Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Spinnin' - 2

That's it! Temptation is just too strong!!!

I'm gonna post the lyrics to my fave song on "Silly Songs With Larry"... It's called "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" - too funny... they've all got American accents - and considering they're all vegetables, they're too cute!

Narrator: "Joining Larry are Pa Grape and Mr. Lunt, who together make up
    the infamous gang of scalliwags, the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything!"
    Larry, Pa, Mr. Lunt: "We are the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything! We just
    stay home and lie around. And if you ask us to do anything, we'll just
    tell you ..."
    Larry: "We don't do anything!"
    Pa: "Well, I've never been Greenland and I've never been to Denver, and
    I've never buried treasure in St. Louis or St. Paul, and I've never been
    to Moscow and I've never been to Tampa, and I've never been to Boston in
    the fall."
    All: "'Cuz we're the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything! We just stay home
    and lie around. And if you ask us to do anything, we'll just tell you
    .."
    Mr. Lunt: "We don't do anything. And I never hoist the mainstay and I
    never swab the poop deck, and I never veer to starboard 'cuz I never
    sail at all, and I've never walked the gang plank and I've never owned a
    parrot, and I've never been to Boston in the fall."
    All: "'Cuz we're the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything! We just stay at home
    and lie around. And if you ask us to do anything, we'll just tell you
    .. We don't do anything!"
    Larry: "Well, I've never plucked a rooster and I'm not too good at
    ping-pong, and I've never thrown my mashed potatoes up against the wall,
    and I've never kissed a chipmunk and I've never gotten head lice, and
    I've never been to Boston in the fall!"
    Pa: "Huh? What are you talking about? What's a rooster and mashed
    potatoes have to do with being a pirate??"
    Mr. Lunt: "Hey, that's right! We're supposed to sing about pirate-y
    things!"
    Larry: "Oh ..."
    Pa: "And who ever kissed a chipmunk? That's just nonsense! Why even
    bring it up? Am I right? What do you think?"
    Mr. Lunt: "I think you look like Cap'n Crunch!"
    Pa: "Huh? No I don't!"
    Mr. Lunt: "Do too."
    Pa: "Do not!"
    Mr. Lunt: "You're making me hungry."
    Pa: "That's it, you're walkin' the plank!"
    Mr. Lunt: "Says who?"
    Pa: "Says the captain, that's who!"
    Mr. Lunt: "Oh, yeah? Aye aye, Cap'n Crunch!"
    Larry: "And I've never licked a spark plug and I've never sniffed a
    stink bug, and I've never painted daisies on a big red rubber ball, and
    I've never bathed in yogurt and I don't look good in leggings ..."
    Pa: "You just don't get it!"
    All: "And we've never been to Boston in the fall!"

By the way... Mr. Lunt has a Mexican accent, and Pa is a grape from New York! Hehe! Then they go on to argue about what's on the TV... hehe - I think it's cute! I honestly don't blame my little sister of wanting this CD... but it's too addictive (not to mention silly)!
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

©Amethyst,

You almost tempted me to put my Tellytubbies CD on - almost but not quite!!

But I will go with Creed and "Weathered"

MadPict

I heard Santana's Black Magic Woman on the radio
    ..... I sang it all day long and then it followed me into my dreams....man alive what a fantaaaaastic song!

Thankfully there's one CD i am pleased to say I DON'T own, MadPict!!!

"You Look Like Cap'n Crunch!"

My latest 'Spinnee' is "in absentia" by Porcupine Tree. Prog Rock lives!!!!
    An excellent album - I'd never heard of them until a couple of weeks ago but the keyboard player is Richard Barbieri, previously in 'Japan'.
    If you like your music a bit grand then give this a spin.....

MadPict

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lady K
    And for all you opera buffs who missed my URL for Mario Frangoulis, on the original WAYS thread, here it is again!

http://www.mariofrangoulis.com/splash-f.html

There are some music clips from his "Sometimes I Dream" album on there. I'm definitely going to buy that CD, as soon as I can get my hands on it! I liked what I heard, and especially love his "Nights in White Satin/Notte Di Luce" sung in Italian! Sent shivers down my spine!
    Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues sings the last verse in English. Thanks for telling me about this version of the song, Loafer! For those of you who are fans of Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban, you will really appreciate the amazing voice of Greek tenor Mario Frangoulis!
    I'm happy to say I was able to get my hot little hands on Mario Frangoulis last week! ( His CD, that is! )

I also bought Andrea Bocelli's "Sentimento" album, which is brilliant too! Thanks for recommending it, Loafer! I love all of the songs, and the accompaniments by violinist Lorin Maazel are superb. As Mr Maazel himself points out, the sound of his Stradivarius is quite sensuous and seductive, at times! The whole album is very romantic, and some of the songs are well known numbers I was familiar with.

As for the "Sometimes I Dream" album by Greek tenor Mario Frangoulis, it is absolutely wonderful, and I think I like his voice even more than Andrea Bocelli's, and Josh Groban's! Mario's voice seems the most expressive and versatile of all. He sings softly and tenderly at times, and passionately and powerfully at others. Tall, dark and good looking, I found him rather charismatic in the music video on his enhanced CD. That video can be viewed by clicking on the URL above, quoted from my earlier posting. He is singing "Vincero, Perdero" at an outdoor theatre in Greece, and this is the first song on the CD. My next goal is to purchase the DVD, which covers the concert in it's entirety!

Was havin' an ould rocker's day today... kinda like yesterday, and the day before, and the day before.

Phil Collins, ELO, Pink Floyd yada yada
    Y'know... I think my music picker stopped about 1980. I just don't buy much if it's after that. P'raps that's when music stopped, and rap started.

Ooooh, was that not a PC comment?

Hey Mr M, that sounds kinda like my typical day too. I went through a period a few weeks ago when I played nothing but Pink Floyd and Led Zep. Before that it was the Stones and Jethro Tull.

But today is a little more high fallutin'. Right now I am listening to Tosca with Maria Callas in the title role. I'm not too fond of most romantic music, but give me an Italian aria and I'm anyone's. Callas' "Vissi d'arte" is truly amazing. It's playing right now and I'm floatin' across the room. Mmmmmmm..........

Well, as we seem to be reliving our hazy crazy days, Peter Gabriel has at long last been added to my CD collection. I was browsing the £5 specials in FOPP today and there were Peter Gabriel 1,2,3,4,So,Us all for a fiver each!!

For years now I have resisted buying these on CD to replace my cassette versions, feeling that £15.99 a bit high a price to pay for these classics. They never seem to be discounted at any record shop I looked, so in the end I gave up looking.

But today I scooped up 1-4 on CD, forgetting I also had "So" on cassette, so a return trip will be in order to finish the 'set'!!!

FOPP Records really does do some excellent deals. I mean £5 for a CD, probably the true value of them, not the hyper inflated ripoff that we are paying.

MadPict

Anonymous Guest

Whilst in England last month, I bought a CD at ASDA on special offer for 4.97 pounds, normally retailing at 11.99 pounds. It's Lulu's "Together" album, released last year. It consists of 14 tracks of her duetting with other well known artists, some older than her, some a lot younger. I admit that I bought it mainly for her duet with Ronan Keating, "We've Got Tonight", which I think is lovely. I always did like that song, which Kenny Rogers sang with Dolly Parton, then later with Sheena Easton. But the whole album is great -- the more I listen to it, the more I like it!

My other favourite tracks on the album are:

SAIL ON SAILOR with STING. Originally sung by the Beach Boys.

BACK AT ONE with WESTLIFE. Originally sung by Brian McKnight.

NOW THAT THE MAGIC HAS GONE with JOE COCKER. I like this even more than Joe's original solo version!

WITH YOU I'M BORN AGAIN with MARTI PELLOW, formerly of Wet, Wet, Wet. This song was a hit for Billy Preston and Syreeta in 1980, and it always did send shivers down my spine. Lulu and Marti do equal, if not more justice to this beautiful song. Marti Pellow is one of my favourite male singers, and it's wonderful to hear these two Scots duetting together. Lulu's voice is really at it's best here!

Also, her duet with opera singer RUSSELL WATSON is really starting to grow on me! At first it seemed strange hearing Lulu singing "The Prayer", after being more familiar with Celine Dion's version with Andrea Bocelli, then Charlotte Church's with Josh Groban. But Lulu has proved she can sing in opera style quite admirably, with this song. Well done, Lulu!

"Everyday" by Cinematic Orchestra.

Trip-Hop/Electronica/Dance/Jazz

Grrrrrroovy..................

MadPict

Right now (and for the last 48 hours almost non-stop) Greatest Hits by Sandy Denny, from the 20th Century Masters series. Just fabulous. When she quit the band Fotheringay, they advertised for a replacement with "the voice of an angel". That pretty much sums her up, though she was also a suberb songwriter.

Anonymous Guest

Well, I've been giving Lionel Richie a few spins, over the past couple of days!
    I've been a long time fan of Lionel's -- I just love his smoochie ballads, and his upbeat numbers that make ya want to get up and dance!

My most recent acquisition is "Lionel Richie - The Definitive Collection", just released last month. I bought the limited edition, which includes a free bonus disc. All five tracks on that are great, and includes the extremely romantic hit "Oh No", sung with the Commodores, and his version of "Lady", which he wrote, and was a number one hit for Kenny Rogers. That's also a favourite of mine -- it's such a beautiful song! Another with the Commodores is "Brick House", a terrific pure funk number, reminiscent of the Average White Band and Cameo.

As for the main disc, that contains 18 previously released songs, plus two new ones, including a duet with Enrique Iglesias. Even if you already have Lionels' "Back to Front" album, his 1992 collection of greatest hits, it's still worth buying this newly released "Definitive Collection". Among the 18 hits, there are 6 big hits which are not included on "Back to Front".

I've also been listening to Lionel's "Renaissance" album, which was released in 2000. This 12 track CD is a good mix of ballads and upbeat numbers, and proves that Lionel's talents are just as good, if not better, than before! All the tracks are absolutely wonderful, and of note are "Angel", and the Latin influenced "Cinderella" and "Dance The Night Away".

My latest find is Amor - the album "Amor" and "Even After That" are probably the finest example of UK blues I've heard for a while. Reminiscent of Stevie Ray Vaughan and BB King, this is rock blended with blues, some funk mixed in for good measure and some slick guitar work to top it off.
    Jon Amor used to play with Hoax, a top blues band which I never heard, but this is making up for my ignorance!
    If you like your blues with a bit of an edge then give this a listen.

www.amor.uk.com has samples you can listen to.

MadPict

Anonymous Guest

Wow!!! I've just listened to all those music samples, MadPict, and that band is AWESOME!

They remind me of Cream, as well as Stevie Ray Vaughan. This is definitely my kinda music, and it won't be long before I purchase at least one of Amor's albums! Thanks so much for letting us know about them, MadPict !

It is rather good - I found myself dusting off my air guitar last night!!!

MadPict

Anonymous Guest

Then when you played your air guitar, MadPict, I trust you weren't doing it windmill style. Am I right?

Anonymous Guest

I am now a fan of the phenomenal Russell Watson, after hearing his first two albums, "The Voice" and "Encore". His magnificent tenor voice is along the lines of Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras, yet his pop voice is entirely different, along the lines of 80s love balladeer Richard Marx, perhaps. I had first heard Russell's opera voice about a year ago, and was impressed. Then later on, I heard some of his pop songs on the radio, and thought he sounded terrific, not realising I was listening to the same guy!

Russell is 29, and from Salford, Manchester. He started off as a factory worker by day, singing in clubs by night. Originally, he sang in the pop vein only, then a club owner asked him to sing "Nessun Dorma", and shortly after that, his career really took off! He was signed on by the Decca record company, and released his first album, "The Voice", in September 2000. That was followed by "Encore" in October 2001, and "Reprise" in November 2002.

I have his first two albums, so far, and would probably recommend "Encore" the most, because about half of the 16 tracks are opera arias, and the other half wonderful pop songs. With this album, you get to hear both of Russell's entirely different voices. Fans of Queen's late Freddie Mercury will be astounded by Russell's version of "Bohemian Rhapsody". I didn't think anyone could rival Freddie, till I heard this!

Anyway, check Russell out for yourself on:

http:// www.russellwatson.com

You will find music samples from all three of his albums on there, and a music video of him singing "Is Nothing Sacred". That's another song I love to hear in Russell's pop voice!

Anonymous Guest

I was just looking at Russell's official website ( listed above) again, and realised that I had mistakenly said there are music samples from all three of his albums. It turns out that there are only samples from "The Voice" and "Reprise". There is just a track listing from "Encore", and I see that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is not included in the UK version, although it is on the US edition. However, "Bohemian Rhapsody" is on the "Reprise" album, which is a UK release.

Another beautiful song Is "Bridge Over Troubled Water", which is on both the UK and US versions of Russell's debut album, "The Voice". You would almost think you were listening to Art Garfunkel, but it's the ever versatile Mr Watson again! Also of note is "Where My Heart Will Take Me", the new theme from Startrek's Enterprise series, sung by Russell. That is included in the "Encore" album, on both sides of the Atlantic.

Anonymous Guest

Today I've been spinning two CDs by the late Eva Cassidy, who sadly died of cancer in 1996, when she was merely 33. Several albums have been released since her death, including the ones I have been listening to. Eva's voice will really touch your heart, with it's unaffected purity. Like the late Sandy Denny, who also died before her time, Eva's voice is ethereal yet soulful. She was equally at home singing traditional folk songs, 20th century standards, jazz, blues, pop, soul and Gospel.

"SONGBIRD" is Eva's highly successful 1998 release, which catapulted her to posthumous fame. It has ten tracks, and opens with Eva's hauntingly beautiful version of "Fields of Gold", by Sting. I also especially like "Songbird", which surpasses even Christine McVie's original. Then there is a lovely, soulful version of Curtis Mayfield's "People Get Ready", and finally "Over the Rainbow", perhaps Eva's best known work of all. I'm sure even Judy Garland would have been impressed with Eva's lovely rendition of this song!

"TIME AFTER TIME" is also a wonderful album, and was released in 2000. This has twelve tracks, and opens with Eva singing "Kathy's Song" by Paul Simon. I also like Eva's soulful covers of "Ain't No Sunshine" and "The Letter". Then there's the bluesy "At Last, " and a gorgeous version of Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock". Also worthy of mention is the album title track, originally sung by Cyndi Lauper.

To find out more, and hear music samples from these albums and others, click on:

http://www.evacassidy.org

I'm sure you will be touched by Eva's beautiful, angelic voice like I was, but saddened by the knowledge that she is no longer on this earth. Her voice truly was a precious gift to us all!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast