Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Spinnin' - 2

Default What Are You Spinnin' - 2

So the principle is the same as "Spinnin' - 1".

What are you listening to on your CD player, PC, Mac, MP3 player (iPod I hope) at the moment. Think that others would be able to 'get into' your music likes? Then post it here and share your music with others.

What Are You Spinnin' - 1 was a popular thread with almost 300 postings, nearly 4000 views (if my memory serves me correctly) and not one day off the front of the forum index. See if we can keep this one going for as long.

By the way, if anyone should find the original Spinnin' thread, please put it in a Jiffy Bag and send it to :- MadPict, The Broch, East Pictopia.

MadPict

Pipe band cds

Thanks for starting the ball (rocking &) rolling Paul. Do you like all pipe music or traditional pipe band stuff?
    If you like any pipes have you heard any Martyn Bennett - he is a "techno-piper" and tends to play the pipes (all types) .
    A brief idea of his music from All Music Guide
    The musical traditions of Scotland are fused with the technology and rhythms of modern dance music by multi-instrumentalist and composer Martyn Bennett. Roots World described Bennett's musical approach when they wrote, "he weaves solo instruments in-and-out of the imaginary orchestra just as a classically trained musician." While the L.A. Times reviewed Bennett's self-titled 1996 debut album as "an invigorating and captivating form of multi-culturalism," the Toronto Sun observed that "the record sports Gaelic jigs, Penjabi melodies, Scandanavian chanting, and Turkish bagpies, which are fit together with seamlessness by synthesizers and drum machines."
    I have his "Bothy Culture" album and it is quite good, but if you prefer your pipes ala "Band of the Black Watch" then it may be a step too far for you!

MadPict

traditional pipe music

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for starting this new thread, MadPict! It's a pity the original one disappeared accidentally, though!

This week, I've been listening to Van Morrison's "Moondance" album, which I bought recently. I never did have it on vinyl or cassette, when it was first released in 1971, but I do remember the songs so well! It's rather mellow, and great for late night listening!

I'm sure you would enjoy it too, Squidge, seeing as you are a fan of "Van the man"! I also like spinnin' my "Best of Van Morrison" CD, which you had recommended a few months ago. They're all great tracks, but some of my favourites are "Brown Eyed Girl", "Domino" and "Wild Night".

I love Van Morrison and i like that album too.

This morning i have been reading and listening to

Robbie Williams - Escapology
    Norah Jones - Come away with me
    Miles Davies - Kind of Blue

No work for squidge today as you can probably tell

Anonymous Guest

I like Robbie Williams too, Squidge! I don't have his latest album "Escapology", yet, but I do like the song "Feel" from it, and have enjoyed watching the music video for that track on MTV! As well as his voice, I like Robbie's cheeky sense of humour, and the naughty looks he gives!

I have three of his CDs so far.They are:

"The Ego Has Landed " - 1999

"Sing When You're Winning" - 2000

"Swing When You're Winning" - 2001

And for all you opera buffs who missed my URL for Mario Frangoulis, on the original WAYS thread, here it is again!

http://www.mariofrangoulis.com/splash-f.html

There are some music clips from his "Sometimes I Dream" album on there. I'm definitely going to buy that CD, as soon as I can get my hands on it! I liked what I heard, and especially love his "Nights in White Satin/Notte Di Luce" sung in Italian! Sent shivers down my spine!
    Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues sings the last verse in English. Thanks for telling me about this version of the song, Loafer! For those of you who are fans of Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban, you will really appreciate the amazing voice of Greek tenor Mario Frangoulis!

AC/DC - ball breaker(golden oldies)
    Avril Lavigne - Let Go(trying to get into it)
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By the way(excellent tunes)

Life On Other Planets by Supergrass!

And I'm meeting up with them on the 24th at an after gig party in Manchester! Woo!
    The connections Bueller gets you!

Anyone spot me in theJohn O Groat journal?

Nope didn't think so....

i'm listening to lots of stuff

the living end and feeder tho

Anonymous Guest

REM-Automatic for the people

REM-Out of time

2 Brilliant albums

My kids are getting a bit fed up with hearing them now tho lol

I even have them in the car, brilliant band!!

Aida (Price, Gorr, Vickers & Merrill; Solti) -- perhaps not the best Aida I have, but it's Verdi dammit.
    Missundaztood (Pink ) -- yeah, I'm much too old for that sort of stuff, but I don't care.

Aye, aye, ayeeee, the two contrasting styles complement each other well, so they do...

When I was on holiday in Florida I kept hearing 1000 Miles by Vanessa Carlton, and a catchy tune it was - I found myself humming it all times of the day. I understand she has joined forces with Counting Crows for their new single, Yellow Taxi , I think.
    Any further folks?

MadPict

spittalpunks Guest

The Real MacKenzies quality Scottish punk fae Canada

also annoying the neighbours this week has been Emperor-Promethesus:The Discipline of Fire and Demise, Jesse Malin-The Fine Art of Self Destruction, The Datsuns and Dio.

Selby, in the hills east of Melbourne, Australia

Default What are you spinnin' - 2

Once again, in no particular order of preference:

"Wrecking Ball" - Emmylou Harris
    "In Session" - Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan
    "The Teacher" - Ravi Shankar
    "Brainwashed" - George Harrison

These are the most recent acquisitions...oh and anything by Van Morrison is played regularly. Speaking of Van, I'm glad you have discovered "the Man", Lady K. And it sounds like Squidge and I have something in common. I've been a fan of Van's for more years than I care to remember. One of my goals is to get all his albums on vinyl and CD. I think I need three CDs to achieve this. He's an exceptiopnal talent.

Peter
    Melbourne, Australia.

Today I bought Kosheen - "Resist"
    Described by AMG as
    "The drum'n'bass trio tagged Kosheen molds something sophisticated and complex and their hypnotic break beats took their native U.K. by storm at the close of the '90s. Fronted by Welsh-born singer/songwriter Sian Evans and Bristol dance natives Darren Decoder and Markee Substance, Kosheen's meeting arrived in 1998. Evans was invited by Decoder and Substance to lay down some guest vocals and something clicked. A unit had been solidified and Kosheen immediately began work on their hip-hop/soul-driven sound. The debut single "Hide U" grabbed hold of the dance circuit in mid-2001, later earning Kosheen honors for Best Single at the Drum & Bass Awards in the U.K. BBC Radio 1 raved about it non-stop and trance guru John Digweed was already spinning Kosheen tracks such as "(Slip & Slide) Suicide" and "Catch" into his club sets. Already poised to take over electronica's ever-changing world, Kosheen's debut album, Resist, was issued in their native land in the fall of 2001."

A bargain at £5.00, yes a fiver, from FOPP records.

I seem to be buying more and more of this music - Röyksopp (Melody A.M), Rob Dougan (Furious Angels), Jakatta (Visions) - will I find myself holidaying in Ibiza or Aya Napa with a fist full of chemical glow sticks dancing the night away?
    I hope not, my back wouldn't last the first dance!!!!!!

MadPict

Anonymous Guest

Default Re: What are you spinnin' - 2

Quote Originally Posted by RHN12
    These are the most recent acquisitions...oh and anything by Van Morrison is played regularly. Speaking of Van, I'm glad you have discovered "the Man", Lady K. And it sounds like Squidge and I have something in common. I've been a fan of Van's for more years than I care to remember. One of my goals is to get all his albums on vinyl and CD. I think I need three CDs to achieve this. He's an exceptiopnal talent.

Peter
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yes, I always did rather like Van "The Man's" music, Peter. I guess I've just started to appreciate him even more now, though!

This past week, I've been listening to some more music on the mellow side. Firstly, my recent acquisition of the soundtrack to "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron", the animated movie. It consists of songs sung by Bryan Adams, written specially for the movie, and wonderful orchestral pieces by composer Hans Zimmer. Track 6, "Don't Let Go" is a lovely duet with Bryan Adams and fellow Canadian, Sarah McLachlan. Sarah is one of my favourite female singers, and her beautiful voice sounds quite ethereal in this song. I highly recommend this soundtrack, even if like me, you have not yet seen the movie. If you are a fan of Bryan Adams, you won't be disappointed!

This in turn inspired me to listen to my three Sarah McLachlan CDs, which I hadn't listened to for ages! I first got turned on to her music in 1997, when I bought her "Surfacing" album, released that same year. I enjoyed it so much, that I bought two of her previous albums, a short time later! These consist of her 1989 debut, "Touch", and 1993's "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy". They are all excellent, but to a first time buyer of Sarah's works, I would recommend "Surfacing". I think her music would appeal to anyone who enjoys the music of Enya, Clannad, the Corrs, and the Cranberries.

Eve M Guest

Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta get through this

Pink - Missundaztood

Avril Lavigne - Let go

Darius - Dive in

They're all really good, easy listening kinda stuff

Pink - Missundaztood
    Big Idea - Silly Songs With Larry (Go larry!!! lol)
    aaaaaaannnnnnnnndddddddd...
    Bond - Shine

Sigh - there's so much cool music out there at the moment!

Oh, and I just CAN'T forget Weathered by Creed!!!!
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast