Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post

Attached is a photograph of Lindsays which im sure many of you remember. This photograph was taken in 1910. The building was newly built replacing the much older single story building. If I remember I will take a look for the older shop and post it.

I do indeed remember Lindsay's the Ironmonger, thirsaloon! It looked very much the same as in the photo, in the 60s and 70s. The doors and outside trimmings were painted fire engine red. I used to love the smell inside the ironmongers, and the shop had old wooden floorboards. The part of the shop on the right of the photo was where they sold fine china dishes and giftware. They stocked Royal Doulton, Wedgwood, etc. Next to that was the Ship's Wheel antique shop, which is now Le Bistro, I believe. Next to the main part of Lindsay's, on the left, was Shearer's drapery and haberdashery, now Mackay's.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Before and after shot of the corner of Olrig and Rotterdam Street. This should bring a few memories back. Remember let me know if you have any storys and memories relating to the piccys. Would be much appreciated.

My Dad used to take my in to that barber's for a haircut and then I used to get a banana or apple from Nobles afterwards. I was only wee but I remember that there was a man in either the barber shop or the greengrocer's that reminded me of Dickie Davies from World of Sport. Can anyone tell me which shop he worked in?

Notice in this picture that the old one-way traffic system was still in place on Rotterdam Street and the pedestrian precent had not been built when the photo was taken.

Below a painting of Robert Dick, the famous botanist and geologist who described himself as nothing but a humble baker. Robert was born in Tullibody in 1811. During his schooling he was regarded as a top level student having an inexhaustible thirst for knowledge. He learned Latin so quickly that his master recommended that he should be sent to college.

However this never came to pass and Robert served his trade as a baker starting at 3am and finishing sometime between 7 and 9 pm. He received no wages other than his bed and meals. Robert travelled to Thurso in 1830 and set up his bakery.

However the extremely modest and quiet baker was to achieve his unwanted fame through his knowledge of the natural world. He built up huge collections of insects, shells, geological and botanical specimens, considered to be the best in the country. Robert was to suffer when his order of flour along which contained some books and a microscope to help protect them from being knocked or damaged was lost when the boat carrying them sank. Eventually with no supplies to bake his business suffered. After being bedridden for two weeks he died penniless on Christmas Eve 1866 aged 56.

I remember seeing a bust of Robert Dick in Thurso Museum, when it was next to the old library in the Town Hall building. But I have never seen this painting of him before. What a handsome man he was! And what a striking resemblance to present day actor Joaquin Phoenix! I sincerely hope that Robert Dick's house still exists, and that it has not been demolished. If I remember correctly, it was either on Wilson Street or Grove Lane. Do you know where his bakery was located, thirsaloon?

The last few years of Robert Dick's life were indeed sad, as related in an account by Jack Saxon.

http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfi...collection.htm
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Do you know where his bakery was located, thirsaloon?
    Sporran, I think that his bakery was the little single storey building attached to the side of his house at the bottom of Wilson Street.

I think you are right Sporran, its actually the opposite corner of where Dunnets garage used to be (became a furniture store, next to the meadow well), This building was at one time called the Stardust and it was local bookies the last time i was in town.

Edit.. oops I am on the wrong page, I should have quoted, I was referring to you question about the Swift Cycles photo.
    Last edited by Jeemag_USA; 25-Jun-07 at 19:33.

Quote Originally Posted by honey View Post
    i cant seem to see any of these pics except the one of the veiwfirth...

Not sure why you cant see the photo's, try getting in touch with the clever people who run the site or the message bit and ask them. I would imagine it may be something small with your pc. Hope you get it sorted and see them soon!

Default Robert Dick's house

Quote Originally Posted by gollach View Post
    Sporran, I think that his bakery was the little single storey building attached to the side of his house at the bottom of Wilson Street.

The house has changed slighty over the years, but I think the bakery was located at the rear of his house. I will check my notes and see if I have any info for you.

thanks for that, its strange im seeing some and noth others.. then again, i am at work and shouldnt be looking at ANY, so cant complain to much

Thanks for that info, gollach, Jeemag_USA and thirsaloon. It's been a number of years since I've been to Thurso, and I didn't know that Dunnet's Garage is now a furniture store. I remember when the Stardust Lounge was was Tiffany's Boutique in the latter half of the 60s, and into the 70s. It was rather upscale, and catered to women of all ages. I bought my wedding dress there in 1976, and I believe the shop was still open in 1978, when I left Thurso. During the late 60s, they even stocked some Mary Quant (of Carnaby Street fame!) fashions, as well as some of her cosmetics.

I think the Victoria Hairdressing Saloon, in thirsaloon's 1911 photo, is where MacKenzie the newsagent's was, between Tiffany's Boutique and the Royal Hotel.
    Last edited by Sporran; 25-Jun-07 at 19:59.

