Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Post-Brexit Power Grab

Well Corky....thank you for that ‘raft’ of information.

Canada........
    You start with Sir John A Macdonald. Frae Scotland.
    And end with Justin Trudeau.....His Mother was a ‘Sinclair’ frae Caithness!
    I didn't bother going any further......you try to scrape the bottom of the barrel, but it ends up being your own!

Unionist.....take a look at the true meaning.
    I would have to think that you are ‘Havering’! Laughing Emojee!

Political Disgrace...not so...
    It is necessary to get people ‘on the same page’ to be successful. How can you Unite a Country with what is going on! Ty...s

I just think that my precious England needs to cut loose Scotland so that the Scots can decide their own future. Scotland will have a bright prosperous future given her abundant natural resources and population skill level. I am warm to having an independent Scotland as a friendly neighbour with common goals. But I believe their communist ideals will undermine English nationalism if we stay together in Union.

I agree with Rheg.......but lets do it at a more appropriate time.
    Methinks Corky ‘ain't’ listening to the Latest news. Things are not getting better.
    Get Covid out of the way, and get the 2 Ministers....first and second, with their appropriate ‘baggage’ out of the way, and Scotland may be successful in finding it’s way to/as a Free Country!

@ The Horseman

If Covid 19 was cured tomorrow and on Monday, Salmond and Sturgeon were both banished for good, to the salt mines of Siberia you would just think of another "now is not the time excuse". Oh!, we can't have IndyRef 2 now because only 8 out 10 cats prefer Whiskas. We must make sure it's at least least 9 out 10 before we can agree. Sorry, you can't hold an IndyRef now as far too many folk are still putting their bins out too early. Perhaps when we have solved the age-old problems of how many roads must a man walk down and why it never rains in Southern California it'll be OK but not before. Unionists will always find an excuse for denying us our democratic right. Remember, any Union that prevents you from leaving is not really a Union; it's a hostage situation.

The people Spoke! Simples.

Things have changed since Indyref1 Horseman. Maybe if you lived in Scotland, you would fully realise that. Anyway, I think that moves are now afoot that are unstoppable to hold the second referendum. I want it to be on a legal footing though and to have the full weight it needs and I'm not too sure that even a sweeping SNP majority in the election indicates that. But I agree with Corky that with a clear majority now wanting to leave, at least as indicated by opinion polls, then that referendum needs to be held. I believe wholeheartedly in democracy and actually, if Scotland does vote for it then I would want it to be amicable and co operative with England and the rest of the UK (what's left of it) and the best way for that to happen is for Westminster I just typed Westmonster!) to do the decent thing. I speak as one who has an awful lot of reservations and considering not voting when it happens as I think that the future belongs to the young and I am not in the right age group.

@ Fulmar

I completely understand that you and others have reservations about independence. It's a huge step so it's entirely natural to be apprehensive. A few points though:-

Regardless of your age, your vote counts as does the vote of every other eligible voter in Scotland. I am no poulet du printemps myself but I make sure I vote in every election. You have as much right to have your voice heard as anyone else. The validity of any vote will only be enhanced if the turnout is high.

I agree it is preferable to have the vote carried out on a legal footing with a S.30 agreement. However, Westminster knows it holds all the aces in that respect and can just keep saying "now is not the time". Did you see George Osborne's comments on the matter last week? A couple of quotes sum up what I believe is the general mood in government. Firstly, "So what’s the second plan? Simple. Refuse to hold a referendum. It’s the only sure way you won’t lose one. Yes, the SNP will be in full cry — but so what?" and then there was the even more damning, "There’s a risk that the Scottish government holds its own plebiscite — but that won’t be legal, and the courts will stop the arms of the Scottish state, like the police and civil service taking part. Ask the jailed Catalonian leaders how their illegal poll worked out. The only way you can have legal path to independence is through a referendum that is voted for by the House of Commons. So don’t vote for one. Whatever the provocation.". Faced with such blind intransigence and denial of the clear will of the Scottish people to have IndyRef2, it may mean we have to adopt a different approach.

Also, the preservation of friendly relations with rUK would be a priority for any government in an independent Scotland. Why would it be otherwise? Brexit has shown us that cutting off your nose to spite your face is foolhardy in the extreme. Scotland and the rUK would both want good trade relations. It is not an anyone's interest for Indy to be anything other than amicable and co-operative.

Finally, given your apprehension, ask yourself how many countries who have gained independence have regretted it. Most of those did not have the advantages Scotland has yet they managed to make a success of it. Scotland can too.

Hi Corky. I always vote in elections but I meant that I would not vote in an Indy Ref 2. That way, I can stay true to the legitimate worries that I have but I won't be helping to deny an independent future to the young, who I absolutely know want that. I also intended my meaning to be that if Westminster continue to deny a so called 'legitimate' referendum for Scotland then naturally, Scotland would feel hugely aggrieved so that future relations would possibly not get off to a good start.

Clearly another Scottish independence referendum could be contentious; however, Scotland should not have to seek permission from Westminster to do so. Article 1 of both the United Nations International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the United Nations International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights reads:

1. All peoples have the right of self-determination. By virtue of that right they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development.

2. All peoples may, for their own ends, freely dispose of their natural wealth and resources without prejudice to any obligations arising out of international economic co-operation, based upon the principle of mutual benefit, and international law. In no case may a people be deprived of its own means of subsistence.

3. The States Parties to the present Covenant, including those having responsibility for the administration of Non-Self-Governing and Trust Territories, shall promote the realization of the right of self-determination, and shall respect that right, in conformity with the provisions of the Charter of the United Nations.

In effect the people of the Scotland have the right to self-determination. In International Law no state or country has any right to tell them otherwise.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

You're constantly harping on about not trusting 'the msm'.....Yet here you are posting links to the very same. Or is it, we can't trust msm, unless of course it agrees with your own personal views?

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    You're constantly harping on about not trusting 'the msm'.....Yet here you are posting links to the very same. Or is it, we can't trust msm, unless of course it agrees with your own personal views?
    In case you have forgotten MSM stands for Main Stream Media. The National could hardly be considered as main stream. And since every other newspaper is anti- SNP/Independence you will understand why I "harp" on about not trusting them. They fill their pages full of lies and there is next to no scrutiny because they are all basically on the same side. I know the MSM is lying to me so I "harp" on about it. You know the MSM is lying to you but the dog-whistle nature of their reporting means you are hearing and reading things you generally agree with so you don't question it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    In case you have forgotten MSM stands for Main Stream Media. The National could hardly be considered as main stream. And since every other newspaper is anti- SNP/Independence you will understand why I "harp" on about not trusting them. They fill their pages full of lies and there is next to no scrutiny because they are all basically on the same side. I know the MSM is lying to me so I "harp" on about it. You know the MSM is lying to you but the dog-whistle nature of their reporting means you are hearing and reading things you generally agree with so you don't question it.

You're right, The National can hardly be considered 'msm' will its extremely low circulation figure.

It is hardly an impartial source of information. It is the snp's propaganda rag. It's aimed at the 'Mel Gibson brigade.

It's only fit for tearing into strips, hanging on a nail in the outhouse and, just like the snp, it'll just make a terrible mess.

My, my; a wee bit on the grumpy side this morning, perhaps??

First of all you claim The National is MSM and you have a go at me for quoting it. Then you say it isn't MSM and have a go at me for being in the "Mel Gibson Brigade". Make you mind up.

As usual, of course, you haven't addressed the issue. I posted about Lord Frost's remarks and all you have done is attack both me and a newspaper that printed them. I was hoping for a bit of mature discussion on the topic but I suspect that was asking too much (from you at least).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12