Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone on here got OCD ?

Default Anyone on here got OCD ?

or know anyone that does ? I've been thinking recently i've got a mild form of it. Dont mean to trivialise OCD in anyway with this thread. Maybe this has nothing to do with OCD im not sure.

Has anyone got little annoying habits ?

For me everything has to be at right angles, if I sit down and notice something not at a right angle with something else I'll get up and move it.

When Im walking on a pavement I try and avoid at all costs stepping on the cracks between paving slabs.

I'll lock a door and go back and check its locked two or three times, and every time it is still locked, then half an hour later I'll think did I lock the door then theres doubt in my head and cant rest until I've checked its locked.

I have to make a cup of tea a certain way and always have to burn my hand with the back of the spoon for some reason

Drives me mad but I cant help it.

HMMMM , KEEP TAKING THE TABLETS.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    HMMMM , KEEP TAKING THE TABLETS.
    I know

Just remembered, everytime I finish at the toilet and put the lid down I say 'make some money' EVERY TIME.

I'm diappointed at the trivialising and ignorant nature of the responses to this post. OCD is very hard for other people to live with and you need to understand that the sufferer is in a constant state of tension and anxiety. It is one of many forms of mental health problem that a person has no conscious control over - often caused by biochemical imbalances or genetic differences. 1 in 4 people will have a mental health problem at some point in thier lifetime, but the stigma, sniggering ignorance of others and discrimination that they experience can be worse than the illness itself.

So...for the orgininal poster - there are lots of people out there living with OCD and I hope someone who knows what they are talking about will contact you. My son has a health problem that may have genetic roots and his cousin has OCD. Although my son does not have OCD the genetic cause of both problems may be linked, In the meantime I have tried to be as supportive as possible to my sister in law who has found it very hard to cope with her OCD child and has wondered what she has done wrong...and I can assure you, she and my brother in law are the greatest parents I have ever come across.

And I do very well by taking my tablets for my own mental health problem and am absolutely top notch as long as I do so. Anyone want to take the micky out of me??????

Thumbs down

Orkneylass, I'm beside you ! I've had a mental health problem for the past three years, and yes I'm still on my meds and I'm becoming the person I used to be 20 years ago It's not until you find yourself in the situation, that you can begin to understand how others feel. Ocd must be a terrible ordeal for the sufferer , and I'm so glad that the support I received from my family and GP was readily forthcoming. I hope Whitewall that you have someone to confide in.

Quote Originally Posted by -whitewall- View Post
    I know

Just remembered, everytime I finish at the toilet and put the lid down I say 'make some money' EVERY TIME.
    orkneylass thought i was taking the mick, but really i was,nt i was looking at the brighter side, the things you said that you do were not that bad really .sometimes i check the to see if i,d locked the door knowing full well that i already had done so. if thats all that you do , so what you seem to be coping ok.
    ps sorry if i offended you it was certainly not my intention.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneylass View Post
    I'm diappointed at the trivialising and ignorant nature of the responses to this post. OCD is very hard for other people to live with and you need to understand that the sufferer is in a constant state of tension and anxiety. It is one of many forms of mental health problem that a person has no conscious control over - often caused by biochemical imbalances or genetic differences. 1 in 4 people will have a mental health problem at some point in thier lifetime, but the stigma, sniggering ignorance of others and discrimination that they experience can be worse than the illness itself.

So...for the orgininal poster - there are lots of people out there living with OCD and I hope someone who knows what they are talking about will contact you. My son has a health problem that may have genetic roots and his cousin has OCD. Although my son does not have OCD the genetic cause of both problems may be linked, In the meantime I have tried to be as supportive as possible to my sister in law who has found it very hard to cope with her OCD child and has wondered what she has done wrong...and I can assure you, she and my brother in law are the greatest parents I have ever come across.

And I do very well by taking my tablets for my own mental health problem and am absolutely top notch as long as I do so. Anyone want to take the micky out of me??????

As I said, didnt mean to trivilaise it in anyway, I was asking is this a mild form of OCD or something simple and normal, do all people have these little habits or is it something I should contact a doctor about ? Dont know if this was a rant at me or the 'sniggering ignorance' comment aimed at me. I certainly wasnt sniggering but yes I am ignorant, hence the reason for the thread.

As I said, didnt mean to trivilaise it in anyway
    As I read the post that you quote (and believe me I have some insight into it) it wasn't aimed at you; it was aimed at Johno's making light of your question. So relax, whitewall - you have someone on your side

thanks jabberwock, spot on.

whitewall I don't think there's anything unusual about wondering if these things your doing are so called normal or not or to give it a label OCD. Maybe they are normal to you. If it annoys you then speak to the right people to find out.

I think I must have a mild dose.. I always straighten the desks and chairs after every class has gone. I also go round the room and clear away bits of paper, and straighten the curtains. Help me!
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Has anyone got little annoying habits ?

For me everything has to be at right angles, if I sit down and notice something not at a right angle with something else I'll get up and move it.

I'll lock a door and go back and check its locked two or three times, and every time it is still locked, then half an hour later I'll think did I lock the door then theres doubt in my head and cant rest until I've checked its locked.

Drives me mad but I cant help it.

Both of the above i do all the time.

Also after i've been using the cooker i'll go back several times and check that i did turn it off. I've seen me leave the house, get half way along the road and turn back and double check the cooker is off!

Quit beating on yourselves---most of it is ok-we all do it.

Quote Originally Posted by horseman View Post
    Quit beating on yourselves---most of it is ok-we all do it.
    Yup, constantly re-checking doors/cookers/lights/cat - do things like that all the time.

i think ye kinda flew off 'e handle a bit there orkneylass

calm doon min....

i think 'e question wis weel put an presented in 'e light mannered way, lek it was ment til be taken.....
    Last edited by trix; 25-Aug-08 at 21:03. Reason: spellin...
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

We all have our own compulsions, rituals and even to a degree obsessions...these are quite normal. But when we find our little foibles are getting out of hand and we do not have the ability to control our compulsive or obsessive behaviour and they are controlling us....then it is time to ask for help. The first step is usually is done through your GP who will refer you to your Community Psychiatric Nurse.

Default ocd

yup

i cant have the volume on the tv or car stereo on an odd number, it has to be an even one.

forks, knives and spoons have to go in the same bit everytime in the drawer...it has to be knives then forks then spoons, no other order.
    also i have one teaspoon thats different and it has to sit in the opposite direction to the others.
    the coasters on the coffee table have to mirror each other.
    i cant wash my car without drying it. one time i had just finished washing it,was about to start drying it and it started raining...i ended up driving it out a dirt track so i could then wash and dry it the next day...mad
    there are plenty more but just cant think o them just now.
    i've been back and for to see the pysciatrist but i still end up doing it, have just accepted it as part of my life now.

I think we all have the "little things" we do that keep us happy but drive oh/hubbyswifes mad. I know i do with the things i do. But quite right asking for our opinions its just a shame some take it to personally.

Default Ocd

I dont think I suffer from this but surely it should be CDO, in alphabetical order as things should be !

Everyone has some sort of mental health problem not just every 1 in 4. Denial is a great thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast