Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Liz Truss's speech

Default Liz Truss's speech

Liz Truss's speech

"Equality debate can't be led by fashion, says minister Liz Truss:

The government is promising to focus more on people's social class and individual "character", as it overhauls its equality policy.

Equalities minister Liz Truss said the discrimination debate should not focus solely on race, religion, sexual orientation and disability.

Discussion had too often been dominated by "fashion" and not "facts", she said. ... "

Source:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55346920

In the mailonline reporting of this story, it also says " ... She used the speech, titled The New Fight For Fairness, outlined a new approach to equality, which she said would 'focus fiercely on fixing geographic inequality, addressing the real problems people face in their everyday lives, using evidence and data'. ... "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-issues.html

It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

I wish I could believe that anything would come of it but look at the heart breaking situation in Burnley. Years and years of absolute neglect and policies that have made things worse.

Please forgive my ignorance. What’s the situation in Burnley you’re referring to?

As long as we have to have equality policy and an equality minister...there will never be such a thing as equality, because the ones who shout/whine /complain/play victim loudest always win....and the minister would lose a chunk of her pay packet if the job was deemed unnecessary. Inequality is a political choice...just as austerity is.