Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Thank you for the photo of Gair's Temperance Hotel Plasticjock and to you for your info Sporran - I will go to the library and take a look at Falconer Waters book - I've been meaning to do that ever since the book was highlighted on this forum a wee while ago.

I really feel with all this interest in Thurso's past that it would be such a fitting tribute to Falconer of this book was re-released - what does anybody else feel about that?

LB

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post

Just a further titbit of info re: Temperance Hotel from the Highland Archive
    'Among those officers who had taken part in the annual camp manoeuvres of April 1912, was a certain Donald Manson, Captain with the 5th Seaforth Highlanders, a seasoned territorial soldier with 11 years experience. Born at Whitefield Farm, Murkle, in November 1867, Donald was the tenth child of George and Janet Manson. In 1883 the family moved to a house at 30 Princes Street, Thurso, not far from the Temperance Hotel owned by Donald Gair. Mr Gair had a bonnie daughter, Margaret, who caught the eye of young Donald Manson. The couple married in 1900 and settled down in Thurso to raise a family – they were to have six sons – and enjoy whatever social dividends accrued from Donald’s position as a manager at the Castletown Pavement Works.'
    Thanks for that interesting info, plasticjock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavenderblue2 View Post

Thank you for the photo of Gair's Temperance Hotel Plasticjock and to you for your info Sporran - I will go to the library and take a look at Falconer Waters book - I've been meaning to do that ever since the book was highlighted on this forum a wee while ago.

I really feel with all this interest in Thurso's past that it would be such a fitting tribute to Falconer of this book was re-released - what does anybody else feel about that?

LB
    Also look for Donald Grant's "Caithness Notebook No.4 - Old Thurso" , first published in 1966, Lavenderblue2. It's a soft cover book about the same size as the Falconer Waters one, just a wee bit thicker. I would like to see them both re-released. They are fascinating books, and I have treasured my copies for years!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Hello Sporran

I do own Donald Grant's "Caithness Notebook No.4 - Old Thurso" but I agree with you that both these books would do well if they were released again. Even though I still haven't seen Falconer Waters book I would love to own one.

I must see what I can find to help keep this thread near the top - has anybody else got any pics to share?

LB

Here's a pic of Pennyland Primary School taken in 1978, still looking as it did when it first opened in 1962. I was so proud back then to be starting Primary 3 in that brand new, modern school!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Great Pic Sporran - both of my children went to Pennyland School although I think they are just slightly older than you - now my two grandchildren are there...

Tempus fugit!

LB

Default Thisa Pics

These are really good pics Thirsaloon, would you be able to burn pics onto a disc if I give you one? Would be willing to pay for your valuable time. Have been wanting to start collecting pictures of Thurso for a long time

Regs

Stivagorm

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post

Here's a pic of Pennyland Primary School taken in 1978, still looking as it did when it first opened in 1962. I was so proud back then to be starting Primary 3 in that brand new, modern school!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavenderblue2 View Post

Great Pic Sporran - both of my children went to Pennyland School although I think they are just slightly older than you - now my two grandchildren are there...

Tempus fugit!

LB
    Yes, time flies alright, Lavenderblue2! I don't know what the rules are now, but when I was a pupil at Pennyland, the boys and girls had separate playgrounds. The boys' side was the one you see in my photo above, and the girls' was on the other side, as in Bill Fernie's fabulous photo from 2002, below. The school looks even more resplendent with its new roof and additional colours! Can anyone tell me when those renovations were done?

When I was a pupil at Pennyland in the 60s, the wooden building in the playground did not exist, and I see the old concrete rain shelter next to it is now fenced off.

Here's the link to the rest of Bill's Pennyland School photo gallery:
    http://www.caithness.org/community/e...thumbs.htm?0?0

Last edited by Sporran; 19-Jul-07 at 17:55.

Doing missionary work in Northern England

My word, it's gone quiet on this thread!
    Here's another pic from around the turn of the last century of Local quarrymen. I noticed the chappie on the back right is holding a wee child up.
    There must still be more pics out there, surely?

Plasticjock, do you know the location of the quarry that the men worked at? Are any of your ancestors in the photo?

You're right, it *has* gone awfully quiet on this thread!! I hope thirsaloon and others will be posting more photos in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Plasticjock, do you know the location of the quarry that the men worked at? Are any of your ancestors in the photo?

You're right, it *has* gone awfully quiet on this thread!! I hope thirsaloon and others will be posting more photos in the near future!
    Well, it's believed to be the quarry at Murkle.
    The chappie in the centre of the second row from the front is my great-grandad Andrew Munro.
    On various documents his occupations are described as 'stonemason','flag-dresser', 'quarryman labourer', 'carter' , 'roadman', 'general labourer', 'scavenger' (scaffieman - my italics).
    No doubt they reflect the general labour situation as quarrying declined from its peak years in the mid to late nineteenth century.
    We guess the picture was probably taken around 1900, give or take 3 or 4 years, as he looks to be in his late twenties or early thirties.

Last edited by plasticjock; 14-Aug-07 at 19:25.

Okay....I give in.

Thurso from Springpark. No date for picture (it looks pre-WW1 to me) but postcard was franked '1926'.

Plasticjock, nice postcard and well done for bringing this thread back into the foreground!it has been way too quiet on this thread for too long so hopefully this will get the ball rolling again as I have missed all the pics!Thirsaloon, if you are reading this please post some more pics too as we are all missing them x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Thanks so much, plasticjock, that's a wonderful old postcard of Thurso!

I'm curious if the house atop the hill on the left is Viewfirth or the Castlegreen Manse ?

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Thurso from Springpark. No date for picture (it looks pre-WW1 to me) but postcard was franked '1926'.

Plasticjock

I can date the photograph on your postcard to between 1906 and around 1912 if thats any help to you.

Default Thirsa Photo Quiz part 1

Hi folks!

Nice to see this thread making a bit of a comeback! Sorry for not putting anything up in long time. Thought I would put some photographs up for you try and name where they are. There are 6 photographs in total and I will put the answers up in a few days.

Last edited by thirsaloon; 04-Sep-07 at 20:19.

Default Thirsa Photo Quiz part 2

Default Thirsa Photo Quiz part 3

Forgot to mention that those wanting to take part just to put your answers down as

1- your answer
    2- your answer
    3- your answer

Instead of reposting the piccys all the time and taking up space. All the buildings shown are still standing. Best of luck folks!

Last edited by thirsaloon; 04-Sep-07 at 20:20.

1) Town coat of arms at the town hall.
    2) Old co-op
    3) Entrance to Thurso castle via the gate lodge.
    4) Old St Peters
    5) Miller institute
    6) Johnstone the bakers.

Half I know for sure the other half are educated guesses

1)town hall
    2)coop but think it may be where redcross is now?
    3)old church at harbour-is it st peters?
    4)thurso castle lodge
    5)miller institute
    6)masonic lodge?
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x