Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    Any chance of an enlargement of the young chappie wi the basket outside Cairnies plasticjock? Sounds daft but he looks awful familiar and I am wondering if he is a distant relative.
    Unfortunately, the picture I re-posted is the size you saw on my posting, unless someone has a larger scan of the original?. As I enlarge the picture it becomes quite 'blocky'.
    I have 'enhanced' the picture and the section you requested using Jpeg Image Enhancer v1.0 and this was the best I could get.

First...the posted picture, enhanced and enlarged:

And then a cropped enlargement of the delivery boy:

Thanks for tryin pj - is spookily familiar tho - must do some investigating!

Thumbs down tony

there is not even one pic i can get up each one says its been moved
    someone at work seems to have a problem too tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tighsonas4 View Post
    there is not even one pic i can get up each one says its been moved
    someone at work seems to have a problem too tony
    (A copy of the post I made on page 35): Bill's post #645 on page 33 of this thread should help explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Here is a picture from the late Henrietta Munro's wonderful book, 'Pictures of Old Thurso and District' (out-of-print, but it's well worth getting hold of a copy), and it shows the bottom end of Olrig Street with the junction of Rotterdam Street at roughly the same period as the picture I posted which would appear to have been taken from the upper right-hand window of Shearer's.
    What is noticeable in this picture is that there is another white line across the street from Cardosi's corner.
    I'm even more intrigued.
    Any ideas....anyone?
    Hello everyone, my first visit here since a wee while. Glad to see the thread is still going strong! In answer to your question the white line is flagstone paving, I have other photographs where you can see it more clearly.

There was one further up Traill Street as well. I presume it helped folk keep their feet clean (plus the bottem of womens long skirts) when the streets were not tarred like today.

Thanks for the tip on 'Pictures of Old Thurso and District' . managing to get a copy from Amazon. Please keep adding new photos

nice to see you back thirsaloon, looking forward to seeing some more pictures

Glad your back thirsaloon ~ we're all eagerly awaiting more of your pics and info.

Default Thurso pics

Welcome back Thirsaloon, you have been missed

You are such a valued member of this community.

Trinkie

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Delighted to see you're back, Thirsaloon, and like Oliver, I'm asking for more!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    Hello everyone, my first visit here since a wee while. Glad to see the thread is still going strong! In answer to your question the white line is flagstone paving, I have other photographs where you can see it more clearly.

There was one further up Traill Street as well. I presume it helped folk keep their feet clean (plus the bottem of womens long skirts) when the streets were not tarred like today.
    Thanks for that thirsaloon. Clears the mystery up nicely.

Thurso 'fishwifies' 1925.

Thurso fishwife 1925.

George Bernard Shaw coming out of the Post Office. Thurso 1925.

1910 Election Meeting, Town Hall Square. (from eBay)

Dividing the Catch. (A slightly different one from that previously posted on the forum, but featuring mostly the same locals).

Last edited by plasticjock; 03-Aug-08 at 19:59. Reason: typo

The Lodge, Thurso Castle 1925.

Cutting peat, Thurso 1925.

Default Thurso pics

More wonderful pictures ! Many thanks, they are fantastic.

Trinkie

Some nice "new" pictures there plasticjock ~ you've taking over from thirsaloon! Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Thanks....I wish there were more picture posters, though.

Here is the other two pictures I have of the 'Dividing the Catch' sequence.

Last edited by plasticjock; 03-Aug-08 at 19:59. Reason: typo

(believed to be) Thurso Royal British Legion Club Commitee 1966

(believed to be) Thurso Royal British Legion Club Official Opening 1967

Thumbs up Plasticjock photos

Thank you plasticjock for the interesting photos. Brought back memories of standing in the Town Hall square waiting for the results. We were allowed to stay up late that night! There always was an air of excitement.

Also remember seeing the fishermen dividing some of the fish which they had caught and held back for themselves. One man would stand with his back to the others and another man would point to the various heaps of fish on the quay and the man with his back turned would say a name.

I just remember the women selling the fish - at that time they used to stand at the top of Meadow Lane (beside the well). They had to wait until their men came in with the catch and then go out and sell it. It must have been a very hard life.
    Last edited by booragtoon; 05-Aug-08 at 14:07. Reason: had to delete the word 'one' in front of 'a name'

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    (believed to be) Thurso Royal British Legion Club Commitee 1966

That is the Legion meeting as you mentioned in the Town Hall, im not sure about the other one in your post. I have somewhere the plans for the building of the legion. Forgot about them until I seen this post.