Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    Definitely my favourite thread! By the way when is the museum re-opening?
    Latter part of next year, great progress has been made already in the gutting out and work on the roof, plus loads of paperwork going on behind the scenes so so far so good!

See for more info as it goes along:

http://caithnesshorizons.co.uk/

Last edited by thirsaloon; 24-Sep-07 at 22:16.

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    Thurso Harbour 1950

The Fish Stane

The nearest boats in the harbour are the Crest WK87 She was skippered by John Sinclair from Shore St She was destroyed by fire in Dec 1951 and inside her is the Pentland Firth WK224 she was at one time skippered by Wm Sinclair and was sold to Portgordon in Feb 1959
    The Primula is lying behind them

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
    The nearest boats in the harbour are the Crest WK87 She was skippered by John Sinclair from Shore St She was destroyed by fire in Dec 1951 and inside her is the Pentland Firth WK224 she was at one time skippered by Wm Sinclair and was sold to Portgordon in Feb 1959
    The Primula is lying behind them

Jeepers well done Peter!

Im only good at boats if I can see the registration. I would never be able to tell them apart otherwise! I know who some of the folk were and on what boats but im no expert!

Thanks again for your info!

Thirsa loon my pleasure best threads on the ORG these
    You have some grand pictures Thanks for sharing
    PM

Cheers for that Peter, glad you enjoy it!

The photos took a long time and a lot of work to gather (plus a lot of space to store!) but im glad folks have enjoyed this thread. May call on your eagle eyes next time im stuck with boats!!!

Thirsaloon, may I make a request? Do you have any snow pics from 50s and 60s? Have asked on the org before but it was before you joined in. Doesn't matter if you don't as I am enjoying what is coming up here. Only worry is that as the pics get more up to date I may appear in one!!!

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

When I was growing up in Thurso in the 60s and 70s, I remember "Ye Auld Fish Stane" as being right outside the front of the town hall. When was it moved inside the museum, Thirsaloon?
    Last edited by Sporran; 27-Sep-07 at 00:28.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    Thirsaloon, may I make a request? Do you have any snow pics from 50s and 60s? Have asked on the org before but it was before you joined in. Doesn't matter if you don't as I am enjoying what is coming up here. Only worry is that as the pics get more up to date I may appear in one!!!

Only have one piccy that comes to mind to be honest wifie!

Try and dig it out if I mind!

Default More piccys from Thirsaloon

Thurso Industrial Co-Operative Society LTD 1911
    Last edited by thirsaloon; 26-Sep-07 at 20:04.

Post 345 the council in 1926 - anybody have any names?

Cool Cousins

Thurso's 1st motorised Scaffy Cart.

Crew of the Primula along with others

Thanks thursaloon for this pic,the boy on the right who is half in was my cousin Donnie Latimer,I have a copy of this but your's is much better,so hope you dont mind if I copy it to my comp; your doing a great job with this thread,no wonder everyone raves about it,keep up the great work,till my next visit Regards Robin Sinclair
    I can resist anything but temtation

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Wow it's weird seeing Mt. Pleasant Road that narrow and with all that vegetation

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Another great photo of Thurso! Thanks plasticjock!

Do you or thirsaloon have any idea what year it was taken?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Wow it's weird seeing Mt. Pleasant Road that narrow and with all that vegetation

I think thats the road which goes up to the farm of Charlie Angus, the side road at the bottom goes into the carpark of the Park Hotel. Picture was taken late 1940's early 50's I would say at a quick glance!

I think thats the road which goes up to the farm of Charlie Angus, the side road at the bottom goes into the carpark of the Park Hotel. Picture was taken late 1940's early 50's I would say at a quick glance!
    I don't think that it's the road up to Charlie's. You can see the old slaughter house building and the gas works further up river on the other side. I think it's more likely to be Mt Pleasant Road, especially with the Dammies football pitch in the centre of the picture - are you thinking that the pitch in the photo is the one at Millbank?

Think you are right golach - must be before my time as I never remember that view being so empty.

Default Old Thirsa Piccys

At first glance i also thought it was the road going up past the Park Hotel, but after looking more closely it is deff the bottom of Mount Pleasant Road, this picture looks it was taken before Queens Terrace was built, I know that Park Avenue was bulit around 1954-1955 as my parents were one of the first familys to move into that street.

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Another great photo of Thurso! Thanks plasticjock!

Do you or thirsaloon have any idea what year it was taken?
    Yes, sorry......I forgot to mention that the postcard was issued in 1958 though not posted till 1965.

Default Old Thirsa Piccys

Can anyone tell me what is the old chimney stack was on, its to the right of the old gasworks?