Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

The minister is Rev Fergus Andrew and the man behind him is Donnie Macdonald (gog).

Quote Originally Posted by Scunner View Post
    The minister is Rev Fergus Andrew and the man behind him is Donnie Macdonald (gog).

Cheers Scunner,

fond memories of Rev Andrew's and his stories
    Oedipus was the first man to plug the generation gap

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Spotted this one on eBay...taken from high on St Peter's Church...an unusual angle. I think it's around the 1900's.
    There are no buildings as yet on the corner of East Church Street and Princes Street.

Hi plasticjock have seen this pic recently and was wondering what was the shop that became the Post Office? Did not notice that those buildings were not there - thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    Hi plasticjock have seen this pic recently and was wondering what was the shop that became the Post Office? Did not notice that those buildings were not there - thanks for pointing it out.

This is one of five photographs which were taken from the roof of St Peters and St Andrews church, 140 feet up.

This particular view is looking across Sir John Square and the road bridge, the others were taken from the other sides of the church. Though one view was taken twice at slightly different angles.

The shop which was later taken over by the Post Office was A & M Fraser, Baker and Confectioner.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

That's a fabulous photo, plasticjock! Well found! I have seen one taken in the last ten years or so, from the same vantage point. If I ever come across it again, I'll post it here. It would be interesting to compare the two photos.

Thirsaloon, do you have an exact year for the photo?
    Last edited by Sporran; 27-Dec-08 at 18:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    That's a fabulous photo, plasticjock! Well found! I have seen one taken in the last ten years or so, from the same vantage point. If I ever come across it again, I'll post it here. It would be interesting to compare the two photos.

Thirsaloon, do you have an exact year for the photo?
    Don’t have an exact date I’m afraid but its between 1906 and the 22nd September 1922. I did shots from the same position in 2000 and then some more a bit later.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post

Don’t have an exact date I’m afraid but its between 1906 and the 22nd September 1922. I did shots from the same position in 2000 and then some more a bit later.
    Thank you, thirsaloon. Would it be possible to post some of the shots you took, please? It would be interesting to see a "Then and Now" of the same view!

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Spotted this one on eBay...taken from high on St Peter's Church...an unusual angle. I think it's around the 1900's.
    There are no buildings as yet on the corner of East Church Street and Princes Street.
    Think you must mean the corner of Sir John's Square and Traill Street (Princes Street isn't in the picture).

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Think you must mean the corner of Sir John's Square and Traill Street (Princes Street isn't in the picture).
    You think right....humble apologies! 8^(

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    I'd say this photograph was definitely taken before 1922. Thurso Picture House was built in 1922, and, as can be seen from the picture, there is no cinema built when this was snapped.

Incidentally, when did Spring Park 'spring up' ,was it the same time as the Atomics?

Springpark was before the Atomics! Can't remember exact dates but early 1950s.

Question

Wasn't Dounreay either built or became operational about 1955?

Default Whales on Thurso beach

Default Thurso castle

Default Dounreay in it's infancy

Default Gardens

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    This is a lovely view of the gardens, which was later named Sir John's Square gardens. We always called the front of the gardens 'The Fountain' and never questioned this (the fountain was later moved to the back of the gardens when the War Memorial was erected); we were used to hearing it called by that name. You can see the small shops next to the Royal Hotel. One was a shoemakers and the other was 'Jeck Mackay' - J Mackay moved down to beyond Johnston's the bakers. Down from J Mackay, on the corner, was The Empire Tearooms (H Munro had an antique shop there later). I can just remember the shops, when going to and from the school. Shows I am a very 'mature' person (I hope)! Remember that the 'Pieshop' had another shop in High Street (where G Begg is now), next to the Bank (now Council offices).

Unhappy Old Thurso

Hi Thirsloon

Followed the link for Old Thirsa Piccies this morning and am thouroughly enjoying the old photos, unfortunately after the first page am getting no photos only a message saying that photos have been moved or deleted. This is incredibly frustrating as further on there should be some photos of Gunn the Jewellers which was my dad's shop . I would really love to see these and all the others, any ideas??
    Dad died 32 years ago in 1977 and I have lots of fond memories of working with him in the shop on Saturdays and school holidays. I used to do the post office run and fetch Coffee from Danny Craig's (best in Thurso)
    Was wondering if there are any pictures of his first shop on Princes street?
    Thanks, hope you can help
    Angie Mackay

Smile For thursoloon

Just a quick one for you I have 251 of your Old Thurso pics on my computer,if you want I can put them on a disk and shoot it over to you,when are you going to the Rockwell again? Regards Robin
    I can resist anything but temtation