Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Two firsts

Default Two firsts

Interesting financial news these last couple of days.

Yesterday we learned that Apple Inc's market capitalisation had exceed $2 trillion making it the first company ever to reach this milestone.

Today we learn that UK government debt has exceed £2 trillion for the first time meaning the government now owes more than the value of the entire economy.

At least when we are all heading to hell in a handcart we can still keep in touch using our phones. Oh, and we still have Brexit to come.

Oh Dozy, you're username really is well suited. UK debt is now actually sitting at nearly £2.4 tn and had been rising constantly across all Governments. Remember, it was Liam Byrne who left the "Sorry, there is no money left" note as Labour left office in 2010.

We are of course, skint beyond belief, due to;

*a completely unsustainable benefits system that encourages people to avoid working.

*sending foreign aid to countries like China and India, who can afford to have a space program.

*uncontrolled population growth

*sending twice as money to Brussels than we get back.

*Scotland frittering away cash on an Independence dream, whilst the country falls to bits.

And most latterly,

*the biggest act of voluntary and unnecessary economic suicide on record. All for a bug that is a sixth as morbid as common flu and pneumonia.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    *sending twice as money to Brussels than we get back.
    And you don't even see the irony.

From recent posts you have made it clear you don't like flagging unions and that you resent your country sending money to another country and only getting half of it back. I think we are winning you over. It's clear you really are a closet separatist after all.

The UK - the most flagging of all Unions which hoovers© up all of Scotland's revenue and only gives us half back.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    And you don't even see the irony.

From recent posts you have made it clear you don't like flagging unions and that you resent your country sending money to another country and only getting half of it back. I think we are winning you over. It's clear you really are a closet separatist after all.

The UK - the most flagging of all Unions which hoovers© up all of Scotland's revenue and only gives us half back.
    And that *sending twice as money to Brussels than we get back" from orkneycadian only applies to the one year highlighted by the Brexit crowd on the side of the bus...the year we should have paid £19 billion gross...but they carefully did not allow for the rebate, which reduced the amount we actually sent to £14 billion............or bothered to say that we got £9 + billion back in grants, or direct payments to the likes of University research.....or that it only comprised 1,5% of UK spending....or that the figure varies from year to year anyway.

The *sending twice as money to Brussels than we get back" remark has as much veracity as that other often produced one " Scotland is subsidised by England" - ie none at all!

Why do so many folk on here use the Reply With Quote function to answer the immediately preceding post? Don't they realise that you only use that function when replying to an earlier post to put their comment in context?

Yet again the Great Westminster Worshippers sing the same colonist songs ,it's a shame the people don't feel welcome in their place of birth due to the unionist hated.
    Do they hate me because I'm not English ,not a unionist, what freedom to choose, don't speak the same way , don't want to change the place I live , don't what to change the people , respect that locals should have more say, Is it some or all of the above. Is servitude no long enough ,do they have the right to rub your nose in to daily. The lying ,cheating and abuse is nothing new ,it's just the scale of it thats overpowering .
    Bad people are bad people , it looks like far to many are unionists . Unionist hate change ,that's why they hate the SNP and the YES campaign . Yet they want to change every place they turn up in, into the place they rushed to get out off .
    Last edited by dozy; 22-Aug-20 at 20:18.

Dozy, the Orkney book of surnames traces my ancestry in Orkney back to pre 1468.

Back then, Orkney and Shetland joined in what was supposed to be a temporary union with Scotland. In1707, Scotland entered into a union to form the UK. About 40 odd years ago, the UK entered into a union with other countries in Europe. The most recent has proven to be a disaster and the easiest unpicked. The divisive Scottish separatists meanwhile suggest that the older the union, the more it needs to be scrapped.

So we, and our Sheltie neighbours should be off. And we'll take our oil, fish and renewable energy resources with us. Will prove handy bargaining chips whilst negotiating to rejoin the UK.

Why do so many folk on here use the Reply With Quote function to answer the immediately preceding post? Don't they realise that you only use that function when replying to an earlier post to put their comment in context?
    You know fine well why people do it so stop stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    You know fine well why people do it so stop stirring.

This person does it because you are blocked, orkneycadian, and your posts can only be read if quoted by someone else....and sometimes the quotes irritate...hence the occasional response. I'm sure most folk on this forum are more than capable of working out which part of a preceding post is being addressed.

My theory is that fine mouse or touchscreen control is difficult when the hand being used is stuffed in a sock.

My theory is that fine mouse or touchscreen control is difficult when the hand being used is stuffed in a sock.
    And this results in the user accidentally clicking on Reply With Quote and not just Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    I completely agree with everything Orkneycadian says, especially in regards to Scexit. We are so much better off being part of the UK and independent from the EU
    Yes, I can see this Reply With Quote function has its uses! And glad to hear, Oddquine, that you have seen the light!

Orkneycadian . You think history is in your name which could have changed many times , my family now and in the past are the history of my country . The blood of those long gone relatives flowed through and over Scotland since time begun . All my family have Clan names as different branches have came together over thousand on years to being us to where we are today. A three hundred old paper giving England adsolute rule is no longer applicable and at that time it was not given not as Scots as a whole but a select few chosen by England . That piece on paper / skin or parchment , I don't believe was legal then or now . It's a lie used by abusers to keep their knee on the neck of Scots . This is the truth of it " the same blood shed that all those scots who fought and died through history ,is the same blood that flows through me that's history" .
    Last edited by dozy; 23-Aug-20 at 14:49.

You draw some interesting parallels Dozy. Orkney and Shetland were only temporarily "pawned" to Scotland in lieu of a wedding dowry. So really have no legal basis for being part of Scotland, and makes any 1707 document look legally watertight in comparison.

This gives Orkney and Shetland a number of possibilities;

*Leg it back to Denmark
    *Become truly independant from everyone.
    *Leave Scotland and rejoin the rUK

All of these options should be attractive to the Scexiteers, as they will make it easier for them to cast themselves adrift. As it stands at the moment, getting a universal Yes vote in all Scottish constituencies looks very unlikely. And the Scexiteers need every constituency to vote Yes to fulfil their own criteria. With Orkney and Shetland no longer part of Scotland, their goal will be that bit closer. But we are taking our oil, fish and other resources with us.

I remember way back in the day when Thatcher went wondering around Dounreay and the grass had to be paint green for the photos . There was mention of Orkney isles and independance that went down as well as a Covid carriers disco party in the House of Lords . England then pushing through laws to steal 60,000 square miles of the North Sea from Scottish territorial waters and renamed it English. Then Thatcher said " childish rubbish ,their nearest port of call would be Norway", making it clear that the Scottish and UK mainland would be out of bounds. I'm all for people's right to choose ,but i don't like blackmail. Funny how the name may change but the rotten principle behind it endures.
    On doubt the Westminster mafia will be looking into removing Scottish and the isle right to all the waters and seas in short order.

Can I get a half pint of whatever Dozy is on please?

Might make reading his posts altogether more understandable

‘Hids aaa in e’ CORK!