Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Moving to Caithness

Default Moving to Caithness

Hi everyone

I need some information in advance of my impending move to the Caithness area and wondered if you could help.

At present I work from home on the Internet and my supplier is Virgin Media for both Broadband and Mobile.
    I have been told that Virgin is not available in Caithness so was wondering the best way forward.

Sorry for the blunt questions but is not clear to me when I have searched google;

I will be looking for a decent TV package - Sky or BT not bothered, are these easily available?

A mobile data package, mainly for emergency hot spots and stuff not necessarily using it for calls.

Internet provider - I use this everyday but dont need it for streaming, just browsing pages etc... Reliability over speed.

Many thanks

Sent a PM.

Sky or BT both available for TV. Also for internet along with many others. In my experience internet reliability is similar across most providers - they're all serviced by openreach - but customer service varies.

For mobile phone reception can you specify where you will be living, mobile coverage and 4G in particular vary quite a lot throughout the county.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

SKY TV is satellite dish and works immaterial of location of up here.
    BT is via freeview (can be iffy) and via fast internet connection

fast mobile Broadband is quite limited particularly when you moved outside of local villages and populated areas. best then is 2G if anything

as for fast fibre broadband for the home , your best bet is to goto

https://www.cable.co.uk/broadband/fi...oadband-deals/

you'll see if fast fibre is available where you intend to move too.

outside of fibre areas you'll do good to get anything better than 2MBPS which is all but useless for home business/TV use.

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs