Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Doing missionary work in Northern England

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    I echo highlander's sentiments, south view 7. Many thanks also to plasticjock, who has posted some fabulous old photos of Thurso as well! I like the large size of your photos, pj, as they really show up the details!

I wonder if the gent in your photo above had a son who looked a lot like him? The man's face looks familiar to me, but I was not around in the 1930s!

Me neither Sporran, but thanks for the comments.
    And thanks to all the posters with special thanks to Thirsaloon for starting this thread off.
    Last edited by plasticjock; 13-Jul-07 at 15:49.

What a wonderful thread, I've just had my first look at it today. Brings back many memories, being born in Grove lane in 1942 and living in Thurso until 1963, I loved the ode to Dan Murray posted by "Gorgiman" (I think) my apologies if I got it wrong. I spent many happy days in the Lemonade factory with Dan's grandson Bobo Murray (Robert).
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Default Marwood Sutherland

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Me neither Sporran, but thanks for the comments.
    And thanks to all the posters with special thanks to Thirsaloon for starting this thread off.

Great pictures Jock!

Delighted to see them!!

Marwood Sutherland was one of the driving forces for getting the lead lettered inscription (which has a mistake on it) about Robert Dick done on his house. His letters appeared often in the local papers (Groat, Courier and Northern Ensign).

This is a fantastic thread and I love popping in to see what has been added. I have seen places I forgot existed and my children have been delighted to see Thurso of old. Thank you so much Thirsaloon and keep up the good work.

Default Thurso Streets

It's a wonderful photo of Marwood Sutherland and now - prompted by something said on the Thread, I have found a couple of his poems.
    I'll write one here but the others I'll put on the Lit Page.

O Erin, Fair Erin.
    by Marwood Sutherland
    from the Caithness Courier 19th Sept 1951.

O Erin, Fair Erin, the land I adore,
    O Erin, dear Erin, I love thee ashore;
    I love thee, O Erin, green, rugged and wild -
    No less could adore thee, thine own native child!
    The gosson's warm-hearted, thy colleens so fair
    For wit, grace and beauty, none with them compare!
    So merry, so happy, so sparkling with glee,
    Sure home of my spirit, my heart warms to thee!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    This is a fantastic thread and I love popping in to see what has been added. I have seen places I forgot existed and my children have been delighted to see Thurso of old. Thank you so much Thirsaloon and keep up the good work.

Thanks for that Wifie!

Glad it has been of interest to you.