Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Updated Highway Code

Default Updated Highway Code

It seems the highway code is being revised.
    See how you get on with this quiz on the updated version

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54027461

I only got 6 out of 9 on first attempt which I was pretty shocked by.
    W.A.T.P.

Cyclists would be well advised to follow the rules of the existing highway code first before embarking on a new set. Things like red traffic light signals apply to cyclists as much as they do other road users.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Cyclists would be well advised to follow the rules of the existing highway code first before embarking on a new set. Things like red traffic light signals apply to cyclists as much as they do other road users.
    see plenty of motorists failing to adhere to those rules also, amber doesnt mean floor it.
    W.A.T.P.

Oh well, the rules are finally catching up with reality I guess. Pedestrians already think they own the road, walking out without checking all the time, what happened to the "Green Cross Code"?

As for the cycle rules, with the narrow roads up here if you get stuck behind a cyclist you're stuck, no overtaking at all.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Oh well, the rules are finally catching up with reality I guess. Pedestrians already think they own the road, walking out without checking all the time, what happened to the "Green Cross Code"?

As for the cycle rules, with the narrow roads up here if you get stuck behind a cyclist you're stuck, no overtaking at all.
    you need a road of 5.5m wide to pass a cyclist safely.
    So on the single tracks, no i cannot be done, nor should it be done either, thats what passing places are for.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Pedestrians are getting to be a total nightmare. Its not viable to step out in front of traffic whilst blocking out all sound due to your headphones / earbuds, and putting all your visual attention into your phone, and still expect that 40 tonne lorry to stop on a sixpence for you. The number of folk that do that these days is getting beyond real.

And if cyclists are going to expect special treatment on single track roads, or even dual track ones for that matter, then they too will have to pay attention to the signs that say;

"Use laybys to allow overtaking"

and "Frustration Kills - Allow queues to overtake"

But no doubt they will consider their stopwatches to be more important, and that it is vital that they shave 0.5 seconds off their record for getting from Kirkwall to Stromness / Thurso to Wick*

(*Delete as applicable)

No need to pull over on the Thurso to wick road it’s fine for overtakinf