Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Cool Great Job

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Wir lucky til hev ye here, thirsaloon,
    Yur contributions are really a boon,
    We enjoy yur owld photies an' mem'ries they bring,
    They mak' me sae happy, I feel could sing!

It's guid til tak' a trip doon Memory Lane,
    Sometimes we need til, til keep wirselves sane!
    In modern times, when things change ower fast,
    It's guid til ponder 'e days o' 'e past!
    Well sead Sporran I think the thirsaloon has made his mark,been a while since an old Glebe kid has enjoyed a thread so much,took me back to when I was a wee fella Thanks a lot for the memories Thirsaloon,keep up the great work,Regards from downunder
    I can resist anything but temtation

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    It's incredible to see how much it has deteriorated/eroded in that time - it's a shadow of it's former self! I wonder how much of that is due to adventurous kids scaling it (myself included) over the years. C'mon I'm not the only one !
    I don't know anyone who climbed the Clett rock and lived to tell the tale. I wonder if it was the needle' ee you were thinking about?

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    I don't know anyone who climbed the Clett rock and lived to tell the tale. I wonder if it was the needle' ee you were thinking about?
    I got halfway down Holborn Head before a Buccaneer jet flew past with the pilot and co giving me the eye... down at my level. That made me go back up, I can tell you!
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Smile Lindsay's shop

[quote=thirsaloon;235285]Attached is a photograph of Lindsays which im sure many of you remember. This photograph was taken in 1910. The building was newly built replacing the much older single story building. If I remember I will take a look for the older shop and post it.

Really interesting photos, Thirsaloon. You're doing a grand job.

Do you have any names on the Lindsay's photo? Have a family interest there.

Look forward to you posting the older one too.

Re. Sinclair Houston in Mackays, Ironmongers. I remember buying a pair of scissors when I first got married back in 1973. My instructions were to look after them and they would last for a long time. He was right, they did, but unfortunately, I lost them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    I would have loved to have seen Thurso Castle in its former glory! It was beautiful! We moved to Thurso in the late 50s, when I was a toddler. When I was growing up in Thurso, I always assumed the castle had been in ruins for many years. Little did I know that was not the case!
    Wow! I have never seen the castle in all its glory - really beautiful. What a shame it didn't last. I remember Lord Sinclair starting to redo the roof but then found that it was too expensive, so he demolished the work he had done so far.

Are there copies of the original photo for sale or offer? I would like one...
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    Hmmm I dunno - it just looks very much like a taller version of the one between Thurso & Scrabster - even looks like the photo was taken from Victoria Walk. Am I thinking of the wrong wee stack?

Bob the Clett Rock is past Holborn Lighthouse heading to Dounreay
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Hmmm I dunno - it just looks very much like a taller version of the one between Thurso & Scrabster - even looks like the photo was taken from Victoria Walk. Am I thinking of the wrong wee stack?

Helloooooooooo Bob!

Yer thinking of the Needle Eye or Needle E.e. as it is also written!

Thats the one along the Vic!

The Clett is a stack at Holburn Head and you need to get on a boat to get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    Wow! I have never seen the castle in all its glory - really beautiful. What a shame it didn't last. I remember Lord Sinclair starting to redo the roof but then found that it was too expensive, so he demolished the work he had done so far.

Are there copies of the original photo for sale or offer? I would like one...
    The Sinclair estate removed the roof to prevent them paying tax on it. Sad, innit?

Default Thurso Pictures

I have found a wonderful Robert Dick Poem, which I'm putting on the Lit page, if anyone would like to read it.

Trinkie

Default Thurso Pictures

I have now found an article taken from the Caithness Courier 17/5/1950 which reads

" ROBERT DICK

Sir -
    Robert Dick ! I wonder if the promoters of the Memorial Seat Fund have this name in the list for a seat ? I do think his name should be added if it isn't there already.
    I think Thursonians and indeed the people resident in Caithness everywhere would acclaim it as a very fine gesture to a great lover of nature and a geologist and botanist of whom we may well be truly proud.
    Yours etc
    Caithness Violinist ( Robert MacKay) "

and again on the 14/ 6/1950

" Sir -
    It gives me great pleasure to congratulate and thank the Thurso Memorial Seats Committee on their decision to name a seat after the great geologist and botanist, Robert Dick. It is a fitting tribute to the imperishable memory of a humble baker who, by his knowledge of, and his love for, the flowers and rocks of this rugged shire, won fame and renown for himself for all time by his labours in these fields of science and research. For classifying and naming his grand collection of flowers and rocks etc., that were it not for him, might never have been heard of or seen. It was left to Robert Dick to take over this gargantuan task and how well he did it we Caithnessians and indeed the whole of Scotland only dimly appreciate long after their discoverer is dead.

Yours etc.
    Caithness Violinist ( Robert MacKay ) "

E&OE trinkie

Default Thirsa Piccys

Above Traill Street around the 1960's and below Thurso Fruit Store in Sir John Square around 1920

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post

Above Traill Street around the 1960's and below Thurso Fruit Store in Sir John Square around 1920

Can someone tell me if I am right or wrong, the shop on the corner in the traill street photo, right next to St Johns Square, I seem to remember it being the County Stores before it moved up to Princes St across from Bews Butcher, I seem to remember going in there for fishing tackle, am I right or is it my imagination??

Default More Piccys

Above a Salvation Army Picnic in 1927 leaving from the Army Hall going up Market Street. Below is a Line of Sillocks from Thurso taken from a Postcard posted in 1922.

Last edited by thirsaloon; 06-Jul-07 at 22:05.

Default More piccys

The Pentland Hotel, Princess Street, seen here in 1920 with road works of some kind taking place outside.

Below is a Dougas side car with motorbike outside Lindsays shop in 1920. If you look to the bottom right hand corner you will see a Jack Russell sitting up on his hind legs looking up the street.

Above the Ships Wheel when it was situated in High Street, further up is Brocks and then Liptons which later moved in 1971 and was replaced with Nobles. Liptons then moved into Rotterdam Street and became Thurso's first supermarket. This photograph was taken just when the shop fittings was being added.

Another view of Liptons shop in High Street in 1930 with Mr MacKenzie the manager at the door.

Below a view of Traill Street in the late 1940's with The Empire Tea Rooms on the corner. Just before that you will see the petrol pump which used to stand outside Lindsays shop.

Below is Sir John's Square in 1967 with Thurso's first set of traffic lights in the foreground. In the background you can see the bandstand in the square. The Reg of the Mini is SK8083.

Below is High Street also in 1967. You can see one of the buses outside the stance they had at the Town Hall.

A view taken from Rotterdam Street looking up Traill Street and to the right the junction of Olrig Street around 1960.

Above another view of Traill Street around 1960, notice Hamish Camerons shop at the corner of the Royal Hotel.

Kirk View but orginally part of Back Shore Street in 1969. There was plans at one time to turn these buildings in to a museum but it never came to be.

Below Charlie Angus the butchers in June 1967 (now Gunn's Shoe shop).

Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast