Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Default thurso photos

Great views L'blue.....My grandfather was one of the first Pursers on the St Ola.
    The little shop in Scrabster sold those wonderful Pandrops !
    My father worked at the Oil Depot in Scrabster - It opened in the mid 1950s to serve Dounreay and the north.
    I sang in the Mission Hall at Scrabster.
    From a previous picture of Fred Shearer's - I still have a black silk scarf I bought there in the early 1960s - and long elbow length gloves to match !!
    I also have Fair Isle gloves and Tammy bought in the 1960s and which I wore last winter - such quality.
    Hetty Munro's picture reminded me of a Lamp I bought there in the late 1950s ( I must find it - it's in a box in the garage !)

Memories, memories !
    Trinkie

Default Doull Family

ThirsoYank.... Nice picture. The date I think is late 1940s - 1950s.
    I'm guessing by the Overalls the women are wearing.
    Most women wore an Apron like that when they were doing their housework, so another guess - the picture was taken in the morning. In the afternoons, usually no aprons were worn, apart from a half "tea apron" which was much prettier with a bit of lace on it !

What a happy, smiling, bunch they were !
    Trinkie

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Lavenderblue2, your 70s aerial photos of Thurso, Scrabster and Holborn Head are fabulous! That's pretty much how Thurso was when I left in 1978. Your pic in post number 195 must have been taken before 1975 or 1976, as there are no Upper Burnside houses in that one. The original Weigh Inn is smaller than I remembered! Here's a link to much more recent aerial photos of Thurso - all taken since 2000, I believe. It would be interesting to compare your photos with these, and see how Thurso has grown over the years!

http://www.caithness.org/atoz/thurso...urso/index.htm

Below is a view of Scrabster, Holborn Head and Thurso Bay taken from the Pennyland housing estate in early 1978. You can barely make out the Orkney Island of Hoy on the horizon, due to the haze. Usually, it was far more visible than this. That pinkish red building in Scrabster is the old lifeboat house. That might be the old St Ola docked at the pier nearby, but I'm not 100% sure. The buildings behind the house in the middle of the photo are part of the Upper Burnside housing estate, which was started in the mid 70s.

Last edited by Sporran; 10-Jul-07 at 08:07.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Default old thurso photos

Heres some from a weeker.

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    ThirsoYank.... Nice picture. The date I think is late 1940s - 1950s.
    I'm guessing by the Overalls the women are wearing.
    Most women wore an Apron like that when they were doing their housework, so another guess - the picture was taken in the morning. In the afternoons, usually no aprons were worn, apart from a half "tea apron" which was much prettier with a bit of lace on it !

What a happy, smiling, bunch they were !
    Trinkie

From the top of my head I think the picture was taken in 1948/49 but I would have to check. My great Aunt is also in the photograph, she stayed in the Turnpike in Shore Street. Her father (my great grandfather) was the last Thurso Harbour master and pilot to direct schooners into the harbour. When he first started the job there were five other men until it was left to him.

His duties also included making sure everything around the harbour was in order, doing all the paperwork for what boats came in, when they left, what they were carrying etc, lighting the lamps at the pier, weighing coal etc that came of the boats. There was a weighbridge outside his office at the ship chandlers, now a surf shop. He was paid on a quartly basis the grand sum of £3:10:0.

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Seems to have gone a bit quiet here....there must be lots more pictures to be posted.
    Here's a couple more:
    This one is from the Traill Street in the 30's. I assume the omnibus is a Thurso to Wick service?

This is Princess Street from a postcard posted in 1918 but I feel the picture is a bit earlier than that.
    Last edited by plasticjock; 12-Jul-07 at 11:25.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Seems to have gone a bit quiet here....there must be lots more pictures to be posted.
    Here's a couple more:
    This one is from the Traill Street in the 30's. I assume the omnibus is a Thurso to Wick service?
    Great photo!

It looks like the bottom of Rotterdam street, maybe taken from somewhere outside what is now Buttress's shop in the precinct.

Quote Originally Posted by gollach View Post
    Great photo!

It looks like the bottom of Rotterdam street, maybe taken from somewhere outside what is now Buttress's shop in the precinct.
    Of course it is....my apologies....doh!

Here are a couple more, one of which is a family puzzler.

This is Thurso Bridge in 1954, I think, during the big freeze.

This one looks like it was taken in the 1930's, looking down Olrig Street towards Traill Street/Rotterdam Street.
    Does anybody recognise the gent in the picture?
    Last edited by plasticjock; 14-Jul-07 at 12:00.

I've been informed that the chap's name is Alistair (not sure of last name) and he used to work at the cattle mart, and he'd chase you if you tried to cut thro the mart for a short cut.
    it's a sair fecht

Default Old Thirsa Piccys

Well done south view 7, you seem to have a great collection of wick and thurso, keep them coming please.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by highlander;240974

Well done south view 7, you seem to have a great collection of wick and thurso, keep them coming please.
    I echo highlander's sentiments, south view 7. Many thanks also to plasticjock, who has posted some fabulous old photos of Thurso as well! I like the large size of your photos, pj, as they really show up the details!

