Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Spinnin' - 2

Anonymous Guest

Today I've been listening to "The Best Of Gerry Rafferty" and "Texas -- The Greatest Hits". (Thanks for mentioning Gerry in your posting above, Prince Charming -- I hadn't played that CD in ages!)

In my opinion, Mr Rafferty and the band Texas are among some of Scotland's most talented pop musicians.

Anonymous Guest

Today, I've been giving spin to THE LOOK OF LOVE by jazz singer/pianist DIANA KRALL. This is a sensual collection of ballads and bossa novas, and it's so relaxing to listen to! The whole tone of the album is smooth and slinky, as Diana sings 20th century standards in her smoky, sultry voice. The London Symphony Orchestra adds lushness to the instrumentals of Diana and her quartet, and I highly recommend this album to those who love jazz and sensual, romantic music.

Anonymous Guest

My latest buy is John Mayer's "Room For Squares". I like his nice, soft voice, and first noticed him last year, when I saw his music video "Your Body Is A Wonderland", on MTV. I really like that song, which is on this album. I was delighted to find that most of the other songs on the album are just as good, if not better. I also like John's guitar playing, and the lyrics of these upbeat, light pop songs. Some people have compared this 25 year old's voice to that of Dave Matthews, and I guess there is some similarity there. But I would not call John a "copycat" performer -- he's definitely a talent in his own right!

Funnily enough a friend has been raving about John Mayer lately - I visit her next month so I'll find out I suppose!

I heard a track last week on the Bob Harris show by a band called Yat Kha - very unusual "world music" I suppose it would be classed as. Hopefully find out a bit more about their latest album before I buy it!
    http://www.yat-kha.com/

Anonymous Guest

MadPict, let me know what you think, after you've heard John Mayer. With you being a Dave Matthews fan, I'm curious to know if you detect a similarity between their voices. I was also impressed with John's live performance on a TV programme, and part of a concert of his that was shown on MTV.

Anonymous Guest

Right now I'm listening to "GOTTA GET THRU THIS" by DANIEL BEDINGFIELD. The track that really enticed me to buy this album is "If You're Not The One", which is such a dreamy, romantic ballad! There are another couple of nice ballads on there too, but most of the twelve tracks are uptempo dance numbers. Daniel seems equally at home singing both the fast and slow songs. I'm enjoying this 2002 album immensely, and look forward to hearing more from this talented young artist!

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Opal
    My latest buy is John Mayer's "Room For Squares". I like his nice, soft voice, and first noticed him last year, when I saw his music video "Your Body Is A Wonderland", on MTV. I really like that song, which is on this album. I was delighted to find that most of the other songs on the album are just as good, if not better. I also like John's guitar playing, and the lyrics of these upbeat, light pop songs. Some people have compared this 25 year old's voice to that of Dave Matthews, and I guess there is some similarity there. But I would not call John a "copycat" performer -- he's definitely a talent in his own right!
    Now I'm listening to John's earlier album, "Inside Wants Out", which was his independent release in 1999. Four of the eight songs are also on "Room For Squares", which has thirteen tracks, and was released in 2001. The earlier recordings are still worth listening to, as they sound rather like an "unplugged" version of those on the newer album. "Inside Wants Out" also has four other noteworthy songs, all testimony to John's charismatic voice and guitar skills. I'm hooked on him already!

Anonymous Guest

I have recently discovered just how cool COLDPLAY are, and I'm playing their CD "A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD". They deservedly won a Grammy for this, as "Best Alternative Music Album", at the 45th Grammy Awards Ceremony, in February.

At times they remind me somewhat of Pink Floyd, especially with the opening song, "Politik", and the title track. I love all eleven songs, but some of my other fave's are "In My Place", "Clocks", "Green Eyes" and "A Whisper". The whole album is very addictive, in fact!

I bought the best of Neil Diamond this week

So yesterday i did my housework singing along to cracklin rosie, song sung blue, america, beautiful noise, forever in blue jeans and many more.

This is the music of my childhood because my mum and dad were...still are ....huge Neil Diamond fans so this music permeates most of my memories of home - happy memories for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa
    I have recently discovered just how cool COLDPLAY are, and I'm playing their CD "A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD". They deservedly won a Grammy for this, as "Best Alternative Music Album", at the 45th Grammy Awards Ceremony, in February.

At times they remind me somewhat of Pink Floyd, especially with the opening track, "Politik". I love all eleven songs, but some of my other fave's are "In My Place", "Clocks", "Green Eyes" and "A Whisper". The whole album is very addictive, in fact!
    "Rush of blood" was a big disappointment IMHO - "Parachutes" was an excellent debut and a hard album to follow. "Rush..." just drones on and on and on and on and on..... with the exception of one or two tracks which lift the drone slightly.

Anonymous Guest

Gosh, I must admit I'm surprised by your opinion of "A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD", MadPict! I find several of the songs really catchy, although I admit it took a few listens for some of the others to "grow" on me. But I really do enjoy the whole album!

I haven't heard "PARACHUTES", but will listen to music clips to see what I think of that. I have found that Best Buy tends to have clips from all tracks on an album, whereas Amazon only has a few. Here is the URL -- http://www.bestbuy.com

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by squidge
    I bought the best of Neil Diamond this week

So yesterday i did my housework singing along to cracklin rosie, song sung blue, america, beautiful noise, forever in blue jeans and many more.

This is the music of my childhood because my mum and dad were...still are ....huge Neil Diamond fans so this music permeates most of my memories of home - happy memories for sure
    That's probably the album I have as well, Squidge! "Neil Diamond - The Greatest Hits 1966 - 1992". It's a terrific two disc set! I also have "Hot August Night", another double CD, which I had on cassette way back in the early 70s, when it was first released. It's one of my favourite concert performances -- "Live from the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles". That album really got me hooked on Neil Diamond at the time -- I just loved his rich sounding voice, and wish there had been a video made of that particular concert.

Anonymous Guest

Currently, I'm spinning SLICKER THAN YOUR AVERAGE by CRAIG DAVID, which is his second album. It's somewhat different from his brilliant debut album BORN TO DO IT, but it's still very enjoyable. His first album had more romantic themed songs in it, but this is definitely worth buying if you like Craig David, as I do! The songs are very catchy, and make ya wanna get up and dance!

My favourite song is RISE & FALL, featuring STING. It's a superb blend of their two voices together, and it works very well.

Other fave's are FAST CARS, HIDDEN AGENDA, HANDS UP IN THE AIR, SPANISH, WHAT'S CHANGED and WORLD FILLED WITH LOVE.

Woohoo! My first post even though I've been checking out this site for years.

Getting ready for a trip to Thailand tomorrow and I've got got Queen playing full blast..Haven't got the neighbours at the door yet :-) Somebody to Love is a masterpiece!

Kop.

Anonymous Guest

Yes, it certainly is, Kopernicus!

Cinders and I are great fans of Queen, and bought "The Platinum Collection" a few months ago. It's a three CD set comprising of Queen's Greatest Hits, volumes I, II and III. Absolutely brilliant!

Anonymous Guest

My latest spinee is "Come Away With Me " by Nora Jones. It's such a soothing, relaxing album, and Nora has such a pleasant soft voice!

Anonymous Guest

It took a while for DAVID GRAY to "grow" on me, but now I finally see the light with his latest album, "A NEW DAY AT MIDNIGHT". I succumed and bought it last week, after listening to all the tracks in the music shop. All of these songs are catchy, and the opener, "Dead In The Water" hooks you right in!

Music clips from every song can be heard on :

http://www.bestbuy.com

I can also see why people have compared Welsh singer/song writer David to Bob Dylan and Van Morrison. He has definitely been influenced by them, yet he still has a style of his own.

moonlightshadow Guest

Right now I am listening to a band called the Hamsters, they are brill, I have also been listening to
    Satus Quo- Heavy Traffic,
    Gary Moore-Out in The Fields
    Geordie Jack-Scotch on the Rocks
    and last but by no means least
    Steve Earle-Coperhead Road

Check out the hamsters web site and listen to some of their music by going to their album page and there are some tracks you can listen to.

http://www.thehamsters.co.uk

All the best
    Linda

Selby, in the hills east of Melbourne, Australia

Default What are you spinnin' - 2

Greetings all, from "the land of Oz".

Latest acquisition is "Beneath This Gruff Exterior" by John Hiatt and The Goners. A bit "rockier" than his recent releases, but never-the-less, a good album. Hiatt has to be one of the most under-rated musician around. He is a prolific song writer and has been churning out records/CDs since the 70s. You'd probably be familiar with his work as his songs are recorded/released by many contemporary artists. If you haven't had the pleasure, have a listen to some of his stuff, particularly, "The Tiki Bar Is Open", "Stolen Moments" (my favourite) and for something of his which is a little different, "Crossing Muddy Waters".

Bye for now.
    Peter F.

Melbourne, Australia

@Peter - good title for an album! Do you think he's been reading my sig block??

Latest listening for me is Audioslave - 3 of the 4 band members were in Rage Against The Machine, so not for the faint hearted!!

If you're wondering about the lateness of the hour, it's cos I'm in Florida!!!!!

MadPict

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast