Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 33 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie View Post
    Yes Glove Factory (Templemans) was there where Viking Bowl is now. Probably building demolished and Viking Bowl was rebuilt. Glove Factory originally started in Drill Hall in Sinclair Street, Thurso
    Building wasn't demolished, just added to.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Plasticjock, are your photos of Thurso beach and the one looking down Sir George's Street both from the 1966 Thurso guide?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Plasticjock, are your photos of Thurso beach and the one looking down Sir George's Street both from the 1966 Thurso guide?
    Hi Sporran, yes they are.
    Here is the final picture from the brochure:

late 50s early 60s.anyone know who the girls are.

Default Missing Photos Pages 21 - 27 On this Thread

Thirsaloon told me today he has had an accident with the photos for this thread accidentally deleting them from his Photobucket acount where they are drawn from.

A while ago when I noticed this thread expanding rapidly I thought it would be an idea to save the section in case of such an accident or other mishap. I saved all the pages up to page 21 but have not been back to make similar saving. However it means that I have all the photos from pages 1 to 21 of this thread and have begun creating galleries on Caithness.org and repalcing the file name to draw them back in from Caithness.org rather than from Photobucket. See http://www.caithness.org/earlypictur...ery=18&start=0

It will take me while but I will gradually replace all the photos missing up to page 21.

If anyone else saved the pages from 22 to 27 I could also add these in or if Thirsaloon wants to email me the missing photos for those page I can add them later.

See Page one - I have not got the second photo and it must have been missing for another reason when I did my big saving exercise.

Phew

Bill Fernie
    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 06-Jan-08 at 21:53.

Default missing second photo

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie View Post
    Thirsaloon told me today he has had an accident with the photos for this thread accidentally deleting them from his Photobucket acount where they are drawn from.

A while ago when I noticed this thread expanding rapidly I thought it would be an idea to save the section in case of such an accident or other mishap. I saved all the pages up to page 21 but have not been back to make similar saving. However it means that I have all the photos from pages 1 to 21 of this thread and have begun creating galleries on Caithness.org and repalcing the file name to draw them back in from Caithness.org rather than from Photobucket. See http://www.caithness.org/earlypictures/photogallery/index.php?gallery=18&start=0

It will take me while but I will gradually replace all the photos missing up to page 21.

If anyone else saved the pages from 22 to 27 I could also add these in or if Thirsaloon wants to email me the missing photos for those page I can add them later.

See Page one - I have not got the second photo and it must have been missing for another reason when I did my big saving exercise.

Phew

Bill Fernie
    I have the second photo copied but am not sure how to send it on to you, if you still need it. Regards.

Default Second photo page 1

Quote Originally Posted by booragtooner View Post
    I have the second photo copied but am not sure how to send it on to you, if you still need it. Regards.
    Just email it to bill@caithness.org - thanks

Here's a few I've just found, that I don't think have been posted before Thirsaloons pics vanished.
    Thurso Castle 1934

Thurso 1934

Great old ariel views there Casey, Thurso looks strangely small from up there.

Wow, those aerial views are fabulous, Casey! It's fascinating to see how Thurso looked in 1934, pre Glebe and Dounreay housing! Also lovely to see Thurso Castle in its former glory. Thanks for sharing!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Where've you got to Thirsaloon? We're beginning to suffer withdrawal symptoms!
    Surely someone's got some old pics they can post.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Here's a few I've just found, that I don't think have been posted before Thirsaloons pics vanished.
    Thurso Castle 1934

Thurso 1934
    I was wondering if the buildings lying at an angle to the top of east and west Church Street are the start of Bayview Terrace or are they something else?
    He has a profound respect for old age. Especially when it's bottled.
    Gene Fowler

Salvation Army women & childrens outing from the Thurso Citadel, possibly late 20's. One of the charabancs has a Station Hotel board on it. My great-granny, Betty Munro is in the front row, far right. The destination unknown but was perhaps Wick.
    Last edited by plasticjock; 19-Mar-08 at 15:32.

2nd Thurso Swifts from 1912, I think. Joe Cardosi (manager? coach?) (middle left).

I also have a 1914 picture which will be posted soon.
    Last edited by plasticjock; 19-Mar-08 at 04:10.

Default Photos

Thank you for the pictures.
    I must say the Salvation Army Outing is one of the nicest photos I have seen !
    How smart they all look with their beautiful hats !
    Do you have names for all of the people ? I may be wrong, but I dont think that's the Wick Citadel.... to me it's more like the Thurso one, down by the shore.
    Perhaps Wick folk up to Thurso for the Day on a Station Hotel charabanc ?

Many thanks
    Trinkie

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Thank you for the pictures.
    I must say the Salvation Army Outing is one of the nicest photos I have seen !
    How smart they all look with their beautiful hats !
    Do you have names for all of the people ? I may be wrong, but I dont think that's the Wick Citadel.... to me it's more like the Thurso one, down by the shore.
    Perhaps Wick folk up to Thurso for the Day on a Station Hotel charabanc ?

Many thanks
    Trinkie
    Well Trinkie, unfortunately I have no names for any of the people except my great-granny who lived in Durness Street in Thurso, and yes, it is the Thurso Citadel. I will alter the information on my original posting to make this clearer. Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by plasticjock; 19-Mar-08 at 15:30.

Default Great photos!

More great photos Plasticjock - looking at the S/A one and wondering who looks like who in the present day - the lady in the middle front holding the wee boys hand could be a Sinclair as in Don Sinclair Shoe shop's family - she certainly has a look of them.

Looking forward to seeing more.

LB

Quote Originally Posted by Lavenderblue2 View Post

More great photos Plasticjock - looking at the S/A one and wondering who looks like who in the present day - the lady in the middle front holding the wee boys hand could be a Sinclair as in Don Sinclair Shoe shop's family - she certainly has a look of them.

Looking forward to seeing more.

LB
    I agree with you, Lavenderblue2! And I wonder if the wee boy is Don Sinclair senior?

Thanks so much for adding more super photos to this thread, Plasticjock! You always manage to come up with some real gems!

Thanks for the comments....I'm sure there are some genealogists looking in who may be able to identify faces and let us know. PM me if anyone would like a larger scanned picture.

Meanwhile here the other Swifts picture and no doubt most of those pictured ended up in the Navy or the trenches only a short time later. Joe Cardosi is sitting centre in the top pic and far right in the lower pic.

I have some more Thurso pictures in the pipeline.
    Last edited by plasticjock; 19-Mar-08 at 18:33.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Salvation Army women & childrens outing from the Thurso Citadel, possibly late 20's. One of the charabancs has a Station Hotel board on it. My great-granny, Betty Munro is in the front row, far right. The destination unknown but was perhaps Wick.
    The bloke sitting on top of the coach with the bairn on his knee looks awful like John Sinclair (the late Provost and Lord Lieutenant)