not much room to play with lol)

Getting the thing in might be a pain. Is it completely open backed? 12" speakers are pretty big from front to back.

moncur different 12" speakers have different mounting i e holes can be made different so really you need to use the speaker you are going to be putting in. my 2x12 had celestion G12ms in it and i wanted to put my powercells in the same cab but i couldnt' because the mounting was different so i ended up replacing the speaker board. just goes to show ya you think speakers are all the same when they ain't. Vintage 30's are not a bad speaker supposedly a more powerful version of the greenback but still not my cup of tea each to their own i suppose. moncur you got any pics of this cab yet

It is completely open backed. Im going to have to make a new speaker board anyway aswell. Dont have any pics of it at the mo as im on my works pc. Would vintage 30s be safe to use with 150w amplifiers?

Vintage 30's are 70 or 75 watt speakers. Get a 100 watt speaker

vintage 30's are 60 watt speakers, moncur if you are using a 150 watt amp i would put in a 200 watt speaker for safety reasons as amps always put out more power than what they say well that is what i have always found i hope your cabinet sounds good as it appears you have done it a bit slapdash. when i was designing my 4x12 which i still ain't finished lol i designed it around the speakers i was going to be using and based roughly on marshall specs but i had to take into conscideration 2 the fact i am a bass player so i had to alter my design to make way for that but the design has turned out well i only need to fix the speaker boards and cover the cab now and i'm sorted.

Yeah im thinkin the small cab just aint gonna be big enough lol. I havent gone and bought any parts so far thankfully so im gonna have a wee think about what speaker to get then see what I can do around that. the cab isnt being made to replace my bigger cabs. I'd just find it good for ma wee pub gigs and jamming in ma room or at band practice so although ma amps are 150w I wont be going anywhere near that sort of volume.

well pm me and i can help you design a cab, those amps would be 150 watts clean that is before you get to distortion which all us guitar players love. and with a more powerful speaker your sound remains crisp and tight well you know yourself with pa. i don't think an open back design will be that effective imo it may sound to flubby for acoustic but yet again i can be proved wrong. It's hard to beleive there is a science to this lmao

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

there's nothing to stop one putting in a 10" high powered driver........

very true a 10 would be nice

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by theweemidget View Post
    very true a 10 would be nice
    indeed having trawled through quite a number of drivers, celestion, eminence, jensen, JBL, Peavey, Electrovoice etc etc I have to say that EV is my favourite driver tone wise. I have a reconditioned EV 12 in my Musicman combo & it's clean most of the way up the volume

I'm a fan of 10s on guitar because of the tighter sound without so much bottom, I have a boss EQ which does a great job of removing 100 & 250 Hz on my musicman

hey H+H speakers are SURPRISINGLY nice.......................

yip a 10 would def fit my cab.

Anyone know where to get a 10" high powered speaker?

h/h drivers are very nice why do you think laney bought em out hehe. i agree ev''s are nice. H/H are still in business and are owned by maj electronics well laney bought the speakers but maj do their own stuff.

for speakers where to start

www.appianacoustics.co,uk
    www.majelectronic.co.uk
    www.wembleyloudspeaker.com

wembley loudspeaker knows his stuff he rebuilds speakers

chobbers i prefer 12s to 10's imo cause i have always had 12s but it depends on the amp musicman amps are very clean and fenderesque

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast