Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will you vote for in the 2021 Holyrood election?

Default Who will you vote for in the 2021 Holyrood election?

The next Holyrood election is due to be held on 6 May 2021. Who do you intend to vote for?

I am undecided. As usual!

certainly not the snp they talk about devolution up here in the north we had more control over our own affairs before the snp got in power

SNP. Its a means to an end. Throw off the shackles of Westminster and we can then vote for a Scottish government of any shade we want.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

everything will still be done from the central belt,there is no difference from being controled from london than from edinburgh , it makes no differnce to us up here london or edinburgh, the only thing i will add is that before before devolution and before snp got in power we had more say in our own affairs up here

Quote Originally Posted by dc1 View Post
    everything will still be done from the central belt,there is no difference from being controled from london than from edinburgh , it makes no differnce to us up here london or edinburgh, the only thing i will add is that before before devolution and before snp got in power we had more say in our own affairs up here
    I take then you will be happy with a Tory government lead by Boris Johnson for the next four years or so, followed by another Tory government after that?
    Maya Angelou

That would be great!

I am disillusioned with the main political parties (who win almost all the seats). I often find that a party makes favourable noises when in opposition, then when the get in to power, they often don't do the things that they promised (or appeared to promise) and do things that they said that they wouldn't do and there are often scandals and cover ups.

There seem to be quite a few politicians who leave school, go to university, get involved with a political party at university, are selected as a candidate in their twenties in a winnable seat and are elected without having much life experience or having had what most people would consider to be a normal job.

I used to vote for the one who's policies seemed best. After a few elections I looked at which would do me the least damage. Nowadays, I tend to politely spoil my voting paper.

It would be great if some first class independent candidates were elected as I get the impression that some party politicians care more for their party (and their rise within it) than the people that they represent.

At least candidates who had worked in a normal job for quite a few years, maybe managed people, had to make tough decisions, maybe had to overcome some hardship, maybe had been made redundant and had to get a new job. Also as they would be making decisions about public services, that they used the National Health Service when ill, sent their children to state schools, regularly used public transport etc.

gronnuck i have never voted tory so far and i am 76 yrs of age but iremember when the bins were lying uncollected and all the trouble we had ,ialso remember not that long ago when we had our own police stations in all the villages our own county council more control over more of our own affairs which we have lost since devolution and i know horseman will remember these things and we have lost a lot more

ecb......
    Your comments resonate with The Truth, and common sense....
    And
    dc1......The same.
    Approx 30 years ago, I was a Senior Advisor to our Solicitor General’s Dept..(Your Home Office).
    One of the ‘up and comers’ had started Volunteering in Politics at 14, and then to Uni in Political Science, and then Full Time Gov’t!
    He was well spoken, but need my briefing notes to get it correct, and then when a Question was asked he had to answer it ‘ On Advisement’!
    Just as you said....plus he had to follow ‘The part Line’, which sometimes was contrary to what was promised.
    C’est la vie!

dc1 and Horseman; I too am of an age to remember what all went before, but Westminster has never done Scotland any favours. The SNP might well not be to your taste, but at the moment they are the only party that can take us out of this toxic union. All the other parties are constrained by their allegiance to their London-centric Westminster headquarters and their greater England policies. Once free of Westminster we can build a new future with truly Scottish parties of any shade we wish which will have Scottish interests at their heart.
    Maya Angelou

Gronnuck,
    Perhaps you are correct.
    It just seems that this is a difficult time to be espousing separation, in the midst of all the other probs...Covid, Brexit etc.

I was just reading about the probs within the SNP.
    If they cannot agree with each other, how can they Rule!
    Transgender issues seem to be more important, than containing and eliminating Covid!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 07-Dec-20 at 18:23.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    I was just reading about the probs within the SNP.
    If they cannot agree with each other, how can they Rule!
    Transgender issues seem to be more important, than containing and eliminating Covid!

Name me one Political Party which is in total agreement? (& I don't mean being too scared to condradict your Supreme Leader). Politics is about debate & compromise.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Name me one Political Party which is in total agreement? (& I don't mean being too scared to condradict your Supreme Leader). Politics is about debate & compromise.
    Supreme Leader??? And who mite that be?

And your Caption at the bottom of your page....Pray tell....

Will probably go lib dem for the sole reason that they will stand the best chance of keeping amp out of Caithness & Sutherland once more

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Will probably go lib dem for the sole reason that they will stand the best chance of keeping amp out of Caithness & Sutherland once more
    While I would like to support the Lib Dems or the Greens, I see no point in supporting unionist parties who take their instructions from their London HQ where Scotland's interests are so low on their priority list as to be non-existent. I'd rather aspire to independence and then choose a party that has Scotland's interested first and foremost.
    Maya Angelou

I still don’t know who I’ll vote for. Perhaps no-one.

Candidates for the Caithness, Sutherland and Ross constituency:

https://whocanivotefor.co.uk/electio...land-and-ross/

The candidates for the Highlands and Islands region are

https://whocanivotefor.co.uk/electio...ds-and-islands

Interesting article in the Guardian today. The Guardian is one of the most Unionist of all newspapers yet even it sees what is happening in the UK. In the article Jessica Elgot, Deputy Political Editor comments on the view that Boris Johnson "speaks for England alone.".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-servant-warns

I'm not sure if the article is behind a paywall. Just in case it is here are the opening two paragraphs:-

"The pandemic has seeded the idea of a prime minister “who speaks for England alone” as relations between the four nations of the UK deteriorate amid “deep-rooted complacency”, a senior former civil servant has warned.

There is widespread ignorance towards the union, meaning ministers can be kept in the dark about major reforms with little consideration for the four nations, Philip Rycroft, the permanent secretary to the Brexit department until 2019, says in a report.".

As if we didn't already know. Remember his assertion that a pound spent in Croydon is of more value to the UK than a pound spent in Strathclyde.

I wonder if Boris Johnson could even point to Caithness on a map. Why would anyone want to vote for a party who has him as leader?

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Interesting article in the Guardian today. The Guardian is one of the most Unionist of all newspapers yet even it sees what is happening in the UK. In the article Jessica Elgot, Deputy Political Editor comments on the view that Boris Johnson "speaks for England alone."....
    Interesting article

No paywall on the Guardian, they just ask for a donation...

"...Unlike many others, we have maintained our choice: to keep Guardian journalism open for all readers, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay....
    If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Guardian from as little as £1 – it only takes a minute. If you can, please consider supporting us with a regular amount each month. Thank you."
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast