Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Post-Brexit Power Grab

Default The Post-Brexit Power Grab

This is just the start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-55687977

How many more broken promises? How many more lies? How many more gross deceits?

The simple fact of the matter is Westminster hates Holyrood. It hates us having any power over our own lives, so it is taking power back. The power grab was forecast yet scoffed at by the arch-Unionists on here. Almost immediately Brexit was done, it started. And this is just the beginning. How long will it be before the USA demands access to the Scottish NHS as part of a UK/US trade deal? How long before we have no choice but to have chlorinated chicken in our shops because a trade deal says we have to? How long before our shelves are full of GM foods?

And what about our fishing industry? Deliberately sacrificed to get Brexit done, with the added advantage (for them) that once it has completely collapsed Westminster can claim that we are now even less self-sufficient as a country. It's almost as if Westminster wants to destroy the Scottish economy, piece by piece, so that it can then "bail us out" and claim we are too poor and too stupid to run our own affairs.

We simply cannot allow our lives to be ruled by people who either ignore our wishes or who are actively trying to put us back in our pre-devolution box. Fortunately, the upcoming Holyrood election will give us another chance to demonstrate how we feel about these matters.

USA...NHS? Access?
    Chlorinated Chicken? No America have died yet..have they?......if so Stats and References...
    GM foods are already with you....
    Gosh you are so unhappy! Your still alive! Many are not!

I mean no respect, but perhaps get The Two Fish sorted out before you criticize everything else! Your Gov’t is making World headlines! And they are not good.
    Last edited by The Horseman; 16-Jan-21 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    I mean no respect, but perhaps get The Two Fish sorted out before you criticize everything else! Your Gov’t is making World headlines! And they are not good.
    I really have no idea what you are referring to here.

Salmond and Sturgeon....As quoted by BBC.

A couple of points.

I've never heard of a fish called Salmond - Wanda, yes but never Salmond.

You appear to be adopting the standard unionist argument of saying we can't consider Indy until "x" is sorted out. The problem is; there is always an "x" unionists consider needs sorting out before they can consider Indy. We have had enough.

Corky.....SALMOND.....SALMON, get it........?
    STURGEON...STURGEON....”

You have to get ‘Gov’t’ united to thrust ahead with change.....even if you did win the Ref., how could anyone rule with everyone with such different views.
    UNITED WE WIN....DIVIDED WE FAIL.....
    Again...The money you are putting away for the Vote, should be used to help the poor.
    Do you want a replica of the Brexit mess!!
    ........s
    Last edited by The Horseman; 17-Jan-21 at 17:02.

Duh! I got it. It's just that it is stupid.

You have made all of these points on countless occasions and on every occasion people on this side of the argument have gone to great lengths to point out the failures in your argument. I see no point in wasting time telling you the same stuff over and over again when you are clearly in no mind to accept what is staring you in the face.

Corky....is there anything I have said that is untrue?
    Say so if you disagree with me, but have some Ammo! Ty..

I refer you to the response I gave earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    I refer you to the response I gave earlier.

Come ‘Hell or High Water’! Bad way to turn a Country around!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 20-Jan-21 at 12:02.

You're becoming increasingly incoherent, Horseman. It's probably pointless engaging with you, but
    you seem obsessed with the SNP leadership as seen from your own narrow and peculiar perspective. I have relatives in Germany, and I can guarantee you that what they read about involves Scotland's politics and attitudes to Europe, not primary school fish jokes or gossip. Read a Scottish or UK newspaper that looks at the press in other countries and you'll see a surprising amount of comment and analysis on the independence question.

On the other hand, if you think CNN is a red conspiracy and take the like of Fox News seriously, you'll probably believe any amount of nonsense...

I took the ‘levity’ out. Sorry about that.
    I haven't seen a small respected Country with so many probs....especially those of a Sexual nature.
    Do you condone what is happening at the Leadership Level!
    Yes, I have read much about INDYREF2. Gossip?
    Some people are like horses ‘we blinders’.

I fail to see what business the future of Scotland has to do with you The Horseman, since you don’t live here and persist on doing down Scotland at every turn. Recent polls indicate that increasing number of the people of Scotland favour independence. The independence movement is far bigger than the SNP and it continues to grow. The SNP are but a means to an end, independence. Once Scotland is free of Westminster, we can choose a government of whatever shade we want/need. Yet you and your unionist parties take every opportunity to talk down our great country. There are dozens of small countries across the world who have become independent of the UK, why should Scotland be the exception?
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

‘Doing Down’..........just like the American poet you quote.
    You are correct...I don’t live there, but am somewhat proud if my Heritage, as are all the Emigrants! And usually visit nearly every year!
    Likely you will get your way...sometime...but the Antics of your Chosen Leaders would be quite hard to find elsewhere. These are your Leaders. I worked in and for Gov’t, and generally behind the scenes probs are dealt with..Behind the scenes!
    And what I do find troubling, is that in the midst of the Worst situation since ‘A World War’ or the previous Epidemics, some of you are attempting to ‘fracture’ the cohesiveness that is required to rid us of This Beast. And I understand putting much needed money away for the ‘The Cause’.
    Scots were never known for Selfishness!

And what I do find troubling, is that in the midst of the Worst situation since ‘A World War’ or the previous Epidemics, some of you are attempting to ‘fracture’ the cohesiveness that is required to rid us of This Beast.
    What is this ‘cohesiveness’ you speak of? If you are talking of the United Kingdom there had been little or no ‘cohesiveness’ since the Brexit referendum in 2016 where a tiny majority of English voters elected to drag everyone out of the EU. 62% of people of Scotland voted to remain. We are justifiably aggrieved because in the 2014 Independence referendum, we were promised that in order to remain in the EU we had to vote ‘No’. Our masters in Westminster reneged on us because they bowed to the rancid Ethnic nationalism growing in England.

And I understand putting much needed money away for the ‘The Cause’.
    Scots were never known for Selfishness!
    What are you implying? Cite evidence please.
    Maya Angelou

Gosh.....The Pandemic! You do have a way of moving away from the most important issue of our time.
    On reading several of ‘your’ newspapers, there is money being set aside for Indyref2.
    This isn't ‘a debate.....Its our Opinion Piece!
    All Parties/Countries should stand together and tackle The Pandemic. Then, and only then.... do The Indyref2 thingy! SIMPLES REALLY!

Gosh.....The Pandemic! You do have a way of moving away from the most important issue of our time.
    On reading several of ‘your’ newspapers, there is money being set aside for Indyref2.
    This isn't ‘a debate.....Its our Opinion Piece!
    All Parties/Countries should stand together and tackle The Pandemic. Then, and only then.... do The Indyref2 thingy! SIMPLES REALLY!
    By your own admission I can see you view everything to do with Scotland through the London-centric main stream media which is renowned for talking Scotland down.
    You make no mention of the Tory government’s relentless push for Brexit while it deals with the pandemic. Yet argue that the people of Scotland should not be pursuing independence until the pandemic has been dealt with. A prime example of double-standards and hypocrisy if ever there was one.
    Maya Angelou

The Brexit ‘thingy’ was ongoing a long time prior to The Pandemic.
    You figure out what Orkney and Shetland will do.........that fits into this equation!
    Get your Scottish Leaders ‘ducks in a row’. They are all fighting each other..........from what I see, viewing a series of Media outlets, you are in one big mess. If Scotland wants to GO, then set the stage properly.
    I am not against it, but it has to be done properly this time.

The Brexit ‘thingy’ was ongoing a long time prior to The Pandemic.
    You figure out what Orkney and Shetland will do.........that fits into this equation!
    Get your Scottish Leaders ‘ducks in a row’. They are all fighting each other..........from what I see, viewing a series of Media outlets, you are in one big mess. If Scotland wants to GO, then set the stage properly.
    I am not against it, but it has to be done properly this time.
    As soon as the pandemic was recognised as a problem Scotgov called for a pause in Brexit. The EU called for an extension to the 'transition period'; Wales and NI called for caution and further debate, but the Westminster Tory government stuck by its mantra, ‘get Brexit done.’ So, we are where we are.
    Orkney and Shetland have been part of Scotland since centuries before the Union with England and remain part of Scotland, no question. You are making the same argument as the unionists and failing to recognise the difference between a country, a county, an island or a region, however nebulous it may be.
    As I said before, the independence movement is bigger than both Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond. Clearly you choose not to recognise that.
    Our immediate concern is Westminster’s Internal Market Bill and the proposed ‘UK Wealth Fund’ which have been designed to undermine the devolved administrations and in particular the Holyrood parliament. When they are enforced, the logical result will be the sell-off of Scottish Water’s domestic water supply and distribution, the rescinding of the moratorium on Fracking across the Central Belt, the enforced further privatisation of the Scottish NHS and the perpetual presence of nuclear WMD within 35 miles of our most populous city. Scotland did not vote for this, or this Tory government, indeed Scotland has not supported a Tory government since 1955.
    Finally, we have seen a proliferation of smears across the media in recent months; it is what the Greater England Project does and they are entirely expected. You choose whatever you want to believe but I choose to have faith in the will of the people of Scotland.
    Maya Angelou

I was interested in The Horseman's view that, "... the Antics of your Chosen Leaders would be quite hard to find elsewhere." A remarkable assertion given what has been happening over the last four years in the USA. It also took only 2 minutes on Google to find some example of impropriety in her/his adopted homeland.

Canada's Rich History of Political Disgrace is just one of many.

Indeed there have been so many that Wikipedia has an entire entry devoted to Political Scandals in Canada. Just a little extra research brings up literally dozens of accounts of the various scandals involving Justin Trudeau - List of Scandals and Missteps Involving Canada's Trudeau is one recently published by Reuters.

A sense of proportion please. But if you want to engage in a game of Political Disgrace Top Trumps then I'm sure that Scotland would fare very favourably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast