Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Quote Originally Posted by Scunner View Post
    Is the gentleman 2nd right back row - a Mr Dundas
    Thanks Scunner. I've added the name to the posting but not as confirmed yet.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by booragtoon View Post
    Hi Plasticjock, firstly thanks for the many lovely photos you have put into Caithness.Org.

To answer your question, yes, the man thought to be D K Sutherland was, according to his nephew, Jack Findlater.

You seem to be having a lot of success in naming the Committee.

Good luck.
    Thanks booragtoon, I certainly didn't expect this response when I posted the picture but....it's not me naming the committee, it's you and the other .orgers who are shaking the dust from the old grey cells and sparking memories off.
    Thanks very much for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Thanks hell raizer. I did pick out Davie Oag, Don Gunn and Wm Swanson but it's front right, and back 2nd right that I'm really puzzling over.
    Buttercup, can you confirm the Davie Oag identification, please?
    Appreciate your input.

hi plasticjock, billy angus was a friend of the family and the lady in the other legion picture is billy's wife neen. don gunn was also the janitor of the miller academy i was never out their house when i was a bairn next time i see davie oag i'll ask him if he remembers the photo, maybe he can throw some light on it

Quote Originally Posted by hell raizer View Post
    hi plasticjock, billy angus was a friend of the family and the lady in the other legion picture is billy's wife neen. don gunn was also the janitor of the miller academy i was never out their house when i was a bairn next time i see davie oag i'll ask him if he remembers the photo, maybe he can throw some light on it
    Thanks for the confirmation, hell raizer. I've adjusted the posting.
    Cheers.

the 2nd one in the back row is definately davie oag, he used to stay in digs with the lady next door to our house. davie was my husbands boss for 20yrs. hope that helps a bit

the 2nd one in the back row is definately davie oag, he used to stay in digs with the lady next door to our house. davie was my husbands boss for 20yrs. hope that helps a bit
    Thanks hell raizer, Post 750 has been updated. Cheers.

More pics from Caithness 1925-1926.
    The first one IS Thurso but exactly where is not identified in the book.
    (Now identified as the Old Mill, thanks to the 'orgers)

Looking down High Street towards Town Hall Square.

from Herbert Sinclair's book 'Caithness 1925-1926'
    Last edited by plasticjock; 13-Aug-08 at 13:38. Reason: update

Just catching up ........ Definately Davie Oag ~ he's never changed.
    The first of your 1925/1926 photos is the Mill if I'm not mistaken. Now turned into The Mill Theatre with the Youth Club in the background.

Is the gentleman 2nd right back row - a Mr Dundas
    I thought that it could be Bill Dundas, but need it confirmed.

i agree with you buttercup definately the old mill

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I thought that it could be Bill Dundas, but need it confirmed.
    I couldn't remember his first name, I think he worked/ managed the garage opposite Ashley Ann showroom

i agree with you buttercup definately the old mill
    Another vote for the Mill. Love that photo!

This may be mentioned somewhere else, but these excellent photos are the work of George Washington Wilson (GWW) who was the leading commercial photographer of his day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Wilson). You can still find his original glass lantern slides from time to time on eBay.
    Greetings from Germany,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    More pics from Caithness 1925-1926.
    The first one IS Thurso but exactly where is not identified in the book.

Looking down High Street towards Town Hall Square.

That is Thurso Mill there are another two photographs that I know featuring the same children who are Sinclair Houstan and his sisters.

Sinclair told me when I showed him a selection of Mill and Foundry interior and exterior photographs that he remembers another photograph being taken of one of his sisters wading through the river, but he doesn’t have a copy and I have never seen it.

The arch way had a wooden hatch in the roof for loading grain onto carts below. I could ramble on a bit more about the photo but time is getting the better of me at the moment so have to dash!

Quote Originally Posted by ian.in.germany View Post
    This may be mentioned somewhere else, but these excellent photos are the work of George Washington Wilson (GWW) who was the leading commercial photographer of his day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Wilson). You can still find his original glass lantern slides from time to time on eBay.
    Greetings from Germany,
    Ian

Hi Ian, are you referring to the Herbert Sinclair pictures from the Caithness 1925-1926 book?
    He states that all the pictures in the book were taken by himself and developed in Johnstone's the Photographers of Market Street, Wick's dark room.

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    That is Thurso Mill there are another two photographs that I know featuring the same children who are Sinclair Houstan and his sisters.

Sinclair told me when I showed him a selection of Mill and Foundry interior and exterior photographs that he remembers another photograph being taken of one of his sisters wading through the river, but he doesn’t have a copy and I have never seen it.

The arch way had a wooden hatch in the roof for loading grain onto carts below. I could ramble on a bit more about the photo but time is getting the better of me at the moment so have to dash!

Here is the other Mill picture from the book. Sinclair married Joe Cardosi's daughter Norma, if memory serves.

Last edited by plasticjock; 13-Aug-08 at 13:51.

I couldn't remember his first name, I think he worked/ managed the garage opposite Ashley Ann showroom
    Thanks for your help. Post 750 has now been updated. Eight identified, three to go.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Here is the other Mill picture from the book. Sinclair married Joe Cardosi's daughter Norma, if memory serves.

Thats right, Sinclair has been a great source of information to me and has an amazing memory, its never a problem for him and he always passes on any information he can to me.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Is the photo looking down High Street towards Town Hall Square taken from the Shore Street end of town, or the Rotterdam side?

Does the water still run alongside the Old Mill today, or is it a footpath that exists there now?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!