Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Referring to Dynamic Sounds mention of Johnston of Wick and Thurso.

I believe that Johnstons photographic studio in Thurso was the now, hairdressers in Princes Street (opposite the Station Hotel).

I have no personal recollection of it as my earliest memory was of the building being used as an argicultural implements business.

Default Ooooooop's Thirsaloon was wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by webmannie View Post
    Must correct you, it was Jock Mackenzie's kipper and knicker shops. He's 96 now, my daughter (his great grand-daughter) popped in to see him at the weekend.

Yes your dead right, sorry about the mistake with the name. Must have been the rush of trying to get photo's on this. I have had a blether with him before about the old days. Thanks for correcting me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Hmmm....

I seem to remember the detached building also, and Gunn's the jeweller was in it in 1972, possibly before. Could it be that after the cottages were demolished, a new building was built in the exact same location as the shop in the photos above?
    I imagine they just left that one standing as it was in use at the time and the rest were in ruins, but maybe thirsaloon could throw some light on it.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Wir lucky til hev ye here, thirsaloon,
    Yur contributions are really a boon,
    We enjoy yur owld photies an' mem'ries they bring,
    They mak' me sae happy, I feel could sing!

It's guid til tak' a trip doon Memory Lane,
    Sometimes we need til, til keep wirselves sane!
    In modern times, when things change ower fast,
    It's guid til ponder 'e days o' 'e past!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

The detached building some of you remember was a temporary wooden shop erected for Jack Souter whilst the arcade was being built. Originally he was in the old buildings before they were demolished to make way for the new arcade.The wooden shop was directly opposite the bike shop and whatsits. Jack Souter moved into where the sports shop is now.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post

The detached building some of you remember was a temporary wooden shop erected for Jack Souter whilst the arcade was being built. Originally he was in the old buildings before they were demolished to make way for the new arcade.The wooden shop was directly opposite the bike shop and whatsits. Jack Souter moved into where the sports shop is now.
    It's not a temporary wooden shop I'm thinking of, gleeber, and this was several years after the arcade was built (which was in the early 60s, was it not?)
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

It's not a temporary wooden shop I'm thinking of, gleeber, and this was several years after the arcade was built (which was in the early 60s, was it not?)
    I agree with Sporran. I am not old enough to remember the arcade being built but I remember the detached shop that Gunn's jewellers had in the High Street.

out of curiosity, anyone any pictures of Duke Street, as my brother-in-laws mam used to live there when she wis a wee lassie
    it's a sair fecht

Wir lucky til hev ye here, thirsaloon,
    Yur contributions are really a boon,
    We enjoy yur owld photies an' mem'ries they bring,
    They mak' me sae happy, I feel could sing!

It's guid til tak' a trip doon Memory Lane,
    Sometimes we need til, til keep wirselves sane!
    In modern times, when things change ower fast,
    It's guid til ponder 'e days o' 'e past!

Jeepers!

Never thought I would have someone mention me in a poem!!

This is the first time I have ever put a thread up on this and didnt expect it to get so much attention. Im thinking about maybe trying to do this slighty different before I put anymore photographs up. It would be handy for me if I just put maybe one or two pictures up and then asked for your comments/memories on them. Whether you can remember the building, shop, who worked in it, what it looked like inside etc?

Maybe a different thread for each one so the comments dont all become a jumble!

Or would you prefer I keep them to this thread only but only one or two pictures every so often?

Any suggestions please feel free to add to this or send me a pvt message.

Default Duke Street

Quote Originally Posted by jings00 View Post
    out of curiosity, anyone any pictures of Duke Street, as my brother-in-laws mam used to live there when she wis a wee lassie
    I think I may have an aerial photograph of it but nothing at ground level, I have been hunting for one for a few years now with no luck. I have asked people whose families resided there but nobody seems to have and of course then cameras was a bit of a luxury item to have so they wouldn’t be snap happy like we are today.

The Transit Camp is another one I can’t find. I have an aerial photograph but again nothing at ground level. Having said that I’m always happy to see anything of Thurso/ Scrabster as it may be of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post

Jeepers!

Never thought I would have someone mention me in a poem!!

This is the first time I have ever put a thread up on this and didnt expect it to get so much attention. Im thinking about maybe trying to do this slighty different before I put anymore photographs up. It would be handy for me if I just put maybe one or two pictures up and then asked for your comments/memories on them. Whether you can remember the building, shop, who worked in it, what it looked like inside etc?

Maybe a different thread for each one so the comments dont all become a jumble!

Or would you prefer I keep them to this thread only but only one or two pictures every so often?

Any suggestions please feel free to add to this or send me a pvt message.
    Ah, but you're a celebrity now, thirsaloon!

I would suggest maybe a thread for each photo or pair of "then and now" photos. That would definitely keep things more organised.

thanks Thirsaloon
    it's a sair fecht

A thread for each set of photos would be my preferrance.....Maybe you will end up with a whole forum of your own!

Good luck, and keep the memories coming.........Please!!!
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by Sairheed View Post
    Referring to Dynamic Sounds mention of Johnston of Wick and Thurso.

I believe that Johnstons photographic studio in Thurso was the now, hairdressers in Princes Street (opposite the Station Hotel).

I have no personal recollection of it as my earliest memory was of the building being used as an argicultural implements business.
    Johnstons was situated there indeed. They were in Thurso from 1896 - 1938. There was number of other photographers in Thurso long before them but whatever happened to the negatives etc I couldnt say!

Default grumpy guts returns!!

dont get me wrong , thses photos are great

but , if i dare to try and post a joke on this forum i have several moderators chasing me to move it to the correct forum.

sour grapes ? sure is!!
    beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post

Attached below are two photographs of Thurso Castle. This is the 3rd castle which was built at Thurso East. And the forth to have been built in Thurso.
    Work on the castle in the photo's below was carried out between 1874 and 1876 when the previous castle was renovated by Sir Tollemache Sinclair.

The tower was 8 floors and 100 feet high but the founds were made for taking an tower 40 feet high therefore it was never going to last. By 1914 the tower had already started to lean and it was evacuated. Then a sea mine was washed ashore exploding, blowing out some of the windows. Although it was thought no structural damage was done. The castle then had to be abandoned in 1951 and the roof was removed the following year.

I would have loved to have seen Thurso Castle in its former glory! It was beautiful! We moved to Thurso in the late 50s, when I was a toddler. When I was growing up in Thurso, I always assumed the castle had been in ruins for many years. Little did I know that was not the case!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post

Since this thread first started, I've been looking for some old 'photos (that I saw on the web) of the Miller Institute, taken in 1863/64. I'm sure they were on the Miller Academy website, but recent checks found that the website had changed, by quite a bit!

The pics I was after are no longer there, but there are swathes and swathes of text describing the history of the building.

http://www.milleracademy-thurso.co.u...on_opening.htm

On that page are these two 'photos though. I find it amazing to see the only building beyond the Institute is the Castlegreen Manse!

I am fascinated by these photos too, Metalattakk! It does seem strange to see a wide open field surrounding the original Miller Academy building! Does the Castlegreen Manse still exist today?

That would be Thurso West Church on Sinclair Street, in the second photo, of course. I am assuming the house in the foreground is on Janet Street, next to the river.

Aye, Castlegreen Manse is still there - Mr Arif the bookie lives in it now, up behind the closing-down pet shop.

The building on Janet Street is still there, along with the wee three-doored building next to it.

Not so sure about the West Church though. The West Church as it is now only has one house and Johnstone's Bakery between it and the Library. It looks too far away in that 'photo.

Having said that, it surely must be the West Church?
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Aye, Castlegreen Manse is still there - Mr Arif the bookie lives in it now, up behind the closing-down pet shop.

The building on Janet Street is still there, along with the wee three-doored building next to it.

Not so sure about the West Church though. The West Church as it is now only has one house and Johnstone's Bakery between it and the Library. It looks too far away in that 'photo.

Having said that, it surely must be the West Church?

Its Mr Barry the dentist who stays in the manse now and yip it is the West Church opened in 1860. These were photographs I got which then went into the Miller book. Again both taken in 1864.

Ah right, thanks for the correction/update.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast