Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    Plasticjock

I can date the photograph on your postcard to between 1906 and around 1912 if thats any help to you.
    Thanks Thirsaloon. I won't argue with that.
    My eyesight isn't what it used to be. I couldn't quite make out the registration on the back of the carriage making its way towards the bridge. ;^)

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Thanks so much, plasticjock, that's a wonderful old postcard of Thurso!

I'm curious if the house atop the hill on the left is Viewfirth or the Castlegreen Manse ?

From studying an ordnance survey map pre-1900, it has to be Castlegreen Manse, I'd say.

Im not going to show myself up as think I only know 3 will wait and see good Idea though
    Its nice to be nice

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

1 - Coat of arms above window in Thurso Town Hall
    2 - Old Co-op building on corner across from the top end of Sir John's Square
    3 - Old St Peter's Kirk near Thurso Harbour
    4 - Lodge gate entrance to Thurso Castle
    5 - Miller Institute
    6 - Building that used to be Shearer the Butchers (now 'Beauty With Herbs'?) on the bottom corner of Sir John's Square
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Smile Big Thanks

Thanks again for a great hour browsing through this posting,never get tired of looking a the old town.even remember the old boy with the boot,saw him when I was a wee fella.used to flick the stones with his cane,close my eyes and can see him still,great memories thanks to you,keep up the great job,you bring pleasure to so many,bet you never thought you would get such a responce. Look forward to more Regards from down under Robin
    I can resist anything but temtation

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post

From studying an ordnance survey map pre-1900, it has to be Castlegreen Manse, I'd say.

Its the Viewfirth, Castlegreen Manse is further along and has a different shape and style being built earlier.

Glad to see some answers for the quiz, well done, will let you know at the start of next week what the answers are. If I forget someone message me!

Dont worry Thirsaloon we will keep this thread way up at the top so you can't forget....and maybe post some more pics for us x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

I have added a link to this great thread on the Thurso page in the Caithness A - Z at http://www.caithness.org/atoz/thurso/index.htm

hopefully a few more folk will find it in the future via that link.

Bill Fernie

Default Thirsa Piccys

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie View Post
    I have added a link to this great thread on the Thurso page in the Caithness A - Z at http://www.caithness.org/atoz/thurso/index.htm

hopefully a few more folk will find it in the future via that link.

Bill Fernie

Thanks for that Bill, much appreciated!

If I get time I may get some more piccys ready soon for putting up.

Thumbs up

Its the Viewfirth, Castlegreen Manse is further along and has a different shape and style being built earlier.
    :

Once again, thirsaloon, I bow to your superior knowledge. Cheers.

Can I just mention a link, once again for those who love these old Thurso pictures, that there are quite a few on the 'Thurso Picture House' website. Look in the 'Thurso Topicals' from 1 to 7 and 'Thurso Bandstand'?
    http://pic1.piczo.com/thursopictureh...0&p=start&cr=1
    Last edited by plasticjock; 07-Sep-07 at 14:22.

Default rich

Marwood Sutherland?
    I remember a gentleman with a built up shoe who lived in Barrack St. in the '50s.
    We kids called him Crippy Dick.
    We used to ring his doorbell and then run away.
    What little rats we were!
    Richard Sutherland

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Marwood Sutherland?
    I remember a gentleman with a built up shoe who lived in Barrack St. in the '50s.
    We kids called him Crippy Dick.
    We used to ring his doorbell and then run away.
    What little rats we were!
    You've not changed much then Rich?

Around the early part of the twentieth century, I would say. I've cleaned it up a bit and put the original along with it as I know people like to see original condition pictures.

'Digging for bait, Thurso'
    Last edited by plasticjock; 08-Sep-07 at 20:08.

Good work on the clean up PJ!

Default Digging for Bait photo

Hi Plasticjock

Your latest photograph I can also add a wee bit of information to. My Great Grandfather is in it, he is the one with the shovel to the left of the photograph digging for lug worms that they used in the line fishing. His name was Alexander MacKay and he stayed in the Turnpike in Shore Street. He was one of five pilots who worked for the harbour where he was promoted to Harbour Master.

He was the last of them in the end, working for a number of years on his own at the harbour as the rest had died or retired. This job involved weighing the coal boats etc, switching on the gas lights around the harbour at night, maintance work etc. He was paid £3:10:0 every 4 months of the year for his wages.

He was also the last Thurso harbour master to direct the schooners etc into the harbour. He kept a small boat with the letter "P" painted on the side of it to show this was the Pilot boat. It was called the Ocean Bride and after he died the Harbour committee bought it from his wife for the sum of £10. He served with the harbour for 37 years until through ill health he was forced to retire.

He was also on the Thurso lifeboat for around 20 years and was 2nd Coxswain. To the right of the photograph is a woman also digging for bait, this is his wife Elizabeth and the two girls are his daughters. One of his sons was also called Alexander but you will all know him better as "Acka" who had the fish mart at the harbour, now owned by his grandson.

Acka was on the last sailing ship which was owned in Thurso. It was called the Thursonian. He worked on it as a cook serving salt fish and salt beef etc. She was berthed further up the river for a few years until she was bought by an Orkney man. She was eventually wrecked.

The well dressed gent I have never been able to get a name for.Thats the best I can do of the top of my head with this photo.
    Last edited by thirsaloon; 07-Sep-07 at 17:27.

Hi Plasticjock

Your latest photograph I can also add a wee bit of information to. My Great Grandfather is in it........
    Brilliant stuff!

Here is another version of the same picture......I must have too much time on my hands....!!!

I find a colourised picture can make the view 'come to life' so to speak. I have done it for some of my own family photographs and it does make the picture stand out....but obviously that is my subjective viewpoint, others may see it as sacrilege.
    Last edited by plasticjock; 08-Sep-07 at 23:50.

That is so good plasticjock - what a difference the colourisation makes.
    It would make a lovely framed picture - especially with the local interest.

Well done PJ

LB

I have a few old postcards of Thurso. I'll add them bit by bit. This is 2 views of Traill Street in different eras.

This is a couple of views of Thurso, the b&w one is circa 1957.

Thurso Harbour circa 1900

Scrabster Pier.