Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's all going so well, isn't it?

Yes that was on the BBC news this morning.

When ‘you guys’ get your act together, The UK will be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    When ‘you guys’ get your act together, The UK will be successful.
    Are you nuts? The (Dis)UK has just cut off its nose to spite its face. Brexit is economic madness and everyone who is being honest about it knows it. This quote from the City A.M. website sums up the mess we are in:-

"Brexit will have a far greater impact on UK trade than it will on EU businesses, primarily because the UK relies more heavily on the EU for its imports and exports than vice versa.

According to a new study by the ifo Center for International Economics, the UK relied on the EU for 50 per cent of its imports last year, whereas the EU was the final destination for 47 per cent of all UK export, making it the UK’s single largest market.
    Comparatively, only 4 per cent of all of the EU’s exported goods and services ended up in the UK last year, while a mere 6 per cent of its imports came from Britain, according to the ifo findings.".

Granted but you/we cannot re-run Brexit. It is here whether we like it or not, unless an independent Scotland manages to join the EU in the future.
    However, can you please explain to me why (using your own arguments above), that economically, it makes sense for Scotland to be independent given that the vast majority of trade from Scotland is with the rest of the UK and only a small percentage goes directly to the EU or elsewhere? We are beginning to see now what Brexit means with a line between mainland UK and Northern Ireland and shortages of goods in shops due to the ridiculous checks and constraints being imposed. How then is it going to be physically on the border between an Independent Scotland and the rest of the UK if Scotland is back in the EU? I can see that it would be better if Scotland was also out of the EU after Independence as regards trading with the rest of the UK but that, so far as I know, is not what is wanted. These truly are genuine questions that many people are pondering.

So are you saying the following:-

1. The UK leaves the EU (its biggest market) but its economy will survive.
    2. Scotland leaves the UK (its biggest market) but its economy will collapse.

And where are you getting the idea that Scotland's trade with the EU is small? Here are a few of quotes from The Fraser of Allander Institute earlier this month -

"The figures confirm – once again – that nearly £1 in every £2 worth of international exports from Scotland in 2018 were destined for the EU.", and

"Eight of Scotland’s top ten international export destinations are members of the Single Market.".

"We (Scotland) export more to the EU bloc than we do to all of North America, the Middle East, Asia, Africa and Australasia combined.".

"If anything, Scotland has become more integrated with the EU in recent years: ..".

Business for Scotland also have something to say on the matter:-

"Scotland is a leading exporter - exporting over £6000 of goods per head more than the rest of the UK. One of the key benefits of Scotland's membership of the EU is ease of access to the Single Market.".

"Since the UK voted to leave the EU in 2016, Scottish exports to the EU have grown more rapidly than with any other region.".

"...
    Scotland’s export growth has been building over time with international exports growing 44% from 2007 to 2016 – the EU is an integral part of these international exports.".

Please do not fall prey to the relentless negativity of the Unionist press. They are constantly trying to paint Scotland as an economic basket case. Please, please, please do some independent research.Quite simply, Scotland's economic prosperity depends far more on our ability to trade as part of the EU bloc than it will do by us being in an increasingly isolated UK.

Last edited by Corky Smeek; 13-Feb-21 at 10:11.

Ohhhhh Corky...you and the Unionist Press.
    Everything will be ‘FINE’!

Oh Good. I'm relieved to hear it. You've made me feel so much better. I can't think what I was getting so worked up about. Excuse me a minute whilst I just go and put my lifelong beliefs on the back burner.

Phew, that was a close one. I thought we were all heading, lemming-like, off a cliff but it turns out all we have got to do is have blind faith that there will be a huge trampoline at the bottom and we will bounce back and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Ok, so you don't believe me when I go on about how much of a disaster Brexit is and is going to be.

Please listen to James O'Brien's take on how well Brexit is going.

Last edited by Corky Smeek; 13-Feb-21 at 21:14.

Well Corky......It’s getting into a much ‘bigger’ mess now.
    By the time they pay all the Lawyers over these latest ‘short comings’, there will be no money left!
    What a mess........
    It’s truly shocking!

What are you talking about? Whatever is happening inside a courtroom in Edinburgh has absolutely nothing to do with whether Scotland should be independent or not.

I really do feel you should stop relying upon the BBC World Service and the online version of the Daily Mail for information on what is happening in Scotland.

I can assure you that ‘the antics’ of Your Leaders, will not enhance your quest.
    There are serious allegations of people actually Lying, which does not bode well with supporters and voters.
    Trust me on that one. I worked as an advisor to Gov’t, and it can bring Governments down!

M
    I can assure you that ‘the antics’ of Your Leaders, will not enhance your quest.
    There are serious allegations of people actually Lying, which does not bode well with supporters and voters.
    Trust me on that one. I worked as an advisor to Gov’t, and it can bring Governments down!

What happens when you have civil servants that's allegiance is to a party that's not in government . They are happy to breach any or all rules to support their party of choice. They're are links in a chain ,that can break or be easily breached . If this happens are minsters to be held to blame and are opposition minsters right to spread rumours or give false so called evidence . When are ministers respondable for the deliberate falsification or mis-handling of paperwork by staff .

It it is widely know that Ruth Davidson , A Goldie , Mundle and the police had a meeting that was about A Salmond and how to bring down the SNP . David Cameron told A Salmond that he had something on him in 2014 ,just look at Salmonds face after that meeting . The unionist media are showing to us all that there is a no holds barred WAR going on .

Can we now have a inquest into the Covid deaths , money stolen and bring Boris Johnson to book . Funny how the unionist are up for inquires that are pointing the finger at the SNP but not at themselves. England is a one party state but Scotland has at least two.

It looking more like a Jimmy Saville style political unionist rant , it's that " how dare you challenge me ,don't you know who I am" . Only Unionist ,see everything as a " were are always in the right . Just look at the Tory,Labour and Lib rants in Hollyrood. They didn't give a dam about Salmond until a new referendum popped its head up. Strange how one man is more important than the 130,000 plus innocent people that died of Covid. It's easier to conquer a divided enemy when a referendum is in the wings.

And ‘Who is causing the Division’?
    Douglas Ross stated that ‘The Civil War within the SNP’ is running out of control and could possibly take Scotland down with it.
    I doubt very much if Boris has anything to do with that, or will the Non Unionists blame him anyway.
    Time to do the Housework within the SNP.
    Last edited by The Horseman; 26-Feb-21 at 19:32.

Corky etal.,
    It would appear that for you and friends, the Non Unionists, the ‘Tide is a Turnin’!
    Been keeping up to date, and methinks the High Jinkx’ of your Leaders is upsetting the Average Person!
    All the money spent on Lawyers fees etc., etc., could be better spent helping the people!

And if anyone has forgotten.....The money spent is the Public’s money!

What say YEE.......

Corky etal.,
    It would appear that for you and friends, the Non Unionists, the ‘Tide is a Turnin’!
    Been keeping up to date, and methinks the High Jinkx’ of your Leaders is upsetting the Average Person!
    All the money spent on Lawyers fees etc., etc., could be better spent helping the people!

And if anyone has forgotten.....The money spent is the Public’s money!

What say YEE.......

From what I'm seeing, the tide has not fully turned....yet, anyway.

Let's clear up a couple of things, there is no money being spent on lawyers or anything else.....it's an internal investigation being carried out by a committee, made up of MSPs....and the purpose is to find out what went wrong with the initial investigation of claims of misconduct, by 2 women, against AS, and why it took them so long to admit that what they were doing was illegal, resulting in having to pay out such a large amount in legal costs, and who was responsible for this. That's it.

There is unrest in the Yes movement at the moment for several other reasons however. Without going into it too deeply, otherwise I'll be here all night, the problems are......the Hate Crime and Public Order Bill, the Gender Recognition Reform (Scotland) Bill, and the use of female-only shortlists to choose candidates for the 2021 Scottish Parliament elections in 9 areas (including Caithness).

Last but not least, the new inclusive policy of putting disabled and BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) candidates on top of the eight SNP regional lists for the forthcoming Scottish Parliament elections. We got the disabled selection up here in Highlands and Islands. The problem is, party members voted on who they wanted on the list, but no matter who got the most votes, a disabled or BAME candidate was selected (by somebody?) to top the list, whether they lived in the region, or were who the members wanted to represent the area or not, and many self-Id as disabled to qualify. There is also anger among many, at how the NEC was allowed to pass this motion, when they were told, by their own legal experts, that it was not quite legal and they would probably lose if challenged in court. They did it anyway.

Now there is some real stuff to get your teeth into, and your wee google engine on high octane.

A wee tip....don't use the Daily Mail or the BBC. Try some bloggers or something.

See ye soon.

I'd just like to add a few other points on this topic.

It is clear that some people are concerned about the direction currently being taken by the SNP. However, for those of us who believe in an independent Scotland the SNP represent the only realistic choice when we get to the ballot box. I'm not a member, nor am I happy with everything they have been doing. And, I certainly have some concerns relating to the points posted by Shabbychic above. But, I will hold my nose and vote SNP. Gaining independence is not going to be achieved if supporters start voting for Unionist parties. The big danger for the SNP is not voters changing sides but independence supporters abstaining. However, once those independence supporters have had time to consider the real consequences of not voting SNP I feel sure a fair number will actually vote for them whilst sporting a clothes peg on their noses.

Secondly, and in relation to the allegation that the "tide is a turnin'" might I recommend Paul Kavanagh's recent blog post entitled, "The Strange Case of the Opinion Poll that wasn't". It's a fair old read so the following quote might help.

"But it soon transpired that all was not as it seemed. The figures from the Comres poll turned out to be unweighted figures, which to simplify somewhat means that they were figures which had not been put through the polling company’s normal statistical procedures to ensure that the poll represented a statistically balanced sample of the population which is likely to vote. In fact the raw numbers in this poll were identical to the those in another poll carried out by the same company in February , which after being processed for weighting had Yes ahead by 53% to 47% once undecideds were excluded."

Selective reporting by the UK MSM means a negative spin will be put on all issues affecting the SNP / Scottish Government. Another quote from Paul illustrates this perfectly.

"
    Speaking to the Herald newspaper recently, Alistair Campbell, the former spin doctor for Tony Blair, said that the saga had exposed the double standards of the British media, noting that it seemed “less well disposed to covering in quite such detail, and with quite such force, scandals involving the UK government in London”. He added that “[his] complaint with the BBC and other broadcasters is not that they are inherently biased, but that they are overly influenced by the agenda set by these politically motivated organisations posing as voices of the people”, and noted that “If the London media applied the same judgements and standards to Johnson and his team, as they did to Labour in power, or are doing to the SNP in Scotland now, I suspect he would have been so shredded he’d have gone back to writing columns for the Telegraph and Spectator by now.”

So Horseman, please do not rely on the UK MSM and do as Shabbychic says - "Try some bloggers or something".

Well, there is only one 'opinion poll' that counts and that is coming up shortly and is called an election. So I guess we all have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Well, there is only one 'opinion poll' that counts and that is coming up shortly and is called an election. So I guess we all have to wait and see.
    And wouldn't it be wonderful, if just for once, the MSM reported fairly and honestly on the election campaign and didn't spend the entire time trying to smear one party in the hope that people won't vote for them. Surely it cannot have escaped your attention that the level of "SNP Bad" coverage in all areas of the MSM has recently been turned up to 11. Might that have something to do with the forthcoming election?

I'm not responsible for any of it, Corky!
    I would, however, say that it has something to do with a very public fall out between the current FM and the former FM and the utterances of the former FM have nothing to do with any of the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    I'm not responsible for any of it, Corky!
    I would, however, say that it has something to do with a very public fall out between the current FM and the former FM and the utterances of the former FM have nothing to do with any of the media.

Where did you get the idea that I thought you were responsible?

Also, do you really think that the press have not hand-picked the "utterances of the former FM" so as to do maximum damage to the SNP and NS? It's not what you say that is important in these situations it's how it is interpreted and reported by the MSM. They will do their utmost to interpret any "utterances" in such a way as to maximise the negative impact upon the SNP. And so, what AS has said has everything to do with the media.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast