Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Spinnin' - 2

SSI Guest

I was at Radiohead live in Edinburgh on Wednesday

An incredible experience

Selby, in the hills east of Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict
    @Peter - good title for an album! Do you think he's been reading my sig block??
    Could be MadPict, could be.
    Peter F.

Melbourne, Australia

My fondness for the Dave matthews Band is well known here but I caught the Dave Matthews Cover Band the other day - an excellent set it was too. Shame I'll not get to see the real deal this time round.

Latest spinners - Life House "Stanley Climbfall" and believe it or not Lisa Marie Presley! (OK, not mine but friend is playing it quite a bit!!)

MadPict

Nat Guest

I walked past a friends door in college this morning and she was playing Ronan. It immediately reminded me of home, when I used to work at Houston's in Wick. That used to always be playing at that place. Take a walk by and tell me whether they still do. Brings back good memories, and it's an excellent CD. Makes me a bit home-sick though. Heal Me, Only For You and When the World Was Mine are my favourites.

Steely Dan - "Everything Must Go" - a return to the finger popping foot tapping days of the past. Some good songs, some may take a play or two to grow, but a more listenable album at first spin than "Two Against Nature"

Also on the Picts Player is Evanescence - "Fallen" - well Mrs Picts really but some good grungy angsty songs with the odd ballad thrown in!!

MadPict

Default What are you spinnin' - 2

Coincidentally, MadPict, I have Steely Dan's "Gaucho" here with me. Others on the my desk to listen to over the next day or two are:

"Pulp Surfin' " - Various Artisis (a comp. of 60s and 70s surf music)
    "Leap of Faith" - Tiffany Eckhardt
    "Daybreaker" - Beth Orton
    "Love Deluxe" - Sade
    "Hymns to the Silence" - Van Morrison
    "Brainwashed" - George Harrison
    Peter F.

Melbourne, Australia

Been listening to the latest Radiohead - first thing I've had of theirs (Fathers Day present). Not bad.

System of a Down - Toxicity - strange Lebanese-American left-wing hard rock. Love it.

Joni Mitchell - Turbulent Indigo. That woman is a goddess.

There should be a law against anything or anyone being as bland as John Mayer.

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims

Joni Mitchell - Turbulent Indigo. That woman is a goddess.
    Have to agree, George. Such a prolific song writer for so menay years and a voice that could sing anything. I particularly like her "Taming the Tiger" and "Night Ride Home" albums. Not to mention "Blue", "Hits", Misses", "Both Sides Now", "Shadows and Light", "Wild Things Run Fast"......
    Peter F.

Melbourne, Australia

Just thought i'd do my bit by keeping this on the front page. I quite often listen to my Best of the 70's cd's. Glam rock was excellent. No other music era like it, and there never will be. My fave' group of the 70's was The Sweet. Absolutely brill. At least all the glam rock bands were are as good as each other and the top 40 was as competetive as it has ever been. Unlike today where a so called band has to only sell about 10 records to get to number one.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

At the moment i"m spinning

Flock of Seagulls-I Ran

The Eagles-Witchy Woman

Madonna-Dress You Up

Lighthouse Family-Lifted

The Guess Who-American Woman

Cathy Connor-Lets Pretend
    Coxy

Four new shiny discs a spinnin' on me deck -
    Foo Fighters - One By One
    Kings Of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood
    Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
    Miles Davis - Panthalassa (the music of miles davis 1969-1974)

Kings Of Leon is "The best debut album of the last 10 years" - NME 9/10 . I caught them on Jools Holland a few weeks back, and thought they were rather good.
    (Sadly their album features Copyright Control so will not play on most PC's or Macs - you can play it on your PC, using the provided software player on the CD, but it is at such a degraded sound quality its not worth it. But with a little help from some Post It notes, Sellotape and a craft knife I have circumvented the security measures. Thanks 3M)

The Miles Davis was recommended to me and I must admit to being pleasantly surprised - very listenable albums and not what I thought.

I was spinning some golden oldies :

Osbert - Shoot The Swifts
    Chic - Le Freak
    Chakka Khan - Shake My Duff
    The Barbecue's - Burn My BuffBurgers
    ZZ Top - She's Got Legs
    Boney M - Rasputin

I feel the eighties had some of the best music out. Does anyone agree.

Today me and my 6 year old son were spinnin'

Eddie Rabbitt, Running with the wind.

Steve Earl, Hillbilly highway.

My son's two favourite songs.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Default What are you spinnin'?

Greetings all!

Has anyone heard Neil Young's new CD, "Greendale", yet? I caught one track on the radio on Saturday. It sounded pretty good and I was just interested in what the rest of the disc was like. Maybe I should just go and buy it. But, if anyone's heard the whole thing (at this early stage), what did you think?
    Peter F.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Re: Spinnin #2

"Music soothes the savage beast"

Start your day off right with certain songs/melodies, and you will find yourself in a better frame of mind...

I'm into Dire Straights (all their old stuff), Walk of Life, Brother in Arms etc etc.

Enya, when I'm chillin out or driving round the Highlands and still enjoying some of the counties fabulous views.

The Corrs, for sentimental reasons, especially, "What can I do to make you to make you love me", a sentimental Sad old manny as I am

The 1812 overture for when I do the ironing, but it must be with real cannons...

Isio Tomita (!) "snowflakes are dancing" by De bussey done on moog synthesisers (circa 1975).

Pink Floyd's The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon , MAGIC STUFF

Chris de Burgh, especially Lady in red, always pulls at the old heart strings.

Holst's The Planets, very thought provoking especially in 2001 Space Odessy.

Lighthouse Family, Whatever gets you through the day .

Ciao,

Dave the Rave

Default Re: Spinnin #2

Quote Originally Posted by dpw39
    "Music soothes the savage beast"

Enya, when I'm chillin out or driving round the Highlands and still enjoying some of the counties fabulous views.

The 1812 overture for when I do the ironing, but it must be with real cannons...

I reckon Enya would sound good while cruisin' 'round the Highlands and, I have a couple of ironing songs, also. They are "Dream Gerard" by Traffic from their album "When The Eagle Flies" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" from Pink Floyd's "The Delicate Sound Of Thunder". As with the 1812 Overture, they need to be played LOUD. Seems to lessen the pain of doing the ironing...
    Peter F.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Putting the "SPIN" into ironing

I said I was a sad old manny , I find ironing very therapeutic , and the 1812 and even Elgar’s March (!) epitomises that “Ooomph” / “whatever it is ” that prompts nostalgia and pride when one hears a certain piece of music, hence the initial quote “ music soothes the savage beast” .

Shine on you crazy diamond, definitely one of the clasics, takes me back to my Santana days, Jimmy Hendrix , way to go Dude .

Ciao,

Dave the Rave

Mr Sensitive Guest

Hey Dudes, what IS this? Teanabowla mannies trade Music to iron to? Surely ironing's still ladies' work in REAL toons lek Wick. Innit? Lek?

PLEASE tell me it is. PLEASE!

hrm, i'm currently listening to

Norma Jean (metal core band)
    Converge (metal core band)
    Boy Sets Fire (Post Hardcore band)
    Funeral For A Friend (Post Hardcore mixed with Metal)
    Goldfinger (Ska Pop Punk)
    Thrice (rock/metal band)
    The Movielife (Punk band)

and many more

Mr Sensitive Guest

Hmm, s'pose I should say what I'm spinnin' before I get vilified for stirring up old done & dusted intertown rivalries.

Clapton "Time Pieces". Very much a seventies "Best of" collection. You know "Layla", "Wonderful Tonight", and all that stuff. Not ground breaking listening wise, but great classics nonetheless.

Beatles "Beatles 1" (an album of number ones). A sixties "Best of" this time, but it doesn't have "Strawberry Fields". How can they do that? Lennon must be turning in his grave.

The Corrs "Greatest Hits". Nice but they all sound the same after a few tracks. Sorry, Dave the Ironer.

Heard Coldplay for the first time in donkeys when I was having coffee in a shopping mall this morning. Will dig out the album later, forget what it's called.

Heard something on the radio this morning about the World Air Guitar Championships. Seems it's on in Finland right now. Can you imagine? Have you domestics tried air ironing? Can you no' just imagine Aerosmith:

Backstage we're havin' the time
    of our life until somebody say
    Forgive me if I seem out of line
    Then she whipped out her iron and tried to iron me away!

That, that dude irons like a lady

Oo, what a funky lady
    Oo, she like it, like it, like it, like that.
    Oo he was a lady!

Maybe Thurso could hold the inaugural Air Ironing Championships next year? Heblix, are ye still there mate?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast