Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 38 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Re: The legion committee .
    Many of these faces are familiar but, try as I might, I just can't put names to more than a couple of them. Surely someone must know them.

buttercup i can put names to a few of them, davie oag, donald gunn, billy angus, jack findlater, william swanson, were not sure about first one on back row it could be andrew bryson. maybe someone else knows who the rest are

Thanks hell raizer. I did pick out Davie Oag, Don Gunn and Wm Swanson but it's front right, and back 2nd right that I'm really puzzling over.

hi buttercup, hubby couldn't place them either and he's usually pretty hot when it comes to photo's from that time. maybe there not locals

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Thurso Beach 1925. Unusual, but lovely picture, taken from the watter.

Thurso Bridge, same year.

from Herbert Sinclair's book 'Caithness 1925-1926'

Coloured postcard circa 1900.

Hi Buttercup

Some more names:

Front row: ? Darmady; DK Sutherland; Mr Murray (Manager Royal Bank Scotland); Wm Swanson and ?

Back row: far right possibly
    Donald Dyer

Thumbs up 1925 Thurso Fishwife (on her own)+ Fishwives

Have been told that the fishwife on her own was Bella Leed.

The fishwives group - as far as remembered - first left Aggie Reid, ?, Ella Reid (Sinclair), Ellen Reid, ?.

It's great having these pictures.

Thumbs up British Legion Committee

Hope that I can add some names - Back row - 1st left Andrew Bryson, 2nd David Oag, 3rd D. Gunn, 4th ?, 5th ?, 6th ?

Front row - 1st left ?, 2nd left ?, 3rd left Mr Murray, Banker, 4th left Wm Swanson, 5th ?, 6th ?

So what we've got so far is, l to r:
    Back Row: 1) *Andrew Bryson (entertainments), 2) *David Oag, 3) *Donnie Gunn, 4) ??[possibly a Mr Leslie], 5) *William (Bill) Dundas, 6) *William (Billy) Angus.

Front Row: 1) ? Darmady, 2) *Jack Findlater, 3) ? Murray, 4) *William (Flappie) Swanson, 5) *Colin Thompson (treasurer)

*=confirmed
    Last edited by plasticjock; 13-Aug-08 at 13:47. Reason: addition of queries, awaiting further confirmations

hi plasticjock, im sure no 6 is billy, no 2 looks like jack findlater hubby thought it was him to but having looked again i'm not sure. whoever it is he looks very like jack

Quote Originally Posted by hell raizer View Post
    hi plasticjock, im sure no 6 is billy, no 2 looks like jack findlater hubby thought it was him to but having looked again i'm not sure. whoever it is he looks very like jack
    Thanks for that info, hell raizer.
    I seem to have a feeling that No.4 might be a Rosie, but it's only a feeling.
    Of interest, both Andrew Bryson and Donnie Gunn were wounded and evacuated from Normandy in July 1944. Andrew (serving with the 6th Airborne) was injured by shrapnel in the knee at Ranville and Donnie (serving with the Royal Ulster Rifles) lost a foot at Cambes-en-Plaine.
    Donnie was the caretaker at Thurso High School when I was a pupil there and a very nice man he was, always cheerful.

Hello Plasticjock, hope to add another name to the lists you have for the Committee. I have been told by the nephew of Jack Findlater that it is Jack in the front row, 2nd left. Good luck.

The man in the front row furthest right (next to W. Swanson) is my father Colin Thompson. He was manager of Lindsays Ironmongers from 1963 to about 1971 & served as Legion treasurer for a number of years. He died in November 1993, aged 80.
    Best wishes from Germany,
    Ian Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by booragtoon View Post
    Hello Plasticjock, hope to add another name to the lists you have for the Committee. I have been told by the nephew of Jack Findlater that it is Jack in the front row, 2nd left. Good luck.
    Hi booragton, thanks for the update. Just to clarify, before I update, are you saying that Jack Findlater is where we've got D K Sutherland?
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by ian.in.germany View Post
    The man in the front row furthest right (next to W. Swanson) is my father Colin Thompson. He was manager of Lindsays Ironmongers from 1963 to about 1971 & served as Legion treasurer for a number of years. He died in November 1993, aged 80.
    Best wishes from Germany,
    Ian Thompson
    Thanks Ian, much appreciated.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

I recognised Willian "Flappy" Swanson right away, and also remembered his nickname at the same time!

I do not think that the man at the far right, back row (number 6) is Donald Dyer. He was taller and thinner, with darker hair. The man standing next to him looks familiar. Could he be a Mr Leslie? The bearded gent also looks familiar, but I can't put a name to him, I'm afraid.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Is the gentleman 2nd right back row - a Mr Dundas

Hi Plasticjock, firstly thanks for the many lovely photos you have put into Caithness.Org.

To answer your question, yes, the man thought to be D K Sutherland was, according to his nephew, Jack Findlater.

You seem to be having a lot of success in naming the Committee.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    I recognised Willian "Flappy" Swanson right away, and also remembered his nickname at the same time!

I do not think that the man at the far right, back row (number 6) is Donald Dyer. He was taller and thinner, with darker hair. The man standing next to him looks familiar. Could he be a Mr Leslie? The bearded gent also looks familiar, but I can't put a name to him, I'm afraid.
    It's still open. I thought it may have been him (Donald Dyer) because of 1) The size and angle of the eyebrows, 2) The lugs and 3) the receding hairline. The nose and mouth are difficult because of the angle of the pics and he is smiling in one and not the other.
    The same man appears in the Legion Opening picture, in the doorway just behind the lady with spectacles, who may be the wife.