Default In reply to Sporran

Is that first photo on the corner of Meadow Lane and Traill Street, where the Newmarket Bar is now? Or is it where Cardosi's Cafe (Top Joe's) was on the corner of Traill Street and Olrig Street, thirsaloon?

The first photograph is at the corner of Meadow Lane and Traill Street as you guessed!

Thanks for that info, gollach and Jeemag_USA. It's been a number of years since I've been to Thurso, and I didn't know that Dunnet's Garage is now a furniture store. I remember when the Stardust Lounge was was Tiffany's Boutique in the latter half of the 60s, and into the 70s. It was rather upscale, and catered to women of all ages. I bought my wedding dress there in 1976, and I believe the shop was still open in 1978, when I left Thurso. During the late 60s, they even stocked some Mary Quant (of Carnaby Street fame!) fashions, as well as some of her cosmetics.

I think the Victoria Hairdressing Saloon, in thirsaloon's 1911 photo, is where MacKenzie the newsagent's was, between Tiffany's Boutique and the Royal Hotel.

Not that im trying to show off sporran but here you go!!!

Default Sutherlands Cottages

This is the best I have i'm afraid of Sutherlands Cottages which were at the back of McKays the butchers. Having said that its better than nothing at all!

You can see this was when they were being demolished. In the second photograph you will see the top of Tollemache House in the background just to help you get an idea of where they were in case any of you are a bit lost.

Oh what a clever chiel you are, thirsaloon!!! Great to see a pic of Tiffany's!

As you can no doubt tell, I am thoroughly enjoying this thread of yours!
    Last edited by Sporran; 25-Jun-07 at 20:10.

Default Robert Dick bust

I remember seeing a bust of Robert Dick in Thurso Museum, when it was next to the old library in the Town Hall building. But I have never seen this painting of him before. What a handsome man he was! And what a striking resemblance to present day actor Joaquin Phoenix! I sincerely hope that Robert Dick's house still exists, and that it has not been demolished. If I remember correctly, it was either on Wilson Street or Grove Lane. Do you know where his bakery was located, thirsaloon?

The last few years of Robert Dick's life were indeed sad, as related in an account by Jack Saxon.

http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfi...collection.htm
    The bust is still in the museum collection. Its actually a death mask taken from a mould which was made from Robert after his death. I did measure it and managed to work out his height but I forget now. He was under 6ft, I think around 5ft 8" or so. This is a piccy I did of it last year. Im not trying to show off again sporran but here you go again!!!

Last edited by thirsaloon; 25-Jun-07 at 20:28.

Since we been speaking about the corner of Rotterdam Street/ Olrig Street this is the oldest piccy I have of it. Again like the others it was taken in 1864, you can see there is a bit of a change at what we know as the "Central corner". Whats in this photo was demolished and rebuilt to what we all know. I forget the mans name now that built it but again I have it in my notes. You will notice the shop which was later to become Nobles in the middle of the pic. The photo was taken from Traill Street looking down to Rotterdam Street with the junction of Olrig Street running to the left of the piccy.

The piccy below was taken in December 1976, you can see the bank in Olrig Street in the background.

Default More Piccys!

Below is High Street around the late 1940's/ early 1950's taken from Rotterdam Street. To the left of the photo is the Y.M.C.A. which is now the site of Semi-chem. Templetons, then Presto's before! Peterkins the chemist is in the distance, now the CO-OP chemist.The Town Hall is away of down near the bottom.

Below is Dunnets garage and staff in Mansons Lane with Traill Street in the background. If you to the left of the photograph you will see the two peaked roofs, now look back at the photo of the Free Church I put on the page to do with the Old Thurso Bottle. What your seeing below is the back of the Free Church before it was later demolished to make way for the car park at the back of the T.S.B. This photo was taken in the 1920's, it was in two sections but I manged to stitch them together.

Last edited by thirsaloon; 25-Jun-07 at 20:55.

Wink Churchill and it aint the insurance firm!!

Piccy of Winston Churchill with Marigold and Archibald Sinclair. Archie was an influential member of Churchills war cabient.

This is Bank Street, behind MacKays the Ironmongers in High Street. On the corner of the right hand building is the sign painted for Jock MacKay's fish shop. There was also the drapers shop which he owned next to it so you could get knickers and kippers in the same street!!!!!

Below is a staff photograph of Dan Murray's Lemonade Factory which was just of Shore Street (turnpike in the background). The piccy has Willie Doull, Barbara Doull, Lena MacKay, Dodie McPhee, Dan is at the front with the glasses and cap.

Last edited by thirsaloon; 25-Jun-07 at 20:53.

Quote Originally Posted by gollach View Post
    My Dad used to take my in to that barber's for a haircut and then I used to get a banana or apple from Nobles afterwards. I was only wee but I remember that there was a man in either the barber shop or the greengrocer's that reminded me of Dickie Davies from World of Sport. Can anyone tell me which shop he worked in?
    You must be thinking of John Noble (he had a moustache) as I don't think Sam Wylie looked anything like Dickie Davis.

Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast