Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: clay soil

Cool clay soil

Any ideas of what will grow in this

as everything we plants dies, a slow lingering and painful death, not unlike new labour and its spin.

we recently removed a rather ostentatious shed, and well we are in dire need of advice.

The only thing i can think is roses, but a few hundred roses at about £5.00 per rose is asking a bit much .

so any ideas what will grow will be appreciated

I have accessed the internet, but what will grow down south will not necessarily grow here.

Hi Jim Shoe.

You can improve greatly by adding compost (either bought or made) and sand. The amounts will very with the existing soil type. I have found 1/2/4 Sand compost/clay/ Very successful for veg. You end up with a very well worked and aerated soil.This is made easier by the use of a cement mixer. Dig out the clay. Mix together and put it back where it came from. It will give you a much deper bed thatn the amount you have dug out which is perfect for planting. It may need sieving. Hope this helps.

Edit. Thinking about it I reduced the sand to about 1/2 so it would be 1/4/8 ish
    Last edited by stratman; 24-Jun-07 at 18:00.
    They break our legs and we say "thank you" when they offer us crutches!!!

Voice of Experience Speaking: It's well worth the trouble to amend the soil before planting. If you take the time to improve it now, you will save yourself much money and work in future.

Give this site a try. I have found it useful in the search for plants....where they will grow and what goes with what.......Hope this helps

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/