Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Default Burnside Cottages

Regarding the photo I had put on of the Burnside cottages that used to be there I have added a couple more from a different angle of the other cottages plus a map from 1844 to clear up where they were. They were spaced further along from the Bishops Castle to the left of it on top of the cliff. These were built prior to the one which was situated at the base of the cliff. They were demolished long before living memory as far as I’m aware. The gable end of the cottage in the below photographs can be faintly seen in the distance in the previous photograph I put up.

The first photograph of the cottages you will notice the Bishops Bridge on the right of the picture which spanned the burn. To the left of the bridge you will see a couple of people standing on it. The second photograph shows the ruins of the bridge. The ruins of the Bishops Castle are in the background to the right of the photographs.

I did have a photograph of the cottage at the base of the cliff which you mentioned but unfortunately my pc went belly up and although I had it saved on a cd I can’t get it open now! Dont suppose anyone else has any photographs of this cottage or can tell me what it was like inside? There was a well at the back of this cottage which some of you may remember.

Last edited by thirsaloon; 20-Sep-07 at 13:51.

Default Map of Burnside Cottages

Map from 1844 below as mentioned in my previous post.

Thurso from the Air great photo can pick out my old house no problem and it has hardly changed

All the Photos are brilliant well done Thursaloon great job
    Its nice to be nice

Captain Kettles Picnic Party. Below is fancy dress from Thurso Gala in 1910. The gentleman in the back row to the extreme right wearing the large hat is Anderson who had the Ironmongers shop.

Default Traill Street

Photograph of Traill Street around 1910 with John Keiths the Drapers shop in the background and Lindsays to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    That was my first thought too because i remember one cottage down there. I dont think you would see Thurso castle from down there though. I'll find out at the weekend.
    According to Thirsaloon they are where the rocket shed is.
    There was also a fever hospital down there just along a wee bit from your friends cottage.
    When we we loons, the cottages in question had been levelled but the founds were still there and the old gardens had flowers that weren't wild flowers. The last tennants I remember in the lower cottage were a familly called Newlands.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    Map from 1844 below as mentioned in my previous post.

I have never heard of the Old Chapel in this map. Do you have any further information about it?

Default Old Chapel

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    I have never heard of the Old Chapel in this map. Do you have any further information about it?

Hi Gleber2

The reference to “Old Chapel” on the map is Murray’s Mausoleum. The rectangular roofless building which is on the Victoria Walk. It was built around the mid 1700’s on top of an older chapel which was once there. Its mentioned on other maps also.
    Last edited by thirsaloon; 20-Sep-07 at 16:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne x View Post
    Thurso from the Air great photo can pick out my old house no problem and it has hardly changed

All the Photos are brilliant well done Thursaloon great job

Thank you Anne, glad your enjoying them!!!

Have some more to put up in the next few days so keep watching!

The reference to “Old Chapel” on the map is Murray’s Mausoleum. The rectangular roofless building which is on the Victoria Walk. It was built around the mid 1700’s on top of an older chapel which was once there.
    Cheers for that. I had many childhood fantasies arround that building. I had no idea it had beeen built on top of a much older building.

Default Old Thirsa Piccys

Here is some interesting facts about the "old chapel"
    http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfi...dmausaleum.htm

Default Scrabster

Scabster Harbour around 1910

And Scrabster House also around 1910 note the lack of trees unlike today

Default Scrabster Piccys

Scrabster from the lighthouse 1918

Default Two more Thirsa Piccys!

Davidsons House

Shore Street around 1900

Default Shore Street

so thirsaloon when were the Council houses at far end of Shore st built at the bottom end before you go down the brae ?
    Last edited by Anne x; 21-Sep-07 at 15:59.
    Its nice to be nice

Doing missionary work in Northern England

This thread gets better and better, although I noticed that the 'Weekers' are are making a belated but half-hearted attempt at catching up. Perhaps they don't look upon old Wick with nostalgic affection?

The picture below was found on the web and is merely identified as 'Seaforth Highlanders Pipe Band march through Thurso'. I'm unable to identify the location. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    This thread gets better and better, although I noticed that the 'Weekers' are are making a belated but half-hearted attempt at catching up. Perhaps they don't look upon old Wick with nostalgic affection?

The picture below was found on the web and is merely identified as 'Seaforth Highlanders Pipe Band march through Thurso'. I'm unable to identify the location. Any ideas?

Hi plasticjock!

Long live the Thirsa Piccys thread, even Thirsaloon had to help the weekers out on their thread hehehehe! I wonder which thread has had the most amount of views on the Org. I think if we keep this up we may be getting close!

As far as I know the photograph is actually Castletown. I have seen a few postcards/photographs etc from Halkirk/Castletown marked as Thurso for the sake of it being a few miles away!

I do know of another photograph similar to the one you posted but the men are all lined up and it is taken in Castletown.

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Hi plasticjock!

Long live the Thirsa Piccys thread, even Thirsaloon had to help the weekers out on their thread hehehehe! I wonder which thread has had the most amount of views on the Org. I think if we keep this up we may be getting close!

If you go to the Forums/General page and click on Views (r/hand side) it will sort the hits in descending order. This thread is top of the list with over 19,000 visits. Wick photos comes in at just under 6000.
    WE are way ahead.

Thanks for the info re: Seaforths. I'm disappointed it's not Thurso but happy that there has been a (fairly) positive i.d.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Here is some interesting facts about the "old chapel"
    http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfi...dmausaleum.htm
    Interesting yes, facts I'm afraid not. The calculations for the number of Murrays buried there are seriousl flawed. Pennyland didn't come into the hands of the Murray family till 1559, there was no Murray of Clairdon till 1568, no Murray of Scotscalder till 1663, no Murray of Castlehill till the 1770s. They weren't four separate families, they were all the same family all descended from William Murray who took Pennyland in 1559.

Default Recent Thurso Photos

Hi Thirsaloon,

Just thought I'd post these two photos. There are some more available on photobucket (macdawnauld album).

I haven't tried to link photos onto a message board before so I hope this works.

Macdawnauld