Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Tha answer to covid19

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    173

    Default Tha answer to covid19

    Ok so let me get this right! Boris & his clan are considering a lock down of all (vulnerable people) between the age of 50 - 70 should there be a threat of a second wave of the virus. Hereís the thing BoJo, who exactly are you shielding us from? Could it be the hundreds of young people gathering at illegal raves, having house parties, going to pubs where after a few pints of Stella social distancing goes right out the window. Teenagers basking in the sunshine in the centre of town drinking copious amounts of alcohol.
    Parliament decided that a few years ago that Iím fit enough to work until Iím 66 before I can retire. Also I think youíll find that the majority of people in their 50ís & 60ís have adhered to all the rules concerning the lockdown in the hope that the day would come sooner rather than later for them to be with their families again. So hereís a suggestion for you, how about a full lock down for all people under the age of 30 who believe they are immune to this virus. You might just get a result.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gaza View Post
    Ok so let me get this right! Boris & his clan are considering a lock down of all (vulnerable people) between the age of 50 - 70 should there be a threat of a second wave of the virus. Hereís the thing BoJo, who exactly are you shielding us from? Could it be the hundreds of young people gathering at illegal raves, having house parties, going to pubs where after a few pints of Stella social distancing goes right out the window. Teenagers basking in the sunshine in the centre of town drinking copious amounts of alcohol.
    Parliament decided that a few years ago that Iím fit enough to work until Iím 66 before I can retire. Also I think youíll find that the majority of people in their 50ís & 60ís have adhered to all the rules concerning the lockdown in the hope that the day would come sooner rather than later for them to be with their families again. So hereís a suggestion for you, how about a full lock down for all people under the age of 30 who believe they are immune to this virus. You might just get a result.
    Couldn't agree more!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    They're looking for a silver billet to help with Covid ,well they never found a cure for stupidity so we're doomed . Have to agree with your suggestion. Many think youth and stupidity are different sides of the same coin, then I look at Trump and Boris which shoots that idea down. Stay safe.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Having passed up on the first opportunity to control Conoravirus, by having effective border controls, the best way now it's to tell anyone who wants to hide away for the rest of their miserable lives, to do so. And those who want to do risky things like breathe air, can do that to. A bit like smokers and non smokers really. Make people accountable for their own actions. So if you go out to the pub, and pick up a mild cough, on your own head be it. Meanwhile, if you want to lock yourself up for 6 months, feel free. Just don't expect the taxpayer to pay for your self inflicted holiday.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Watten area
    Posts
    236

    Default

    For anyone that thinks covid-19 just gives you a mild cough I suggest you watch https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-my-brother-me

    50% deaths in the intensive care units

    And for everyone who believes it is just the "old" codgers that die or have serious side-effects then this video may just wake you up to the potential long term damage that this virus can cause.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    There is of course a very broad spectrum of effects. Ranging from the 85% of people who don't even realise they have / have had it, through to those with mild effects (can still work from home), more serious effects (can't work from home) to hospitalisation, intensive care and even death. everyone who gets it lands somewhere on that spectrum. even here in Orkney, where the official NHS Orkney case count is about 10, in a recent Orcadian newspaper, NHS Orkney themselves said that 1200 in Orkney could have had it. So fortunately, most folk land on the "I didn't even know I had it" end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, others land at the other end of the spectrum, and die from solely conoravirus / Convid 19. Based on the total number of UK cases, and the governments advice that just 4% died of solely conoravirus, this puts the number of real conoravrius deaths at less than 1900. A lot of deaths, I'll grant you. The other deaths were as a result of "co-mortalities" with stats suggesting that such victims had on average 2.7 life threatening conditions.

    Concern seems to be mounting universally that 4% of people will die of Conoravirus, 96% will die of something other, but will test positive for conoravirus, but even more people will die of other avoidable conditions like cancer, that are being forgotten about due to Conoravirus mania.

    It would be great to live in a country where there were no nasty conditions to either debilitate or kill people. Alas, thats nothing more than a dream. We just need to remember the existing 165,000 cancer deaths in the UK per year to bring Conoravirus back into perspective. That 165,000 people dying of a rather horrible and painful disease, before the increase we are likely to see over the next 10 years or so, by putting more importance on Conoravirus rather than cancer.

    And even aside from things like cancer, people are suffering long term damage from other ailments - Perhaps portrayed by brave nurse Sette Buenaventura

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-53695708

    Coronavirus: Nurse who ignored pain has leg amputated

  7. #7

    Default

    Once again, in my view, you are missing the point. Those people did not die of their co-morbidities, they died because they contracted coronavirus. They would not have died if they had not been infected with Covid 19.
    Over the age of around 65, the immune system naturally declines and people become more prone to infection and less resilient to fighting something off- that's the natural process of aging. Therefore I would perhaps be more likely to become seriously ill or die if I contracted this virus but it would not be my declining immune system that killed me and normally I'm fit as a flea. By the way, cancer is far more likely to afflict older people as well due to many complex factors including ones connected with aging. Thankfully, these days, many more folk are successfully treated for it and the 5 year survival rate is increasing. If you are badly affected by Covid 19, you may not even survive 5 weeks never mind 5 years.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Once again, in my view, you are missing the point. Those people did not die of their co-morbidities, they died because they contracted coronavirus. They would not have died if they had not been infected with Covid 19.
    I think using the hypothetical example that Matt Hancock used (person tested positive for Conoravirus in March, run over and killed by a bus in July) that the cause of death would most certainly have been Bus. Even though they would have been recorded as a Conoravirus death. I have not tried it personally (some probably wish I would.....), but I think death by bus is usually fairly conclusive, and I don't think the outcome will be drastically affected had you, or not as the case may be, been infected with Convid-19

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    I think using the hypothetical example that Matt Hancock used (person tested positive for Conoravirus in March, run over and killed by a bus in July) that the cause of death would most certainly have been Bus. Even though they would have been recorded as a Conoravirus death. I have not tried it personally (some probably wish I would.....), but I think death by bus is usually fairly conclusive, and I don't think the outcome will be drastically affected had you, or not as the case may be, been infected with Convid-19
    Never heard of "The Butterfly Effect".... If it wasn't for the positive test in March his life would have drifted off onto a different path, a path on which he never encounters that bus.
    ďWe're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Watten area
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Covid-19 - The BBC news website is reporting Orkney has concerning info for people living in the Orkney Islands https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...tland-53762033 - lets hope it is wrong.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Panic not, richardj, all 9 apparently only have mild symptoms. Just like the 182 in Aberdeen.

    So if 191 out of 191 have mild symptoms, and don't even require medical attention, let alone hospitalisation, where are all the folk dying of it? According to the ONS, we are now apparently in the 7th consecutive week where the total number of deaths is below the 5 year average.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Watten area
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Orkneycadian why do you think I am panicking? It is just information, updated on the BBC news website today https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...tland-53762033 The fishing boat involved in the outbreak on Orkney brought it from Aberdeen area and also stopped at Scrabster.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    I think using the hypothetical example that Matt Hancock used (person tested positive for Conoravirus in March, run over and killed by a bus in July) that the cause of death would most certainly have been Bus. Even though they would have been recorded as a Conoravirus death. I have not tried it personally (some probably wish I would.....), but I think death by bus is usually fairly conclusive, and I don't think the outcome will be drastically affected had you, or not as the case may be, been infected with Convid-19
    As mentiond in the other thread, I see the excess deaths as a true measure of the effects of covid-19, both directly - that caused by the disease, and indirectly, e.g. persons not able to get cancer treatment. Anyhoo here's an article for you,

    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a9513981.html

    As an NHS doctor, I can tell you there's no cynical plot to distort coronavirus death certificates

    These keyboard warriors love to tell the world that doctors sometimes write Covid-19 on certificates when there had not been a positive test Ė as if this is a revelation

  14. #14

    Default

    Here here!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richardj View Post
    Orkneycadian why do you think I am panicking?
    You mentioned it was "concerning" and "hoped it was wrong"

    As I read it, some key workers got a very mild case of flu, and did as the government says - Stay at home for a few days. They obviously had to go home, which is what they did.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    As mentioned in the other thread, I see the excess deaths as a true measure of the effects of covid-19, both directly - that caused by the disease, and indirectly, e.g. persons not able to get cancer treatment.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ding31july2020

    "In Week 31, the number of deaths registered was 1.0% below the five-year average (90 deaths fewer); this is the seventh consecutive week that deaths have been below the five-year average."

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    As an NHS doctor, I can tell you there's no cynical plot to distort coronavirus death certificates
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53722711

    Coronavirus: England death count review reduces UK toll by 5,000


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Here here!
    Where, where?

  18. #18

    Default

    Where, where?
    Well, quite obviously on Orkney at present, not that it will be of any smatter of concern to you of course. I doubt that your fellow islanders (my cousin is one) are so happy about it though.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    I was enquiring as to where "here, here" was.

    Anyway, looks like its not a Conoravirus lockdown we need, but one for common or garden flu and pneumonia;

    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f...ovid-9wlzsdlh9

    Flu and pneumonia killed five times more than Covid last month


  20. #20

    Default

    I have been told from the Horse’s Mouths, (well you know from whom), there was no consistency in the criteria for reporting of Covid deaths, particularly in the beginning.
    Perhaps NH could comment on that issue.
    Then to Countries....China had 4,700 deaths.....Yup! In Hunan Province the Crematoriums were going 24 hours a day for weeks!
    And there were hundreds of thousands of Urns were ordered.....And in China, 21 million cell/mobile phones were cancelled in Jan and Feb alone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •