Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: A plague of illegal cars roaming around Caithness roads

Default A plague of illegal cars roaming around Caithness roads

I which a car that had been taken to a local tyre and exhaust centre leave and speed down the road after the mechanic told her the car was unroadworthy due to exhaust, brakes and steering faults . He said " it's a death trap and someone other than you will get seriously hurt" she give him a mouthful and left . The mechanic said" this ain't a one off its happening all the time and it's getting worse" . An hour later I saw the car running around Tescos car park and then heading back into town . What are the police doing or not doing would be closer to the truth . The worlds gone nuts.

So why didn't someone report it to the police? At least then they could look out for it. I'm sick of seeing cars generally speeding around, ignoring speed limits, treating roads like a race track. Needs more speed cameras but of course that costs money.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by dozy View Post
    What are the police doing or not doing would be closer to the truth . The worlds gone nuts.
    Alas, Dozy, you are noting what many of the rest of have been for years now. Services evaporating, particularly in the areas of law and order, as well as education and health.

The trouble with having a one trick pony as you're government.

And yes, policing is a Scottish devolved matter, and even further, the absorption of Northern Constabulary into Police Scotland was an SNP initiative.

You reap what you sow, and all that.....

There is always another side to these stories......
    There are some ‘unscrupulous’ garage mechanics and owners, making a fast Quid on ‘poor unsuspecting’ vehicle Owners!
    Food for thought.......

Was you say some garages are at it and to be fair and show both sides or the coin . My better half was told her slight knock for under the car needed new front suspension mounts . Some £280 lighter she cars still has the knocking , we found it was a broken exhaust mounting ( £11.00 fix) . So I can see why some folk are sceptical , but the car mentioned was way ,way passed a £11 fix . It was and is a wreck ,phoning the police don't work as they ask more questions about you and why you would phone than hunting down dangerous cars. The mechanic is the good guy this time and it's him that said " no point phoning " it's the police that won't and don't do anything . I know some folk are struggling over the last 6 months with the Covid thing ,but putting others in danger just ain't right . The amount of cars running around with blown exhausts ,bald tyres and faulty lights is frightening as having these failures invalidates your MOT .

Quote Originally Posted by dozy View Post
    phoning the police don't work as they ask more questions about you and why you would phone than hunting dangerous cars. The mechanic is the good guy this time and it's him that said " no point phoning " it's the police that won't and don't do anything
    Thanks for flagging this up. I'll need to bear it in mind when deciding who to vote for in the elections for the pretendy parliament next year. It's quite shocking that we now have a police service that doesn't even do anything about dangerous cars on the road. But then again, this is the same police Scotland that left 2 folk to die at the side of the M9 a few years ago.

I find the most common fault I see on Caithness cars are fog light switches. They all seem to be broken and drivers are unable to turn off their front fog lights. On the plus side, when coming up the A9, you know you are nearly home when you start meeting cars with their fog lights on.

It's on the internet that in Thurso town center , folk spotted and a dark SUV with children onboard was running around with a huge husky type dog in the front passenger seat . Crazy or what

answer for 988 . It's not that folk are driving like idiots ,it's just they don't drive like folk do in the south . That's why the insurance up here is far cheaper. Take a look at insurance figures ,most English city's or large towns have more accidents on one Monday morning than Caithness has in the year. I will concede that some drivers are slow of mind and when the pushy drivers that are used to fast busy traffic come into contact with slower ones. That comes over as brain fog and slow , others see that as being cautious . It's about accepting that places do things differently and new folk to the community don't really understand or what to accept that's just the way it's done HERE. Caithness seems to run on the different time system were seconds are three or four times longer and next week really means next year . Scandinavia countries here the same clock , it's that Smile and wave boys moment . Saying that 988, I Smile and wave .