Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Union Inn - Bay View Hotel Lybster Period 1920 - 1940

Default Union Inn - Bay View Hotel Lybster Period 1920 - 1940

I am researching my family tree and have found my grandfathers half brother James Henderson 1866 - 1935. In 1927 as a widower he married Jessie Donn in Lybster. His marriage certificate gave his occupation as Innkeeper and the address as the Union Inn Lybster. When he died in 1935 he is recorded as being the Hotel Keeper and the address the Bay View Hotel Lybster. I know from a previous post on this forum that the Union Inn and the Bay View Hotel are the same place and therefore have concluded that he must have been instrumental in the name change. His wife Jessie Donn died in 1937. Newspaper articles record the change of Licencee from James to his wife Jessie in 1935.
    I have found on line that James Henderson is buried in Latheron Old Cemetery, however the site does not include a photo of the headstone. I have a photo of James Henderson standing at the door of the Bay View Hotel with 3 others in the photos.
    My questions are,
    Is anyone researching this family?
    Is any local to Latheron Old Cemetery that would be able to photograph the stone? Does anyone have any information of stories about James Henderson and his family?
    Do any family members recognise the family and may have information and or a photograph of the family?
    Finally when James Henderson married in 1927 he was a widower, his death certificate lists his 1st Wife as Margaret Urquhart. I have been unable to find a marriage of James Henderson to Margaret Urquhart (there is on on Scotlands people in Forres but this is not him).
    Thank you for taking the time to read this - any help, or comments would be really appreciated.
    Robert

Try Facebook.

Caithness Facebookers and Caithness Family History. They have ‘oodles’ of info!
    I remember Jessie Donn......

Hi Thanks for the response. I will try Caithness Facebookers and Caithness family history as suggested. What memories do you have of Jessie?
    Robert

was it not maggie you remember horseman

Quote Originally Posted by dc1 View Post
    was it not maggie you remember horseman
    Yes, my first ‘drink’!!!
    But there was someone there called Jessie...? Who would James Henderson be? Names wring a bell.
    Of course you would know better as u lived in the Village!

David G and myself used to dig up some Tatties when we were ‘skint’, and sell them for a ‘halfie’ and a pkt o’ fags! And then off til Week!!
    Ahhhhhhh, them were the days! And u were so well behaved! S

Try here https://www.facebook.com/caithnessfamilyhistorysociety/ they can usually help you.

There used to be be photograpghs of stones in cemeteries on here but seems to have disappeared - Latheron was one definitely photograpghed but not everyone chose to have a stone marker.