Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1121

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    436

    Default Old Thirsa Piccys

    Two piccys folks for your viewing pleasure one of Andersons Ironmongers and one of Shore Street.


    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 30-Jan-11 at 11:02.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    thurso
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Old Thirsa Piccys

    Fantastic keep them coming, love seeing this old photos.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet
    Posts
    2,806

    Thumbs up

    Thanks so much once again, thirsaloon! I too love seeing old photos from past eras! Do you have any dates for these, and do you have more to share with us, please?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    436

    Default Andersons and Shore Street info

    Andersons the Ironmongers photograph was taken in 1911. The building was built as the first Masonic Lodge. It was said to be the most modern building of its time during construction of the newly laid out Traill Street, part of Sir John Sinclair’s plan for the new town of Thurso. The foundation stone was laid in 1808 and the building opened in 1810. It was later used as the Town Hall for a period.

    The Shore Street photograph was taken around 1912. In the distance you will see the horse and cart which has a huge load on it. The Turnpike has a date stone on it with 1686 and a marriage stone with the initials D.W.K.R. This means that someone with the initials D.W. married someone with the initials K.R. There are a few of them around the town, like at the corners of Jessie Allan’s shop etc (I know it has a new name but I have yet to re-program my brain to accept it!). Always worth looking up rather than straight ahead or down, it’s surprising what’s there is to be seen!

    Bt the way, did you notice the signwriting to the left of the middle window advertising "ammunition" for sale. There is a door upstairs which has from memory "ammunition room" or "artillery room" painted on the door and its still there yet.
    Last edited by thirsaloon; 24-Jun-07 at 15:58.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Thanks for that, I can remember when I was wee and going shopping with my mum, Andersons was still there, it is now Buttress's I believe if that is still there, its been a while since I was in town.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Thurso.. or is it Wales? Not sure, what day of the week is it?
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Seen these pictures of old Thurso, and in this week that the Viewfirth has been consigned to the quarry in the sky, thought I'd put this pick up



    It is a scan of a picture that my grandfather had, but shows the place in its granduer.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    Thanks for that, I can remember when I was wee and going shopping with my mum, Andersons was still there, it is now Buttress's I believe if that is still there, its been a while since I was in town.
    i could be wrong but isn't that the chemists next to the central ?
    beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    436

    Default Thurso Castle

    Attached below are two photographs of Thurso Castle. This is the 3rd castle which was built at Thurso East. And the forth to have been built in Thurso.
    Work on the castle in the photo's below was carried out between 1874 and 1876 when the previous castle was renovated by Sir Tollemache Sinclair.

    The tower was 8 floors and 100 feet high but the founds were made for taking an tower 40 feet high therefore it was never going to last. By 1914 the tower had already started to lean and it was evacuated. Then a sea mine was washed ashore exploding, blowing out some of the windows. Although it was thought no structural damage was done. The castle then had to be abandoned in 1951 and the roof was removed the following year.



    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 06-Jan-08 at 21:39.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    436

    Default Thirsa Shoppies!

    Another two piccys from 1911. Attached are photographs of W & G Dunnet cycle shop (where Mac Mowat served his apprenticeship) later to become Dunnets Garage and just along the road a wee bit was the Victoria Hairdressing Saloon. If you look in the foreground of the photo in front of the group of people at the cycle shop you will see some of the Thurso fish baskets that was used by fisherwomen to sell the latest catch from.



    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 06-Jan-08 at 21:41.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet
    Posts
    2,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post

    Attached below are two photographs of Thurso Castle. This is the 3rd castle which was built at Thurso East. And the forth to have been built in Thurso.
    Work on the castle in the photo's below was carried out between 1874 and 1876 when the previous castle was renovated by Sir Tollemache Sinclair.

    The tower was 8 floors and 100 feet high but the founds were made for taking an tower 40 feet high therefore it was never going to last. By 1914 the tower had already started to lean and it was evacuated. Then a sea mine was washed ashore exploding, blowing out some of the windows. Although it was thought no structural damage was done. The castle then had to be abandoned in 1951 and the roof was removed the following year.



    I would have loved to have seen Thurso Castle in its former glory! It was beautiful! We moved to Thurso in the late 50s, when I was a toddler. When I was growing up in Thurso, I always assumed the castle had been in ruins for many years. Little did I know that was not the case!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Elgin, Moray
    Posts
    25

    Post King's Procession

    This is a picture of my Gt Grandfather, James (Bunt) Munro (front right), taking part in a procession for the King. Can you confirm that this is taken in Thurso and passing the same Shearers shop referred to in previous threads? Also does anyone have any pictures of what was the "Temperence Hotel"? Thanks.

    http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...Procession.jpg

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frelaco View Post
    This is a picture of my Gt Grandfather, James (Bunt) Munro (front right), taking part in a procession for the King. Can you confirm that this is taken in Thurso and passing the same Shearers shop referred to in previous threads? Also does anyone have any pictures of what was the "Temperence Hotel"? Thanks.

    http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...Procession.jpg

    Hi Frelaco

    Yes that is the same shop. The high wall in the distance went around the National Bank, now Council Office. I have a photograph of the Temperance Hotel. It was in Princess Street. I will dig it out later for you.

  13. #13

    Default Recent Thurso Photos

    Hi Thirsaloon,
    I got a message from someone you said they were having difficulty viewing the rest of the images on photobucket so I'll just post them on the messageboard.




  14. #14
    angie Guest

    Default Old Thurso photos

    hi when i look at the majority of the pics it says that they have been moved or deleted does any1 know where to

    Thx

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angie View Post
    hi when i look at the majority of the pics it says that they have been moved or deleted does any1 know where to

    Thx
    Bill's post #645 on page 33 of this thread should help explain it.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Inverness Shire
    Posts
    3

    Thumbs up Old Thirsa Piccys

    I have been looking at the Caithness.org site for a number of years now and the other night was the first time I looked through the forum. The old pictures were great, pity some seem to have been removed as I would have liked to have seen them. A lot of the old names rung bells. Thirsaloon had one in particular of the crew of Primula. My uncle worked on the Primula. I also remember seeing one of the old Mill. My grandfather used to work there when it was a working mill. I used to go to the Youth Club there and I seem to remember that the Amateur Dramatics club used the building on the other side of the arch. I used to do a paper round for Tommy Souter in the arcade and also do some ushering at the Town Hall with my mates when the likes of Calum Kennedy etc were booked. Spent a lot of time in Gunns Garage, next to the Picture House when I was young. Went to the West Public, then the Miller Academy (Donald Dallas with the Head), the High School and finally the tech college. My mates uncle used to use the old tin hall at the West Public as a gym and myself and my mates used to do some weight training there in our teens. Big changes when you see a modern gym now.
    Anyway I must look through some more.
    Keep the photos coming it's been great to see them all.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grovelaner View Post
    A lot of the old names rung bells. Thirsaloon had one in particular of the crew of Primula. My uncle worked on the Primula. I also remember seeing one of the old Mill. My grandfather used to work there when it was a working mill.
    Depending who your grandfather is (and guessing I think I know who it is) I may have a photograph of him in the Mill.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Inverness Shire
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Thirsaloon, it would be good to see a photo if you have one.

    Cheers

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Borgie
    Posts
    54

    Unhappy Old Thurso

    Hi Thirsloon

    Followed the link for Old Thirsa Piccies this morning and am thouroughly enjoying the old photos, unfortunately after the first page am getting no photos only a message saying that photos have been moved or deleted. This is incredibly frustrating as further on there should be some photos of Gunn the Jewellers which was my dad's shop . I would really love to see these and all the others, any ideas??
    Dad died 32 years ago in 1977 and I have lots of fond memories of working with him in the shop on Saturdays and school holidays. I used to do the post office run and fetch Coffee from Danny Craig's (best in Thurso)
    Was wondering if there are any pictures of his first shop on Princes street?
    Thanks, hope you can help
    Angie Mackay

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    382

    Smile For thursoloon

    Just a quick one for you I have 251 of your Old Thurso pics on my computer,if you want I can put them on a disk and shoot it over to you,when are you going to the Rockwell again? Regards Robin
    I can resist anything but temtation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •