Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Variant

Default Variant

Looks like the Indian variant of Covid has been eradicated from Scotland.

We just need to keep an eye on the April 02 variant though, then we should be okay.

At least it will not be the April First variant.

Indian Variant = April 02 Variant.

Maybe they should stick to official terms - B.1.617

Of course with probably thousands of variants already around the planet does anyone really care what they are called

Does anyone now recall the British Disease - In the 1970s, the British disease was defined narrowly in terms of strike proneness and as a more general malaise, the symptoms of which were strong unions, restrictive practices, low productivity, and poor relative economic performance.
    Why put the blame on months. Did we try to rename it?

A sheer masterstroke, it is becoming clear to me now !

Macron and Merkel are going to ban British tourists due to the Indian variant. Solution = call the variant April 02 in Scotland and outfox our EU chums, brilliant.

Who said it was named after a month ? I think it is now discrimination against all those named April.

Not sure where the British disease comes in to it but yes I do remember it very well. A result of a combination of trade unions and management not being able to negotiate rationally and come to a sensible and mutually beneficial agreement. This started in the 1970's and was completed in the 80's when jobs were then exported to other parts of the world - problem solved in the short term.

Covid-19 variants to be given Greek alphabet names to avoid stigma

World Health Organisation unveils new names for variants of concern to replace ones linked to where they were discovered.

Coronavirus variants are to be named after letters of the Greek alphabet instead of their place of first discovery, the World Health Organization has announced, in a move to avoid stigma.
    The WHO has named four variants of concern, known to the public as the UK/Kent (B.1.1.7), South Africa (B.1.351), Brazil (P.1) and India (B.1.617.2) variants. They will now be given the letters Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta respectively, to reflect their order of detection, with any new variants following the pattern down the Greek alphabet.

Full story from the Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...o-avoid-stigma.

Let me know when you spot the Groatie variant.

Yes heard about the new naming system.

Unfortunately WHO in my opinion has little credibility left.

It was partly their lack of action that helped the pandemic spread so fast and easily.

I wonder how much they get paid to take 18 months to come up with an international identification system for Covid but I suppose they have finally come up with something..... at last.