Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1121

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Hi canadagirl, pm thirsaloon i am sure he would like a copy.....S.V.7.

2. Default

Photograph of my Grandfathers Lorry at a Thurso Gala (Not sure what year)

Photograph given to my Grandfather (Again not sure what year taken)

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Good Grief!!! What has happened to this once thriving thread? Where are all the previous posters? Where are all those who said they had images but no scanners (in spite of offers to help from others)?

I've asked Bill to unlock this thread as I had some images to post, but have to query if it'll be worth it just to satisfy a few trolls who'll download the images and disappear again.

Please put your images on, I would love to see what you have, I check this out everyday to see if there are any new photo's.
    Thanks in advance.

I'm like you plasticjock. This used to be my first stop on the org I really enjoyed seeing everyones photos and I still pop-in in the vague hope of some new ones. Alas, it seems to be abandoned by all the old original posters, don't know where they've gone! But do post your pics as I for one would love a look at them.

Goe

That goes for me to jock.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsannie View Post
    Please put your images on, I would love to see what you have, I check this out everyday to see if there are any new photo's.
    Thanks in advance.
    Would nearer castletown be allowed?

This is a photograph of a painting which seems to be the same viewpoint as used by "North Light" for a photo from Stonegun Quarry.
    The painting was presented to my parents when they moved from Wick Central & West Church to Dundee in 1967.
    It's by James Leishman, who was head of art at Wick High School.
    What is probably an urban myth is that it was displayed at an art exhibition in Thurso and was viewed by the late Queen Mother who commented that it was a typical Caithness gate, i.e. it was a bit rougher than than shown in North Light's photo.
    JimBews
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stonegunn-small.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	14509  

To start with, some pictures from my late Grannie's albums

Louis Gray jr & Andrew Bryson, Durness Street c 1930
    Louis Gray sr served with the Lovat Scouts (Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders) and died of his wounds in September 1918 on the eve of the end of the Great War. He is buried in the Commonwealth Cemetary at Brie in France.
    His son, Louis Gray jr, served in the Seaforths during WW2.

MacAdie's lorry at Scrabster Harbour. Andrew Bryson 2nd from left. Other i.d's welcome. c1952

Two unknown Salvationists, Thurso. i.d's welcome. c1930

And yes JimBews, Castletown, Halkirk and areas surrounding Thurso Parish would be welcome, certainly from me.
    Last edited by plasticjock; 13-Jul-12 at 12:00. Reason: Clarification regarding Louis Gray.

Love to see more of Old Thurso and Halkirk as well. Such a shame there has been no activity for such a long time. Of course the remedy lies in our own hands.... get busy and start posting again everyone.

I do like this painting it has a nice blue watery light.
    I remember Mr Leishman, I think there were two brothers who taught at Wick High.

Trinkie

Well, things died down quickly, once again. 8'^(

Couple of more treasures from my grannie's box of piccies that are of unknown person and place.

Taken on an unknown farm in or around Thurso.

This one, which I cleaned up because it was stained and scuffed, had no other identifying info is of a young lad wearing the uniform of the 1st Sutherland Highland Rifle Volunteers but appears to be wearing a Seaforths cap-badge.

Apart from general research, I have no other information available.

In 1881, the battalion was incorporated into the 5th Seaforth Highlanders, a Territorial Army unit based in Fort George. However it retained its distinctive name, tartan and cap badge, and its association with Sutherland. It fought in the Boer War along with the 2nd Seaforths and between 1908 and 1914 was known as the 5th (Sutherland and Caithness) Battalion of the Seaforth Highlanders.

In 1914, the 1/5th (Sutherland and Caithness) Battalion was mobilised and moved to France in May 1915 as part of the 51st Highland Division, where it fought in some of the fiercest battles of the 1914-18 war after which it was disbanded.
    Highland Volunteer Regiments were first raised during the Napoleonic War between Britain and France. They were disbanded at the end of that war in 1815. However the threat of French invasion in the late 1850s led to the re-formation of many volunteer forces.
    The Sutherland Highland Rifle Volunteers was raised in 1859, and in 1864 it became the 1st (administrative) battalion, Sutherland Rifle Volunteers, based in Golspie; it consisted of 5 companies, based at Golspie, Dornoch, Brora, Rogart and Bonar Bridge. In 1867 the battalion adopted the Sutherland tartan kilt and belted plaid. The 5th Bonar Bridge Company was formed in 1868. These were part-time soldiers, not Regular Army units.

Quarrying at Thurso c1890

Hello all,

I just thought I would post a link to a photograph I have for bus drivers working in Thurso in 1962. The picture link is also being posted in the Genealogy section.

I have placed the names in the picture's description, but if anyone wants any further details please let me know.

Regards,
    Steven

http://s742.beta.photobucket.com/use...20114204656831

Great photos Steven! One or two familiar faces from my childhood in Thurso.I especially enjoyed the old school photos! Were they Thurso schoolchildren? Can you date the school photos please! Ive been scanning the faces looking for my dad and his siblings!Thankyou!

nevergiveup,

Glad you liked the photo of the bus drivers from 1962 - but, to be honest, I had forgotten about the school photos I had up. Duh! I had posted them to the Genealogy board in the hope that someone would identify where they were taken, and only had one response.

The school photos are actually of my Dad's family, and they were on the Wick side of the county.

Looking at order in which they come up - clicking on the right arrow - they are as follows....

Catherine "Rena" McGregor (1922-1944), born Bilbster Mains;
    Alexander "Big Sandy" McGregor (1920-1977), born Westerseat - served WW2, and after demob settled in Edinburgh;
    Alexanderina "Bunty" McGregor (1924-2008), born Granton Mains - finally settled in Chesterfield, England;
    Alexanderina (again);
    Alexander (again)

So, I am afraid they aren't Thurso school pics, but if you know of anyone who was at the other side of the county, please pass on the pics. I'd love to hear from anyone who may be able to identify the year or people in the photo.

My Dad's family always tended to the Wick side, being variously at farms around Westerseat; Killimster; Granton Mains; Reiss Lodge; Lybster Mains; Thrumster Mains; Bilbster Mains; Bylbster; and Waterloo.

Itchy feet!

Regards,
    Steven

P.S. My Dad is in the bus driver photo - the first D McGregor (2nd from left).

Thanks for this info Steven! My interest is with the Robertsons of Thurso and Canisbay!1800 onwards!

Thought I'd post these before the tumbleweeds start blowing through.......

And finally...

And finally...with bigger images, I hope

Many thanks to the few who've tried to keep this thread breathing.
    Last edited by plasticjock; 31-Dec-12 at 01:02.

Great photos Raymond! thanks for posting! Happy New Year to you!

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Good Grief!!! What has happened to this once thriving thread? Where are all the previous posters? Where are all those who said they had images but no scanners (in spite of offers to help from others)?

I've asked Bill to unlock this thread as I had some images to post, but have to query if it'll be worth it just to satisfy a few trolls who'll download the images and disappear again.
    Such a pity Jock. I absolutely love your photo's and everyone elses. It's so good that you folks take the time to share these wonderful witnesses of days gone by. Historically, they're so important, because it gives people like me, who have become very interested in their Scots forefathers, a great opportunity to get a feel of what life looked like and meant to them. I'm sure many of us appreciate your work. Thanks very much Jock and a Happy New Year to you and yours.