I wonder if the gent in your photo above had a son who looked a lot like him? The man's face looks familiar to me, but I was not around in the 1930s!
    Last edited by Sporran; 13-Jul-07 at 04:04.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by jings00 View Post
    I've been informed that the chap's name is Alistair (not sure of last name) and he used to work at the cattle mart, and he'd chase you if you tried to cut thro the mart for a short cut.
    Thanks for the info jings00.
    There was a chap working from the mart in the 60's with a similar aid attached to his boot. I used to see him when they were driving (droving?) the sheep down to the riverside slaughterhouse. Are you referring to the 30's chap or the 60's?

Does anyone have any pics of the High School from the late Fifties through the Sixties?
    Some staff I remember from then (please excuse mispellings):
    Mrs Halliday (French), Mr Budge, Mr Malcolm (Maths), Mr Kidd (P.E), Mrs Dunne (Science), Mrs Gunn (English), Miss Ryrie (English), Mr Fishbourne (Woodwork), Mr Lafferty (Music) Donny & Joe (Janitors).

Thurso Boating Pond late 1950's:

Hello Plasticjock

The name of the man with the built up shoe is Marwood Sutherland - that is according to 'Times Gone By' produced by the John O'Groat Journal! I was looking for something in the book this morning when here he was!

LB

Smile CAITHNESS CYCLING CLUB CIRCA 1880s

I found this link when "trawling the net". I haven't a clue where it was taken but thought it might be of interest to someone.
    http://www.caithnesscc.co.uk/Photos/...essCC1880s.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    I showed the picture to my Dad and he says that the man is indeed Marwood Sutherland. He told me that Marwood used to have a thing about picking stones off the road and moving them to the gutter. If you look at the picture you can even see a collection of little stones close to his feet at the roadside.

He thought that Marwood used to sell Rowat's tea to my granny. Door-to-door I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavenderblue2 View Post
    Hello Plasticjock

The name of the man with the built up shoe is Marwood Sutherland - that is according to 'Times Gone By' produced by the John O'Groat Journal! I was looking for something in the book this morning when here he was!

LB
    Hullo Lavenderblue2,
    Thanks for that information. Was there a picture of him in the book?
    From what I have been able to gather since reading your reply, Marwood Sutherland was quite a well-known individual.
    He was a member of an flexible writing group that met infreqently in Thurso and was quite a correspondent to newpapers and periodicals about local (Caithness) issues. According to the 1901 census he was born in Halkirk around 1868/69 and was living at 1 Houstry Road, Halkirk where his father and married brother were listed as joint tenants of the farm. Marwood's status/occupation is listed as single/journalist.
    I'm still puzzled as to why his picture was in my granny's collection....perhaps the group would meet up at Joe Cardosi's or the Ship's Wheel?

Can I just mention this link for old piccies of Thurso that I found....it's a bit of a nightmare to navigate around but worth the effort.

http://pic1.piczo.com/thursopicturehouse?g=22625450

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    I echo highlander's sentiments, south view 7. Many thanks also to plasticjock, who has posted some fabulous old photos of Thurso as well! I like the large size of your photos, pj, as they really show up the details!

I wonder if the gent in your photo above had a son who looked a lot like him? The man's face looks familiar to me, but I was not around in the 1930s!

Me neither Sporran, but thanks for the comments.
    And thanks to all the posters with special thanks to Thirsaloon for starting this thread off.
    Last edited by plasticjock; 13-Jul-07 at 15:49.

What a wonderful thread, I've just had my first look at it today. Brings back many memories, being born in Grove lane in 1942 and living in Thurso until 1963, I loved the ode to Dan Murray posted by "Gorgiman" (I think) my apologies if I got it wrong. I spent many happy days in the Lemonade factory with Dan's grandson Bobo Murray (Robert).
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Default Picture of Marine Inn

Has anything been done with this building it remained empty for many years

[quote=plasticjock;241210]Hullo Lavenderblue2,
    Thanks for that information. Was there a picture of him in the book?
    From what I have been able to gather since reading your reply, Marwood Sutherland was quite a well-known individual.
    He was a member of an flexible writing group that met infreqently in Thurso and was quite a correspondent to newpapers and periodicals about local (Caithness) issues. According to the 1901 census he was born in Halkirk around 1868/69 and was living at 1 Houstry Road, Halkirk where his father and married brother were listed as joint tenants of the farm. Marwood's status/occupation is listed as single/journalist.
    I'm still puzzled as to why his picture was in my granny's collection....perhaps the group would meet up at Joe Cardosi's or the Ship's Wheel?

Yes Plasticjock, the photo in the book was the same one as yours.

Thank you for all the interesting facts about Marwood Sutherland - I wonder what the group used to write about and what happened to their work.

LB

Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast