Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Doom and Gloom in the UK

Default Doom and Gloom in the UK

We are all enduring a Cost of Living Crisis the like of which is generally only found in failed states. Whatever the cause(s) more and more people seem to be of the opinion that HMG have it within their power to mitigate the impact but have chosen not to. In other words the COLC is effectively government policy.

Martin Lewis has been saying this for some time now. Others have commented upon the massive profiteering by the energy companies and the deliberate lifting of price caps by HMG. Your government in Westminster is choosing to make you poor.

As a consequence we are all facing unnecessarily high energy costs. Stories of the price hikes hitting business are begining to emerge and it is clear that the situation is unsustainable in the long term. Yet still HMG is not prepared to intervene. The chart below shows just how much more we in the UK are paying for our electricity than our European neighbours (click image to enlarge). As I said, HMG could do something about this but choose not to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Energy Prices.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	35826

But who does HMG point to as the reason for the woes afflicting us. Not profiteering multi-nationals. Not Russian oligarchs. Not China. Not their own incompetence and certainly not Brexit. Instead they blame folk on benefits.

https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/...54433610289153

Even Neil Oliver, the one time poster boy of the British Establishment, is having to reconsider his position.

And I always thought that the first duty of any government was to safeguard the well-being of its population. How naive.

Wonder why your image looks nothing like the one on this web site, fair enough it does not include the UK. Looks like the price in Germany has shot up 397 Euros in 1 day.

https://euenergy.live/
    If all is not lost, where is it?

Better still here is a link to where the data actually comes from. Still looks nothing like the figures your claiming.

https://www.epexspot.com/en/market-d...de=map&period=

Corky, try reading more than just the National. It's a worldwide issue, not only confined to the UK https://moneyweek.com/economy/inflat...t-40-year-high

@ Goodfellers - Absolutely NOTHING I used in my original post came from The National. And, as usual you ignore the main point.

My point was, not that this is a UK-only issue but rather that HMG is doing nothing meaningful to mitigate its impact. This article from The Guardian details what some other countries are doing. As I said, HMG could be doing something about this but is choosing not to.

As to the map detailing electricity prices the second one matelot79 points to appears to be showing showing financial market statistics. If you give give a link to a specific chart that would be great.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-20 at 13-29-54 Market Data EPEX SPOT.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	35827

Looks like the same image, except the one you posted has been cropped to hide where it came from. Quote from their web site,

"EPEX SPOT offers a wide range of products and services, to trade across the entire value chain of electricity."

https://www.epexspot.com/en

Quote Originally Posted by matelot79 View Post

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-20 at 13-29-54 Market Data EPEX SPOT.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	35827

Looks like the same image, except the one you posted has been cropped to hide where it came from. Quote from their web site,

"EPEX SPOT offers a wide range of products and services, to trade across the entire value chain of electricity."

https://www.epexspot.com/en
    That image appears to be a graph showing financial market data of some sort. Look at it closely. If it were showing electricity prices then the place to live is Northern Norway where the figure shown is €0.77. In southern Norway on the other hand a figure of €444.53 is shown. Are you suggesting there is that much of a difference in the cost per Mw/h between the north and south of one country? The images you and I posted are not showing the same set of data. I'm not entirely sure what your chart is actually showing but it is not showing the same as mine.

Try looking at the web site. Both these images are from the same web site, if you use google lens to search for the image and compare, there are similar images showing other data but none have the same obscured countries.
    Here is the same background image from 4th April 22 showing exchange electricity prices.

https://twitter.com/energy_charts/st...16995872702464

Here is the price table from the same web site.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-20 172852.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	35828

Well, I still don't think our respective images are showing the same data. Mine is showing countries whereas yours has some countries divided into regions.

Be that as it may, my central theme is that other countries have recognised the harm COLC is having on their populations and are helping mitigate the impact. Our (UK) Gov't is refusing to assist in any meaningful, long term way and seems content to abandon people to the vagaries of the market. It will have appalling long term consequences for many and their lack of concern is unforgivable.

I've just found this article from CNN. It offers a succinct explantion of what has been happening and why.

[QUOTE=Corky Smeek;1204739]Well, I still don't think our respective images are showing the same data. Mine is showing countries whereas yours has some countries divided into regions.

Maybe have a closer look at the image you posted, looks like Denmark, Norway and Sweden are a bit divided.

I don’t mean to ‘burst your Bubble’ but quoting CNN, is like grabbing garbage out of thin air.
    Half their Reporters are gone, for everything from Manipulating the news, telling outrite lies, performing Indecent Acts on live TV.
    And that’s only half of it.
    They are Not Credible!

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    I don’t mean to ‘burst your Bubble’ but quoting CNN, is like grabbing garbage out of thin air.
    Half their Reporters are gone, for everything from Manipulating the news, telling outrite lies, performing Indecent Acts on live TV.
    And that’s only half of it.
    They are Not Credible!

Better to watch Fox News instead... Oh.. Wait a minute, can't. Not available in the UK due to them falling foul of UK regulations because of all their blatant lying & misinfirmation.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Methinks this will now change….
    CNN went with the False Narrative that Prez Trump was a Russian Mole!…De-Bunked!
    And Biden’s Sons Laptop was hidden by The FBI….. Another CNN falsehood!
    And Facebook was told not to Mention The Laptop.

CNN is Unreliable. Proven so.
    Biden is worse than ‘your guy’!