Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Victoria Walk c.1900

Lotts Skerray

This is a painting of Thurso called Home With the Tide.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments and photos. It takes me back! I lived in the Transit Camp until I was nearly 3 and then moved to a new house in Market Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbychic View Post
    Victoria Walk c.1900

Great photo. The path looks wider then it is today, or is it my imagination?
    Can't think when I last saw someone brave enough to walk along the vic carrying an umbrella

Smile

Lotts Skerray

[/quote]
    My Mum used live here in the 70`s till The 90`s a lovely place I wish all the best to the people that live there now

found this post card on the web, not sure if it has been posted before but here go's

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Shore Street, circa 1910 I believe, although it may even be earlier.
    The gas lamp, central left is still there.

Last edited by plasticjock; 10-Sep-07 at 14:59.

Default Shore Street photograph

Hmm, seems like my family are turning up again. The photo is taken around 1910. The kids standing at the front door are my great uncles. On close inspection one of them has a stick in his hand. This is because he was wading across the river once and cut his foot on broken glass. He was always left with a limp after that. They are all the children of Alex MacKay, harbour master, that I mentioned in a previous post.

You will also see a door just past the turnpike. This was a store room where my great grandfather kept all his fishing equipment, like nets, sku, floats etc.Walking up the street is a fisherwoman with the baskets which were used for selling fish from.

Just after the entrance which leads to Marine Terrace, was the Harbour Bar. Across from the Turnpike in the short road which leads to Wilsons Lane was Dan Murrays Lemonade Factory that I also mentioned. Im sure I put a staff photograph up sometime back.

That will do me for now or I may start rambling on again!

Last edited by thirsaloon; 11-Sep-07 at 20:53.

Default Thirsaloon's ramblings

You can ramble on as much as you like Thirsaloon - I never tire of reading these stories.
    How great to be able to pick out your relations after all these years.

Mind you, I have one or two which I could put on the Wick Piccies - maybe I will.

LB

I agree with you Lavenderblue I can't get enough of this thread either!I think Thirsaloon needs his own website x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Default Thurso Pictures

I have really enjoyed seeing all these old pictures and being able to put some of my family history into a setting.
    I struggled in placing some of the older ones but got them eventually, and some from the sixties and seventies have brought back memories.

Could I be a bit cheeky and ask if anyone has any old pictures of the area of Shore Street where the car park is now as this is the area where my Father was born (No 1) and my grandparents and great-grandparents lived.

There seem to be an abundance of Shore Street pictures showing the old Tollbooth (which is understandable) but I have not seen anything of the other end of the street so far.

I would also like to say Thank You to all the contributors to the thread, I have enjoyed it immensely and hope that there is more to come.

Dusty.
    He has a profound respect for old age. Especially when it's bottled.
    Gene Fowler

Default Reply to Dusty!

I think I have some Dusty, I will take a look and see what I have, but I dont think they are of any great age. Around the 1950's.

Glad you enjoyed the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I agree with you Lavenderblue I can't get enough of this thread either!I think Thirsaloon needs his own website x
    Thanks for that Thumper and Lavenderblue. Glad you like the thread, I did think about having my own website especially with the way this thread has grabbed an interest.

I could do a bit more with my own one and post some info etc it but alas its most likely beyond my pc skills and I wouldnt have a clue how to start! Although I do have an idea of what I would like to have on it. Never mind, maybe some day!
    Last edited by thirsaloon; 12-Sep-07 at 19:24.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

I love your old photos and stories about them too, Thirsaloon, and could never tire of them! I also appreciate the photo and story contributions from other posters on this thread.

Do you have the results of last week's photo spotting competition, BTW?

Best Wishes,

Sporran
    Last edited by Sporran; 12-Sep-07 at 20:44.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

toordal Guest

Pity the old shelter sheds are fenced off now. We used to have a great time playing "headers" in those sheds, using the two metal support poles as posts for the goals.....

toordal Guest

I meant to say the shelter sheds in the Pennyland school photo from 2002. I'm new to this game...

Default Thank You Thirsaloon

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    I think I have some Dusty, I will take a look and see what I have, but I dont think they are of any great age. Around the 1950's.

Glad you enjoyed the thread.
    Thirsaloon, thank you for your reply, I am looking forward to seeing what you have of that area as I have only ever known it as it is now.
    It will be interesting to see it as it was 40 or 50 years ago.

Dusty
    He has a profound respect for old age. Especially when it's bottled.
    Gene Fowler

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    I love your old photos and stories about them too, Thirsaloon, and could never tire of them! I also appreciate the photo and story contributions from other posters on this thread.

Do you have the results of last week's photo spotting competition, BTW?

Best Wishes,

Sporran
    Well done Sporran, I would have forgotten about the answers and thanks for the compliment!

The answers are as follows!

One of two coats of arms on the Town Hall

The old top Co-Op in Princess Street

Thurso Mill

Gate Lodge or Porters Lodge at Thurso East

Miller Institution now Thurso Library

Shearers the Butchers, now the beauty shop on the corner of Sir John Square.