Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1121

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Keep up the great work plasticjock. Love all the photos just vexed I don't have any myself. Surely there must be more folks out there with pictures that we'd love to see. Where has thirsaloon gone, he's bound to have some?

Name:  Durness Street Thurso.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  78.0 KB

Durness Street looking up from Swanson Street before Caledonian Place was built.

Name:  img006.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  76.5 KB

Durness Street showing Caledonian Place

Name:  img007.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  76.3 KB

Durness Street/Market Street showing Bank Street (Place) in background.

Default Thurso War Memorial

Name:  img004.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  80.9 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img003.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	17435

Scanned from two postcards I came across.

Thanks for posting the pics Swannie. I'm nowhere near as old as the photos, but remember that garden at 1 Durness Street always had immaculate flower beds.

Yes Buttercup. I lived beside the Salvation Army hall and always admired the gardens. Little did I know that I would eventually marry the owner's great nephew. Small world.

Lovely old photos! Thank you for sharing!

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie View Post
    Yes Buttercup. I lived beside the Salvation Army hall and always admired the gardens. Little did I know that I would eventually marry the owner's great nephew. Small world.
    Thank you for posting your great pictures Swannie. We may be in the midst of a small revival.....but we'll wait and see if it will inspire others.

Thurso Heritage Society has opened up a new Facebook group. In 4 days it has already attracted over 400 members and over 400 photos. A range of material is due to be posted - photographs, films, audio and much more. Currently there's a lot from the 1950's - 70's so there's plenty to bring the memories flooding back. You can find it here .

Thurso Heritage Society's Facebook page photographs are fantastic. A walk down memory Lane for lots of us....people... places...events! Well done to Alan for setting this up. Come on Plastic jock these are just up your street!

Sad news! our old friend and avid contibuter To OLD THIRSA PICTURES, namely PLASTICJOCK, has passed away. I noticed his obituary in the Courier.... Raymond Bryson was his name! so sad ... gone too soon!

I didnt know him other than through this thread I started sometime back.

He was always keen to add photographs to it though. R.I.P. Raymond

He was a Thurso lad ,and his dad, who lived at 19 Durness Street.think his mam was from Liverpool and the family moved back there in 1968. He would have just love the Heritage society forum on Facebook.

So sad to hear that. I am sure he would have loved the FB page and been an avid contributor.
    Interestingly enough my mother was a Bryson but from Lanarkshire and it was quite an unusual name in Thurso when I was growing up. Did not know him although he appeared to live quite near my family home.

Think the family lived in Springpark. He had sisters called Linda and Joan and a brother Andrew in Australia. The family left Thurso in 1968 to go back to Raymonds mothers home in Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Thurso Heritage Society has opened up a new Facebook group. In 4 days it has already attracted over 400 members and over 400 photos. A range of material is due to be posted - photographs, films, audio and much more. Currently there's a lot from the 1950's - 70's so there's plenty to bring the memories flooding back. You can find it here .
    He has put together a cracking collection of photos. The information that is coming out of it is so interesting and others are now getting involved and uploading their personal photos and sharing their memories and identifying some of the unknown folk. It would put together a really vivid timeline of Thursos past. Definitely worth a lookie. Think its about 800+ now joined. If you fancy a trip down memory lane - enjoy

Default Thurso Heritage Society Charity Appeal

Thurso Heritage Society has launched an online appeal to create a new bespoke interactive website promoting not just Thurso but the entire county. We have exclusive access to private collections which we will begin to make available to you ...for the first time.

These will be of great interest to the local community, as well as genealogists, historians, tourists, ex-pats, schools, colleges and other educational facilities. You might even be able to trace some information on your house history! Through these collections spanning over 300 years of Caithness history contained in thousands of items.

We need your help though! As a small registered charity we are not subsidised or receive regular funding in any way. All our work is done 100% voluntarily and all funds go back into the community.

We still have a long way to go to meet our shortfall, so if anyone else would like to donate we can give you details for a bank transfer or sending a cheque made out to Thurso Heritage Society by contacting us direct.

You can make a donation by cheque, made out to Thurso Heritage Society and we can give you a postal address.

You can use our email address thursoheritage1@googlemail.com for Paypal or make a donation using our BT Online appeal at https://mydonate.bt.com/charities/thursoheritagesociety and clicking on “donate” and then “I’m not registered” and follow the simple secure steps.

If you’re a member of an organisation that does fundraising and would like to do something for us get in touch

Remember you are not just doing this for the Thurso Heritage Society; you are doing it for Thurso, Caithness and future generations, because of YOUR generosity we can leave behind a positive educational and community legacy. EVERY donation counts!

Amazing all collation.I like it so much.

This is a great photo! I think this is the old fever hospital which closed down around 1910? I'm not sure what happened to it thereafter. The fever hospital was a wooden building and this one does not look definitely wooden. Have you any more information on it?

Many thanks

Jim Leslie