Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's all going so well, isn't it?

Just to illustrate the point about the MSM I spent a couple of minutes on Google trying to find examples of the UK MSM flat-out lying about the Scottish Government. It revealed endless examples one of which was this post by Stuart Campbell - https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-he...-always-a-lie/. It is the perfect illustration of the extent to which newspapers will go to sell copies and to malign the Scottish Government's achievements.

It is also worth remembering that any words and phrases in a newspaper headline which are contained within quotation marks should be treated with great care. They probably derive from a politician/pressure group happy to provide a friendly editor with anti-SG rhetoric. The newspaper knows it will not be sued because the comments are a quote and so don't have to have any facts to back them up. So all you need is to get is a political hack to refer to something as a crisis and bingo, you have another SNP Bad headline.

Ok so according to you AS never said 'Nicola broke the Ministerial Code'? That is all MSM hogwash is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Ok so according to you AS never said 'Nicola broke the Ministerial Code'? That is all MSM hogwash is it?

What? How could you possibly infer that from anything I said?

Just for argument's sake I'll do the same sort of reply to your implication.

OK, so according to you the MSM do not have an anti-SNP agenda and endeavour only to print verifiable facts. That is all seperatist hogwash is it?

Another illustration of how things have been going appallingly badly for HMG yet no-one in the MSM seems unduly bothered came over the weekend. Whilst listening to the podcast of the latest edition of The Now Show (BBC Radio 4) I was struck by the content of a piece about Government failings. Heading a long list of calamities was a recent report from MPs on the Public Accounts Committee which stated that HMG's Test and Trace system in England, cost £37 billion and has failed to deliver ANY of its targets. The now Baron Macpherson of Earls Court is a former Permanent Secretary to the Treasury. He described the system as "winning the prize for the most wasteful and inept public spending programme of all time".

Now, £37 billion of public money has been wasted on just this one issue by Boris Johnson's government. That figure is considerably more than the budget given to the Scottish Government to run Scotland for a year. Has there been an outcry about this catastrophic display of incompetence and wastefulness? No, is the answer because the MSM have been far too busy manufacturing lies about the Scottish Government and the SNP as well as working themselves into a lather about Harry and Megan. Just think about it; your taxes (direct and indirect) will probably rise very soon to help pay for the Covid19 response. We are all going to have to pay dearly for HMGs shambolic management of the pandemic despite the fact that they themselves have created the massive fiscal black hole. And, to add insult to injury the Treasury is saying there is not enough money to give nurses in England any more than a 1% pay rise.

In any normal country there would be calls for heads to roll. There would be inquiries into how such a momentous balls-up could ever have been allowed to happen. But not in the UK where the MSM look the other way and a long list of Tory donating companies benefit from government contracts.

Of course, none of this matters when there is an election in the offing and dirty work needs to be done to damage the SNP's prospects.

Yet more evidence has been emerging about the quite appalling mess HMG have made of Brexit. The links below all come from just the main page of the Europe news section on the BBC's site. And in case you think I have been saving these up; they are all from today.

UK Exports to the EU - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56370690
    EU taking legal action against UK over NI - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56285874
    US concerns over EU/UK tensions over NI - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56356033
    Border checks delays & lack of preparedness - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56361229

You are very good at deflection!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    You are very good at deflection!!
    Thank you. It's nice to think I'm good at something but what am I deflecting from?

Nothing, and by that I mean absolutely NOTHING in recent UK history has been so cataclysmically and disastrously mishandled as HMG's Brexit. The second most cataclysmic and disastrous mishandling during the same time frame is HMG's Covid response. To have both happening at once is quite an achievement and one which history will not look kindly upon.

If you want to see experts in deflection watch any UK government minister giving a press conference in which s/he is trying to defend current government policy. It just so happens that the current SNP internal dispute provides an ideal opportunity to get people to look elsewhere whilst the the bodies get buried ever deeper.

Corky you are right all along,
    why would we, Scots who are still living in EU land, want to buy from UK unless you have to .... a Jigsaw for my nice from Gibsons 13pounds,+ shipping costs 12 Pounds, + import Vat 8 Pounds so transport is more expensive than the present.
    another example I sent a a small calander by post in Jan to Scotland instead of 3 Pounds now 12 Pounds.
    and just a mention the Vacine arrangement in the EU wasn“t well done but all 27 countries asked the Comission to organise. OK they haggled over the price too long, but also the EU exports to outside counties to try and help the world get on ( The UK does not).
    just thought i would chatter.

I don't think the full effects of Brexit have been felt yet. I tell you what though! Covid19 will be used by HMG as the excuse for many of the ills that will befall the UK in the coming years including the effects of Brexit.

corky you are absolutely right. I think the crunch will start after they realise that the first phase of corona is over and the money has to be found somewhere. Europe is slow its not perfect but this can only get better if people work together for a better way of life. thats what Johnson and his croonies dont understand its me,me,me.

@Bobbyian. Thank you. I think you hit the nail on the head so far as the Tories are concerned. They are utterly shameless in their various deceptions as last week's shenanigans over Nicola Sturgeon showed. Of course, don't forget the endless promises and reassurances made to Scottish fishing communities. Most were abandoned without a second thought when they sacrificed the fishing industry to secure a Brexit deal.

Corky,
    whats the score on Alex Salmond with his Alba Party thats the same as Johnson (me,me,me,) if he really wants independence then he should have backed sturgeon while the going was in her favour with 53% awhile back instead of disrupting the party.
    have a good Easter

It would take far too long to go through everything that has brought us to the current state of affairs. What makes matters more complicated than simply just competing egos and a desire for revenge is the voting system we have for the Scottish parliament. It has been designed to stop any one party securing a majority. Thus, the better a party does in winning constituency seats the worse it will do in being allocated regional seats. On one level at least AS's argument is logical. By only entering candidates for regional seats the Alba Party will not damage the prospects of the SNP winning the bulk of constituency seats. The argument would then be that if the AP can get a sufficient share of the regional vote they will be allocated seats and so will add to the size of the pro-independence group of MSPs.

The whole issue is far more complicated than that, of course and I confess I don't know how it is all going to play out.

Corky Thanks for the info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123