Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

If you have the technology those last 3 pictures can come together to make the one picture. Zoom it as well, good fun fond memories.

Default new items - photos, etc

I would like to say thanks for the new photos posted. It's really lovely to see these old photos and the messages. booragtoon

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Beach Rd Playing Field - early 50s. Putting Green in background.

Scrabster Lighthouse - early 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/y...1.jpg#comments

Cheers MA here's another one for you to fix.
    Tidied it up a bit...hope you don't mind, Gleeber?

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

I'm especially interested in the two aerial photos below. I find it quite fascinating to see how Thurso looked before the "atomic" housing estate was built! It does appear, though, that the beginnings of it are emerging behind Bay View Terrace, in the first photo. There are already houses visible in Thorfinn Terrace. I would say these two photos were taken prior to 1958, as Thurso High School (which opened that year), is nowhere to be seen on the left of the second photo. Also absent are the houses along Heathfield, Brownhill, Sweyn and Castlegreen Roads, and they were certainly there by 1958. Pennyland Drive, etc., was added in the very early 1960s.
    Last edited by Sporran; 12-Jul-09 at 19:45.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

thanx plasticjock ur pic of beach rd playin field brought bak lots of memories i played there all the time as lived 30 seconds away

Quote Originally Posted by feegilmour View Post
    thanx plasticjock ur pic of beach rd playin field brought bak lots of memories i played there all the time as lived 30 seconds away
    Aye...I imagine the height of the steps on the slide would fall foul of the Health & Safety precautions today:

Yikes!!! I had forgotten how high that slide was! I wonder if it's still there?

I used to enjoy playing there too, when I was a bairn.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

no sporran that slide got took away years ago much 2 my disgust when i wiz a bairn got replaced by a blue twisting 1

hey plasticjock luv the pic of the slide can just about c the house i grew up in thank u again

I believe the Mr William Mackay referred to earlier in connection with the rescue of a woman from Scrabster harbour was non other than 'Punch' who was well known to all who frequented the Viewfirth dances. Remember the cry 'Homes to go to'.

There was a lovely huge high slide at the playpark beside the caravan park on Smith Terrace until quite recently. I loved it as a child, but am so scared of heights now it`s hard to believe I even got past the third rung of the ladder. My great nephew loved it too and will be so sad to see it gone on his next trip north.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Aye...I imagine the height of the steps on the slide would fall foul of the Health & Safety precautions today:
    Great to see the photos of the playing fields in Beach Road. I spent most of my childhood days there. The putting green and tennis courts. I remember they had a flagstone table tennis table inside. I remember the chute especially as I fell from the top while trying to slide down one of the supports. Great memories.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Sairheed View Post
    I believe the Mr William Mackay referred to earlier in connection with the rescue of a woman from Scrabster harbour was non other than 'Punch' who was well known to all who frequented the Viewfirth dances. Remember the cry 'Homes to go to'.

Aye Sairheed I remember at well!

Default Thorfinn Terrace 1956-57

This links with Gleeber's aerial 856. These are the back of the houses in Thorfinn Terrace from possibly what is now the garage area which is accessed from Thorkel Road.

Also noticed the prefab bungalows which were built in Granville Crescent have not been built in the aerial photo although there may be one just going up at the top of Clarence Street where George Crescent is now.

Taken on Howburn Road in 1958. Shows how few cars there were when we could go out and sledge on the frozen roads without a gritter coming and spoiling our fun.

Great to see those photos, new driver! That second one brings back a lot of memories. I remember sledging from the top of Pennyland Drive and Rockwell Crescent in the 60's. My Dad had our sledges made by Riddle the joiners next to Tollemache House.

Terrific photo, Gleeber. Interesting to see Ormlie Lodge and Millar Academy, but nothing beyond up Castle Green Hill.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."