Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for that, I can remember when I was wee and going shopping with my mum, Andersons was still there, it is now Buttress's I believe if that is still there, its been a while since I was in town.

Thurso.. or is it Wales? Not sure, what day of the week is it?

Seen these pictures of old Thurso, and in this week that the Viewfirth has been consigned to the quarry in the sky, thought I'd put this pick up

It is a scan of a picture that my grandfather had, but shows the place in its granduer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    Thanks for that, I can remember when I was wee and going shopping with my mum, Andersons was still there, it is now Buttress's I believe if that is still there, its been a while since I was in town.
    i could be wrong but isn't that the chemists next to the central ?
    beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!

Default Andersons

Quote Originally Posted by dunderheed View Post
    i could be wrong but isn't that the chemists next to the central ?

Yip it sure is Sutherlands Chemist next to the Central Hotel.

yeh it was the mention of it being built as a masonic hall that sealed it for me, plus the facia hasn't changed much
    beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!

Quote Originally Posted by dunderheed View Post
    yeh it was the mention of it being built as a masonic hall that sealed it for me, plus the facia hasn't changed much
    Good call, my memory is too bad, I seem to remember Andersons being further down the street. What was Buttress's before that then, I seem to remember it being an Ironmongers?

Also is that picture of Lindsays did it become Nappy Sinclairs, it kind of looks like it with its multiple doorways? Either that or is it what became Soutars, the one at the top of the precint across from Cardosi's?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    Good call, my memory is too bad, I seem to remember Andersons being further down the street. What was Buttress's before that then, I seem to remember it being an Ironmongers?

Also is that picture of Lindsays did it become Nappy Sinclairs, it kind of looks like it with its multiple doorways? Either that or is it what became Soutars, the one at the top of the precint across from Cardosi's?

Hi Jeemag!

Aye, it became Soutars but was recently bought over, but forgot what name it goes under. Far to recent a change for me!

The ironmongers you mean was MacKays.
    Last edited by thirsaloon; 24-Jun-07 at 17:39.

Default More piccys

Thurso Harbour with a three masted schooner berthed, around 1910. And Scrabster Harbour around 1880. If you look at the second building n the foreground of the Scrabster photo you will see the large doors of what was the original lifeboat shed. Opposite is the slip where the horse drawn trailor was pulled down with the lifeboat attached.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Sounds View Post

Seen these pictures of old Thurso, and in this week that the Viewfirth has been consigned to the quarry in the sky, thought I'd put this pick up

It is a scan of a picture that my grandfather had, but shows the place in its granduer.
    Thanks so much for posting this wonderful photo, Dynamic Sounds! It's great to see a pic of Viewfirth and "Barn" in their former glory! Is there a year written on the back of the photo?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post

Another two piccys from 1911. Attached are photographs of W & G Dunnet cycle shop (where Mac Mowat served his apprenticeship) later to become Dunnets Garage and just along the road a wee bit was the Victoria Hairdressing Saloon. If you look in the foreground of the photo in front of the group of people at the cycle shop you will see some of the Thurso fish baskets that was used by fisherwomen to sell the latest catch from.

Is that first photo on the corner of Meadow Lane and Traill Street, where the Newmarket Bar is now? Or is it where Cardosi's Cafe (Top Joe's) was on the corner of Traill Street and Olrig Street, thirsaloon?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post

Attached is a photograph of Lindsays which im sure many of you remember. This photograph was taken in 1910. The building was newly built replacing the much older single story building. If I remember I will take a look for the older shop and post it.

I do indeed remember Lindsay's the Ironmonger, thirsaloon! It looked very much the same as in the photo, in the 60s and 70s. The doors and outside trimmings were painted fire engine red. I used to love the smell inside the ironmongers, and the shop had old wooden floorboards. The part of the shop on the right of the photo was where they sold fine china dishes and giftware. They stocked Royal Doulton, Wedgwood, etc. Next to that was the Ship's Wheel antique shop, which is now Le Bistro, I believe. Next to the main part of Lindsay's, on the left, was Shearer's drapery and haberdashery, now Mackay's.

Default Mackay the iron mongers

Yes I can still remember the smell of the iron mongers what ever that smell was and you bought nails by the imperial pound. Was it not Sinclair Houston that worked in Mackays.
    Enjoy it now there is no second lap.

Default Thisa Pics

These are really good pics Thirsaloon, would you be able to burn pics onto a disc if I give you one? Would be willing to pay for your valuable time. Have been wanting to start collecting pictures of Thurso for a long time

Regs

Stivagorm

I have added a link to this great thread on the Thurso page in the Caithness A - Z at http://www.caithness.org/atoz/thurso/index.htm

hopefully a few more folk will find it in the future via that link.

Bill Fernie

Default Rich

I have come a bit late to the auld piccies thread but I saw a query r from Rheghead re the County Stores.

The County Stores was always in Princes St. It was opened and operated by my mother and as the wife of a doctor and mother of three I dont know how she found the time but she did.

The County Stores was a commercialy shrewd venture. It opened more or less simultaneously with the construction of Dounreay so vast quantities of welly boots and donkey jackets were sold!

The County Stores also sold fishing tackle. This part of the business was directed by Sandy MacDonald who had a fishing store in Trail St. just across from the Miller Academy (west side) I believe my mother entered a partnership with Sandy and I have the impression that he actually ran the County Stores for a year or so before retiring.

I dont know if anyone in Thurso remembers Nellie MacKenzie (Miss Mackenzie to our family!)who worked with Sandy and accompanied him to the County Stores, which she seved in for, I imagine ,at least 30 years. She must have been in her 90s when she passed on.

She was a great friend of Dan Murray's.

The Queen Mother used to purchase fishing flies from the County Stores. Several times I was in the store when she arrived with an entourage of ladies in waiting and other courtiers. (I used to hide in the back room and leave the transactions to Nellie MacKanzie)

Eventually my parents retired and Michael Reid took over - for the life of me I cannot remember what he was selling (Bicycles????).

It was an interesting time and as a family we were never without cut rate Wellie boots.
    Richard Sutherland

These are brilliant. I love looking at old photos. Fascinating,

Amazing all collation.I like it so much.

Where have all the piccy`s gone ?