Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Scrabster Harbour.

Last edited by plasticjock; 17-Dec-07 at 21:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Thank you so much for that super batch of photos and local adverts, plasticjock! I thoroughly enjoyed looking at them all!

Got a few more left to post..................

Last edited by plasticjock; 18-Dec-07 at 11:58.

Thank you so much for that super batch of photos and local adverts, plasticjock! I thoroughly enjoyed looking at them all!

Can you or anyone else jog my memory and tell me whereabouts K Sutherland was on Princes Street? (Post number 592 advert).
    You probably knew it as Tommy Allan's, Sporran. At one time it was where part of the Pentland Hotel is now, but latterly is was across the road next to Black's (later Ferrier's)

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Ah yes, I remember where Tommy Allan's was, Buttercup! When they moved across the street next to Black's, was it where the furniture shop was? (Mackenzie's, I think.)
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Crowd gathers to watch bus pass through Traill Street.

"Guidnesss! Weel the treffik nivver ennnd?"

Kiosk closed temporarily due to lack of local gossip.

Last edited by plasticjock; 18-Dec-07 at 15:16.

Default Puzzies Wedding

Puzzies Wedding in Thurso, he got married on the 31st August 1951. Im sure some of you will remember him and the event.

Default Peggy Soo

Another face that some of you will remember. Peggy Soo at the Top Co-Op in Princes Street.

i remember peggy soo, ive got a picture of her somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by hell raizer View Post
    i remember peggy soo, ive got a picture of her somewhere

She died long before my time. Im sure I have a date for when she passed away.

Would like to see your of her picture hell raizer!

Ah yes, I remember where Tommy Allan's was, Buttercup! When they moved across the street next to Black's, was it where the furniture shop was? (Mackenzie's, I think.)
    Black's, which became Ferrier's, was between Tommy Allan's and MacKenzie's furniture shop.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Got a few more left to post..................

Strange how that map shows Mount Pleasant School but John Kennedy Drive is not there. I'm sure they were both built about the same time. And note that the Boating Pond has become a Bathing Pond!
    Last edited by Buttercup; 18-Dec-07 at 16:54.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Crowd gathers to watch bus pass through Traill Street.

"Guidnesss! Weel the treffik nivver ennnd?"

Kiosk closed temporarily due to lack of local gossip.

My God! What a splendid photograph of the Bandstand. How pretty it looks. Did you know it was taken down as a "town improvement"?

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    She died long before my time. Im sure I have a date for when she passed away.

Would like to see your of her picture hell raizer!
    ive got a few old pictures but dont know how to download them

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    My God! What a splendid photograph of the Bandstand. How pretty it looks. Did you know it was taken down as a "town improvement"?
    Aye, but it wasn't quite as splendid when they decided to take it away. In the end its removal did indeed improve the town.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post

That is indeed a splendid photo of the Bandstand, and it's just as I remember it!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post

Aye, but it wasn't quite as splendid when they decided to take it away. In the end its removal did indeed improve the town.
    I seem to recollect it was taken down around 1975 or 76, but don't remember it being in a state of disrepair at the time. I was sad to see it go!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup

Strange how that map shows Mount Pleasant School but John Kennedy Drive is not there. I'm sure they were both built about the same time.
    I was thinking the exact same thing, Buttercup! Mount Pleasant School was built around the mid 60's. Certainly after Pennyland School was built in 1962, but before 1967. The American housing in John Kennedy Drive was built somewhere in the early to mid 60s.

I was thinking the exact same thing, Buttercup! Mount Pleasant School was built around the mid 60's. Certainly after Pennyland School was built in 1962, but before 1967. The American housing in John Kennedy Drive was built somewhere in the early to mid 60s.
    Mount Pleasant opened with the new school year in the summer of 1966.

Mansons grocery shop, what memories.........Loose tea, sugar and salt weighed and put into brown paper bags........ Carrier bags made of brown paper with string handles.....Huntley and Palmers biscuits in glass topped tins where you picked your own selection..........Butter in a churn made into pats with paddles by Mr Manson........Cheese in a hugh truckle cut with proper wire cheese cutters as required and a taste before buying if desired........Bacon sliced as required, likewise cold meat, their gammon with breadcrumb dressing was a particular favourite.........I can almost smell it.........Thanks for the memory.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Mount Pleasant opened with the new school year in the summer of 1966.
    Well the properties of the hosted image say that the image name is 'ThursoMap1961.jpg'.

So it seems someone is wrong. Hell, maybe everyone is wrong!!
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."