Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollandmey Windfarm

Default Hollandmey Windfarm

So the Windfarm Gangsters have Mey in their sights.

Will the people of the area be bothered to question the need for this development which will be right in the middle of one of Caithness's tourist hotspots.

This development, without doubt, will permanently scar this area, the other local existing windfarms can be seen for miles and this one will be no different.

Scottish Power Renewables are launching their public relations exercise again (20th Jan) and will be telling us of the great benefits to the area such as jobs and a Community fund. They will no doubt produce a lengthy biased scoping report compiled by Consultees that are in SPR's pocket.

In reality some local contractors may be lucky enough to get some work but SPR will use their own contractors from outside to do the bulk of the work. The truth is that this development will not create any local full time jobs.

The so called Community Fund will not benefit Mey or the surrounding area. It would be most likely that any Community Fund (bribe) would be hijacked by The Highland Council Inverness and squandered down there.

Whilst considering the impact of the Turbines on the landscape and terrain also consider the infrastructure that will have to be built to get the electricity to the grid. This would be sub stations and probably pylons which will be the preferred and cheaper option to trenching the lines.

The only people to gain anything from this windfarm will be the landowner who will probably be leasing the land to SPR and of course SPR who will reap and milk every grant and subsidy available which are, ironically, created by taxpayers contributions.

One thing is for sure if Planning Permission is granted SPR will not be interested in any unforeseen issues created by the building works. The residents in the locality will be left with devalued properties, views that will make their eyes sore and the local hospitality trade left with rental properties that will no longer appeal to tourists.

We need to produce greener power but should it be done at any cost to the environment. Surely there are areas in Scotland that could take windfarms without having such a drastic impact on peoples lives.

Just think about it.

Yes, and to add insult to injury for considerable portions of time, the companies are paid by the tax payer to keep them switched off. Also, the over-riding of local democracy by the Scottish Government (when local people have overwhelmingly rejected yet more turbines and their concerns are just dismissed) is truly shocking and disgraceful. Truth is, the off shore wind turbines are far better and we do not need more land based turbines and Caithness is stuffed full of them already. I agree with all you have said.

Cement production is responsible for approx., 7% of Global CO2 Emissions! Yup.

If Life gives you wind then make wind energy.

Definitely agree with Tom Bowler that we should be ready to oppose this huge development. Am I right in thinking the proposed turbine height is the greatest in Caithness at 149m to tip? Very nearly 500ft! Late last year Scottish Energy Minister Paul Wheelhouse spoke about the importance of off-shore wind energy for our future net zero emissions target and I believe the Scottish Government has an ambition to develop off-shore wind energy to power 8 million homes by 2030. With this potential off-shore, there is no justification to further blight the environment in our remote, beautiful corner of the UK.

Bad Fearn windfarm, Dunbeath, which is currently in planning is 180m. to tip so if consented that will be the highest to date. Stemster windfarm, Latheron, still in scoping is 200m. I'm afraid there is no guarantee that any height limit will remain as they frequently come back with amendments these days. A windfarm in Sutherland was consented last year at 180m. and since then they have submitted two amendments taking it to 210m. The planning officer concerned described this as a "slight variation" !
    There is nothing net zero about wind energy as masses of fossil fuels are required for their construction including huge concrete bases and gallons of oil. The oil of course needs to be replaced from time to time. I have no idea what they plan to use to replace oil in anything mechanical if they do indeed go net zero.
    All windfarms, on and offshore, are very damaging environmentally. They are a money-making scam and should be opposed as strongly as possible.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanJ View Post
    Snip: I believe the Scottish Government has an ambition to develop off-shore wind energy to power 8 million homes by 2030. With this potential off-shore, there is no justification to further blight the environment in our remote, beautiful corner of the UK.
    According to the Scottish Government’s own statistics, there were 2.6 million households in Scotland, so aside from selling the surplus electricity to National Grid, is there really any need for hundreds more turbines?

https://www.gov.scot/publications/ho...mmary/pages/5/

Absolutely not. Existing windfarms have been paid over £926m. to switch off because the Grid can't use what they're generating so why do they keep building more? That's not even the total as a whole lot more is kept secret. Most of this money is in Scotland which has the majority of windfarms and a much smaller population than England. The difference in planning is that English communities have more control whereas Scottish ones have hardly any since our government continually over-rules local decisions. What makes it worse now is that applications continue to pour in with no proper consultation since it's all online during lockdown. This excludes everyone with little or no broadband.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

A lot on NIMBYers in here
    Can’t say I noticed such opposition to the other wind farms in the area.
    We are committed to the green energy so up they shall go.
    If planning is not granted th Scottish executive will step in and overrule

It isn't Nimbyism- it is seeking to protect what is left of wild landscape from developments that will make diddly squat difference to climate change (which everyone is worried sick about). It is not as though Caithness doesn't have wind farms- the county is swamped and with countless others in the scoping and planning stage. People who live here have a right to object to what they hold dear when they are the ones affected by these monstrosities. The wildlife that I hold dear is being immensely affected as well- things being wiped out in the here and now for no gain whatsoever. People have objected to other developments and still are doing but I fear they will not be listened to as that is the way it goes now. Decisions will be taken by people living in Edinburgh who have green spaces which they can enjoy that are not blighted by turbines whereas here, we now have fewer and fewer places to go that do not have turbines. Does anyone seriously think that all that operation of machinery and pouring of concrete and putting in immense tracks over the peat is actually good for carbon emissions and climate change?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    It isn't Nimbyism- it is seeking to protect what is left of wild landscape from developments that will make diddly squat difference to climate change (which everyone is worried sick about). It is not as though Caithness doesn't have wind farms- the county is swamped and with countless others in the scoping and planning stage. People who live here have a right to object to what they hold dear when they are the ones affected by these monstrosities. The wildlife that I hold dear is being immensely affected as well- things being wiped out in the here and now for no gain whatsoever. People have objected to other developments and still are doing but I fear they will not be listened to as that is the way it goes now. Decisions will be taken by people living in Edinburgh who have green spaces which they can enjoy that are not blighted by turbines whereas here, we now have fewer and fewer places to go that do not have turbines. Does anyone seriously think that all that operation of machinery and pouring of concrete and putting in immense tracks over the peat is actually good for carbon emissions and climate change?
    Caithness is flat, as windy as hell and sparsely populated, makes it the ideal spot for wind farms.
    We will continue to see them built here as long as they are financially attractive to the energy companies.
    W.A.T.P.

Yep, you've hit the nail on the head- it is greed not green but dressed up to sound wonderful and planet saving. What a big scam and that is what it is. The off shore turbines work far better and are more reliable. I just about support them being built off shore if we have to have them (though worry about the effects on cetaceans and other marine life- but the bases at least act as shelter and 'reefs' to a certain extent) but there is no excuse for more on land whatsoever.

Despite many people laughing at my theory , but I feel that if you are surrounded by windfarms then it must make it less windy on land.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

To put the record straight, this development will not be in my back yard but it will be in the next neighbourhood's back yards so may be you should be calling me a "NIMNBY", Not In My Neighbours Back Yard.

The fact is that as soon as one windfarm goes up and the infrastructure (pylons etc) go up windfarms tend to multiply like rats.

I am under no illusion as to the fact that the Scottish Government will rubber stamp any possible development that they think may help to replace lost income from the ailing oil industry. However for the time being, at least, I believe Scotland is still a democracy and so people have the right to voice their opinions even though they will be disregarded by SPR and the authorities.

I do hope that people will let SPR and the landowner know that they are as welcome as flies round a livestock's arse.
    Tom Bowler, Proud to be a NIMNBY !

I have no objection to wind turbines and this development will be very close to me. What I do object to is the form of so-called community benefits, i.e. a few hundred thousand gets paid into a fund that a clique then distributes to causes they deem to be worthy. I'd prefer to see a system where everyone living within a defined distance, say up to 3 miles, of a development such as this, is paid an annual share of it's revenue. Even just 1% of the revenue from a wind farm of this size would cover every household's electricity bill within an area the size I suggest, it could easily be a condition of planning permission.

Just remember that the monies paid out as Community Benefits, are a fraction of the profits made by The Company.
    So ‘the people’ are paying this money to have the wind farm operating (or not), and then receiving some small benefit as an incentive to let them build and operate!
    You are paying them....... to allow them to give back ‘a pittance’!

I hear that some people don’t understand that whatever Money The Community receives, is either paid out of your pocket for Electricity, or paid by The Gov’t to keep them from operating! And that Gov’t money is ‘your money’!

Make no mistake about it.

Mey and the surrounding area will not gain anything at all should this development go ahead. The only winners will be the land owner, SPR, shareholders and the Scottish Government. The community fund would be paid in to The Highland Councils account for investment south of Golspie.

The windfarm companies are always vague about the so called community benefits and it would be very unlikely that your idea of free electricity would even be considered as in windfarm company language often used " It would set a precedence".

If this development is completed and you find there are any issues created by it then you will also find that you will be talking to a brick wall as SPR and their colleagues will not be interested in resolving any unforeseen issues. They are amongst the most callous business people you could ever meet and sadly they do not give a damn about you or your community.

If you are very lucky SPR may be forced to repair the damage to the roads caused during construction activities so we may gain a few hundred yards of good road surface, now there's a novelty !

Some interesting developments in wind and hydro turbine technology which may result in less environmental impact. Not much use in respect of Hollandmey but perhaps a wee bit of hope for the future.

Bladeless Wind Turbines

Vertical Axis Wind Turbines

Turbulent Turbines

I see that ScotGov are to spend a lot of money to restore peatland.

All good stuff but then they grant permission to dig up acres of peatland in order to build windfarms and their infrastructure all over Caithness.

I must be missing something here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bowler View Post
    Just think about it.
    Yes I have done that. I think the risks to the Scottish countryside are greater if we do not act on reversing the effects of Climate Change. We have had very bad wildfires in Caithness over recent years with untold damage to property and wildlife.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast