Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    This is the best I have i'm afraid of Sutherlands Cottages which were at the back of McKays the butchers. Having said that its better than nothing at all!

You can see this was when they were being demolished. In the second photograph you will see the top of Tollemache House in the background just to help you get an idea of where they were in case any of you are a bit lost.

Danny Craig had his store for fags in one of these buildings and A T Rolland had a paint store in another one.

Default Danny Craigs

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Danny Craig had his store for fags in one of these buildings and A T Rolland had a paint store in another one.

I think I remember someone telling me that Buttercup, forgot all about that!

Default Mackay the iron mongers

Yes I can still remember the smell of the iron mongers what ever that smell was and you bought nails by the imperial pound. Was it not Sinclair Houston that worked in Mackays.
    Enjoy it now there is no second lap.

Default Houstan/MacKays

Quote Originally Posted by tenabowla View Post
    Yes I can still remember the smell of the iron mongers what ever that smell was and you bought nails by the imperial pound. Was it not Sinclair Houston that worked in Mackays.

Indeed it was! Im sure I have a piccy of it, must post that one to!

The building in the foreground with the blue round the windows was Gunns Jewellers.

Default Gunns

This is the only photograph I have of the shop, taken at the same time as the previous ones.

So if I understand you right the corner where the Road Closed sign sits is now the end of the one-way system round from Market Street onto High Street?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    So if I understand you right the corner where the Road Closed sign sits is now the end of the one-way system round from Market Street onto High Street?
    That's right

The building in the foreground with the blue round the windows was Gunns Jewellers.
    I can remember Gunn's jewellers being there before they moved to the bottom of Olrig street but I thought it was a detached shop that they had on the High Street, I didn't realise that there were cottages attached to the rear of the shop.

You must be thinking of John Noble (he had a moustache) as I don't think Sam Wylie looked anything like Dickie Davis.
    Thanks, Buttercup. John Noble probably looked nothing like him either - funny the things you remember when you are a bairn!

Thurso.. or is it Wales? Not sure, what day of the week is it?

Quote Originally Posted by gollach View Post
    I can remember Gunn's jewellers being there before they moved to the bottom of Olrig street but I thought it was a detached shop that they had on the High Street, I didn't realise that there were cottages attached to the rear of the shop.
    I remember early/mid 80s the detached shop being there aswell. I must admit that until today I never realised that it was originally part of a row of cottages.

Thurso.. or is it Wales? Not sure, what day of the week is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Thanks so much for posting this wonderful photo, Dynamic Sounds! It's great to see a pic of Viewfirth and "Barn" in their former glory! Is there a year written on the back of the photo?
    Sorry Sporran, the picture is glued to a card frame that on closer inspection (I never noticed this before) has "JOHNSTON - WICK AND THURSO wmbossed onto it. I canna mind a Johnston photo shop in Thurso or Wick, so does anyone else have a clue when ths shop closed?

Looking at the pic though, there is no sign of any building work around it for building the estate, so I would put it at the latest the 50s? Any advances?
    Last edited by Dynamic Sounds; 26-Jun-07 at 00:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Sounds View Post
    Sorry Sporran, the picture is glued to a card frame that on closer inspection (I never noticed this before) has "JOHNSTON - WICK AND THURSO wmbossed onto it. I canna mind a Johnston photo shop in Thurso or Wick, so does anyone else have a clue when ths shop closed?
    The Wick shop closed in 1973.

This is Bank Street, behind MacKays the Ironmongers in High Street. On the corner of the right hand building is the sign painted for Jock MacKay's fish shop. There was also the drapers shop which he owned next to it so you could get knickers and kippers in the same street!!!!!

Must correct you, it was Jock Mackenzie's kipper and knicker shops. He's 96 now, my daughter (his great grand-daughter) popped in to see him at the weekend.

Since this thread first started, I've been looking for some old 'photos (that I saw on the web) of the Miller Institute, taken in 1863/64. I'm sure they were on the Miller Academy website, but recent checks found that the website had changed, by quite a bit!

The pics I was after are no longer there, but there are swathes and swathes of text describing the history of the building.

http://www.milleracademy-thurso.co.u...on_opening.htm

On that page are these two 'photos though. I find it amazing to see the only building beyond the Institute is the Castlegreen Manse!

"It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Wow, what a wonderful thread! In spite of modern technology, the most beautiful buildings in the world are those that were built centuries ago, imo.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

This is the best I have i'm afraid of Sutherlands Cottages which were at the back of McKays the butchers. Having said that its better than nothing at all!

You can see this was when they were being demolished. In the second photograph you will see the top of Tollemache House in the background just to help you get an idea of where they were in case any of you are a bit lost.

I do remember those cottages, thirsaloon. When were they demolished, and what is there now?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

This is the only photograph I have of the shop, taken at the same time as the previous ones.

Quote Originally Posted by gollach View Post
    I remember early/mid 80s the detached shop being there aswell. I must admit that until today I never realised that it was originally part of a row of cottages.
    Hmmm....

I seem to remember the detached building also, and Gunn's the jeweller was in it in 1972, possibly before. Could it be that after the cottages were demolished, a new building was built in the exact same location as the shop in the photos above?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Seen these pictures of old Thurso, and in this week that the Viewfirth has been consigned to the quarry in the sky, thought I'd put this pick up

It is a scan of a picture that my grandfather had, but shows the place in its granduer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Thanks so much for posting this wonderful photo, Dynamic Sounds! It's great to see a pic of Viewfirth and "Barn" in their former glory! Is there a year written on the back of the photo?

Looking at the pic though, there is no sign of any building work around it for building the estate, so I would put it at the latest the 50s? Any advances?
    Well, the first part of the "Atomic" housing estate was built in the mid 50s, and that would have included the Sweyn Road houses later built left of the Viewfirth barn, as you're looking at your photo. I was wondering if your pic was taken prior to thirsaloon's 1940 photo of Viewfirth (which he posted on Bobinovich's Viewfirth coming down thread and Rheghead's Cairnie bottle thread). I have a feeling that your photo is from an earlier time.

i enjoy seeing all the old and new pics keep them comming

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast