Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 48 of 57 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    Nice picture plasticjock, great to see it.
    Thanks thirsaloon.
    Here's an unusual curio.

That is a painting called On The Spot plasticjock, I forget the artists name at the moment but it was painted between 1810 and 1830. I do have a colour version of this I photographed from the orginal.

That is a painting called On The Spot plasticjock, I forget the artists name at the moment but it was painted between 1810 and 1830. I do have a colour version of this I photographed from the orginal.
    Mine came from a scan off a postcard I bought. I figured the drawing was pre-1860 as there is no lighthouse present.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Mine came from a scan off a postcard I bought. I figured the drawing was pre-1860 as there is no lighthouse present.
    Thanks for the info.
    No probs plasticjock, im sure the artists name is something like Alscot I will take a look and see if I can find out for you.

Coronation march, Traill Street May 12 1937:

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Amazing to see cows grazing down by the Mall and Thurso Bridge (in post 939), and I love the pastoral painting of Thurso, Scrabster and Holborn Head!

I'm also surprised to see that Hepworth's was in business as far back as 1937!!
    Last edited by Sporran; 28-Mar-10 at 02:22.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Thurso Harbour circa1900

Default Thurso Heritage Society

Just to let those who are interested that the Thurso Heritage Society now has a website with some more photographs and videos on it.

http://www.thursoheritage.com/

The photo section is a bit eye twizzling and it's a shame there are no dates or narratives - some interesting pics tho!

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    The photo section is a bit eye twizzling and it's a shame there are no dates or narratives - some interesting pics tho!
    Thanks for that wifie, there will be discriptions of the photographs and dates being added soon. Its the 1st attempt at a website so there is certainly room for improvement here and there!

The photos on that site are totally spoiled by the "Not for reproduction" watermark - it's not as though they're high enough quality for anything else so it seems a shame to ruin them by having that through them all

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    The photos on that site are totally spoiled by the "Not for reproduction" watermark - it's not as though they're high enough quality for anything else so it seems a shame to ruin them by having that through them all

Valid point Bobinovich

Barrock Street from lower right to upper left, with Rose Street running parallel. c1900-1905

I thought that too!

Thanks for that wifie, there will be discriptions of the photographs and dates being added soon. Its the 1st attempt at a website so there is certainly room for improvement here and there!

Cool look forward to the progress of the work in progress then!

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

What a fantastic photo, plasticjock! Presumably taken from the spire of St Peter's church (now St Peter's and St Andrew's), across from Sir John's Square?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Have to agree with you there Bob, found it really annoying when your trying to recognise faces . Look forward to info being added to them. But very interesting website ~ have bookmarked it and will keep droping in. Well done Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Have to agree with you there Bob, found it really annoying when your trying to recognise faces . Look forward to info being added to them. But very interesting website ~ have bookmarked it and will keep droping in. Well done Alan.
    Thanks for your comments Buttercup!

Its all trial and error at the moment with the website but we will get there and there is a few new pages going to be added in the near future. Also thanks to everyone who has looked at the site. Our hits have gone up by 1,500% so far.

Remember please take a little time to drop us an email of support regarding Old St. Peters church. It's really appreciated!

Smile Thirsaloon - Thurso Heritage Society

It was lovely seeing these old photos. Thanks for sharing.

Old St Peter's Church is a very important place in the history of Thurso. It should be looked after.

When we were young it was open and we went into it and looked at the different gravestones. I don't remember there being any damage carried out then. Of course when you are young you don't realise that it is a very important place - and still is. Hope that you receive many replies regarding this.

Quote Originally Posted by booragtoon View Post
    It was lovely seeing these old photos. Thanks for sharing.

Old St Peter's Church is a very important place in the history of Thurso. It should be looked after.

When we were young it was open and we went into it and looked at the different gravestones. I don't remember there being any damage carried out then. Of course when you are young you don't realise that it is a very important place - and still is. Hope that you receive many replies regarding this.
    Thanks for that booragtoon.........a good Thurso name as well

Visit the site to give us your support

http://www.thursoheritage.com/