Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Hamlyn's shop in Couper Street in 1971, now what was the old kiln was mostly demolished and rebuilt as flats.

Below the old offices of the Gas Works at Meadow Lane, now the municipal car park outside the Co-Op.

Last edited by thirsaloon; 06-Jul-07 at 22:17.

A view of Fred Shearers, Lindsays and the Ships Wheel from Olrig Street in 1972.

Last edited by thirsaloon; 06-Jul-07 at 22:23.

A view of Fred Shearers in 1977.

Brilliant. Can these not be made into a book just for Thurso, maybe with recollections from people in the toon. I would love to have a book full of these.

I remember going to Fred Shearers with my mum and getting my school clothes on tick!

I also remember going to Pentland Printers in two different places to get bags of cut off paper for playing with, I remember when it was on St Clair Street and also on the one way street leading from Olrig Street down to Woolworths, it was just up from Steven's Chip shop. Oh my goodness that remids me how much I loved Steven's chip shop

Below the Police Station in Olrig Street in 1977. The first Police Station in Thurso was in Wilson Street.

Also in 1977 MacKays the Ironmongers in High Street, now Buttress's.

Below High Street and Rotterdam Street in 1972, the shop with the crow stepped gable showing was Caithness Crafts.

The Marine Inn in 1971. Notice the kegs outside the door!

The Braehead with Fishermans Rest in 1971 and in my opinion a bloody shame it was demolished. Was a nice wee feature at the harbour.

Below is the store which was used by the Ships Wheel, seen here in 1984 now Dunnets garage. The brewery is in the background.

Ships Wheel in 1990.

Thats the last of my photographs for a wee while now. Hope the later piccys from the 1950' - 1990's bring back a few memories. Remember feel free to add to this with what you remember about the shops etc or send me a message with them!
    Last edited by thirsaloon; 06-Jul-07 at 23:01.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post

I would have loved to have seen Thurso Castle in its former glory! It was beautiful! We moved to Thurso in the late 50s, when I was a toddler. When I was growing up in Thurso, I always assumed the castle had been in ruins for many years. Little did I know that was not the case!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post

I have never seen the castle in all its glory - really beautiful. What a shame it didn't last. I remember Lord Sinclair starting to redo the roof but then found that it was too expensive, so he demolished the work he had done so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post

The Sinclair estate removed the roof to prevent them paying tax on it. Sad, innit?
    It is indeed sad, Pepsi, but the Sinclairs were not the only ones who had to resort to such drastic measures. In the late 1990s, I saw a BBC documentary series called "The Aristocracy". In one of the episodes, it explained that in the late 1940s and early 1950s, the British government started to impose exorbitant property taxes on the estates of landed gentry. This forced the aristocratic owners of castles and stately homes to do one of three things.

a. Sell their beautiful historic homes that had been in the family for many generations.

b. Open them to the public, so they could pay the high taxes with the revenue.

c. Remove a roof, or in some way partly demolish the buildings, thereby considerably lowering their property tax liability.

I think it's a crying shame that many had to resort to the latter, and indeed it must have been a heartwrenching choice to make! I found it heartbreaking myself just to see the before and after pictures of these castles and stately homes. It seemed like such a waste, ruining these beautiful architectural achievements. But that is the sad reality, I'm afraid!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Thanks for starting this super thread Thirsaloon. Lots of memories evoked by some of the posted pictures.
    If I get the settings right here are a couple more that may be of interest. The sources are either family pics or old postcards.

High Street looking towards Swanson Street circa 1910

Springpark 1958

I have some more to post if this thread stays live.
    Last edited by plasticjock; 07-Jul-07 at 11:43.

Anybody know what happened to the fountain(?) in the 'High Street looking towards Swanson Street circa 1910' picture? There's something round at the promenade next to the pavillion but memory fails me as to whether it is the same object?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Anybody know what happened to the fountain(?) in the 'High Street looking towards Swanson Street circa 1910' picture? There's something round at the promenade next to the pavillion but memory fails me as to whether it is the same object?
    Yes that is the same object Bob, it was moved in the 1950's by three men one of which was my father. They hired a truck from the late William Coghill of Dunnets Garage. It is in three sections and was moved to free up some parking space. It was recently refurbished by Robert Maitland. It was erected in the memory of Dr. John Grant Smith a highly respected doctor in Thurso.

Sheesh! That means some of my grey matter does still work - that's good news - I think

Thirsaloon - brilliant thread. lots of great memories and have loved every picture. Ta
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    Yes that is the same object Bob, it was moved in the 1950's by three men one of which was my father. They hired a truck from the late William Coghill of Dunnets Garage. It is in three sections and was moved to free up some parking space. It was recently refurbished by Robert Maitland. It was erected in the memory of Dr. John Grant Smith a highly respected doctor in Thurso.
    There are some lovely pictures of the refurbished monument elsewhere on the Caithness website at:
    www.caithness.org/atoz/thurso/ photogallery/index.php?gallery=64&image=0

Referring back to the picture of the Ellan Bridge opening, my brother tells me he seems to remember somebody getting fined for riding a vehicle across shortly after it opened. He doesn't know whether it was a motorbike or car. I can't remember the occasion but he is convinced it happened. Anyone confirm or deny the tale?

From Springpark circa 1890's

Not quite sure about the location for this picture. It was found amongst my late Granny's pics. The chap standing in the doorway is believed to be Joe Cardosi's brother (or half-brother) Peter and the shop could be in either Swanson Street or the High Street.
    Any info would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post

Referring back to the picture of the Ellan Bridge opening, my brother tells me he seems to remember somebody getting fined for riding a vehicle across shortly after it opened. He doesn't know whether it was a motorbike or car. I can't remember the occasion but he is convinced it happened. Anyone confirm or deny the tale?

Not quite sure about the location for this picture. It was found amongst my late Granny's pics. The chap standing in the doorway is believed to be Joe Cardosi's brother (or half-brother) Peter and the shop could be in either Swanson Street or the High Street.
    I recall one story about someone riding their bicycle over the Ellan bridge. The sherriff took a dim view because the guy who was caught was the same guy who painted the no cycling sign. Relative of Scotsboy I recall.
    The other guy was Peter Piericinni. He was a family friend of the Cardosis. The shop was sandwiched between Mackay the butchers and bottom Joes.

Daughter says they were told in school that someone drove a mini over the ellon bridge not long after it opened.

Default Old Thirsa Piccys

[QUOTE=gleeber;239151]I recall one story about someone riding their bicycle over the Ellan bridge. The sherriff took a dim view because the guy who was caught was the same guy who painted the no cycling sign. Relative of Scotsboy I recall.
    When i was an apprentice painter and decorator during the mid seventies i remember my foreman telling me that he had to paint the no cycling signs on the ellan bridge he did the sign on the sir archibald side of the bridge and then he cycled over to the other end of the bridge and low and behold there was a policeman who did him for cycling over the bridge,he went to court and got fined 10 shillings(50 PENCE)for his crime.

[QUOTE=Sig;239190]
    Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    I recall one story about someone riding their bicycle over the Ellan bridge. The sherriff took a dim view because the guy who was caught was the same guy who painted the no cycling sign. Relative of Scotsboy I recall.
    When i was an apprentice painter and decorator during the mid seventies i remember my foreman telling me that he had to paint the no cycling signs on the ellan bridge he did the sign on the sir archibald side of the bridge and then he cycled over to the other end of the bridge and low and behold there was a policeman who did him for cycling over the bridge,he went to court and got fined 10 shillings(50 PENCE)for his crime.
    Probably PC H*rp*r.

Default Ellan Bridge

There was a car driven over the bridge, just before they built the sides. I forget who it was now though, wouldnt take me long to find out!

Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast